Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48855 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational then reality.
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2013, 03:14:48 pm »

400%? Well, ain't that just dandy.

Read the contract very carefully. If only to annoy them  :P  Any horrible subclauses they want m to sign?
What kind of information do they want from me? Think about how much money I'd need minimally to survive for a week or two.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2013, 06:54:57 am »

Sam peruses the store's selection of ammunition, keeping in mind what kind he has 50 rounds of already and what all could fit in the revolver, as well as looking at prices on hand-loading equipment, if the store has any.

((Can I get a description on my revolver and the ammo, in other words? I was somewhat hoping not to use an action on it. Also, I put the 'what all could fit in the revolver' because if it's a .357, it can also load .38, for instance.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2013, 04:37:59 am »

Better... A loan would probably do me better, though what do I actually need...

I'll have to make a note to come back and check the reports later today, see if there's any indication of it spreading outside medical... and what could have changed...

Try and make a guess at how quickly I could get money at a local bank, vs a cash advance place.

Check email (that invariably hasn't been used in months)

Take a look at recent news reports (before the Beginning) involving something new at all three area hospitals, or with larger trends in Medical policy.

Find a forum / social media group frequented by the local medical community, read through recent posts.

(( Gah, I need to speed myself along if I'm going to not deadlock you, Pyro. XD
Or I could just be in two times at once. Timey wimey ball and all that weeping.
Yeah, that's a poor solution. ))
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:47:16 am by Kriellya »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2013, 08:21:07 am »

((Hurry up, I'm stalling for information about stuff, which might give you a chance to catch up before I go and do a multi-hour long action.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2013, 01:45:54 pm »

Brian sighed as he hung up.  He'd just have to try tomorrow.

He sat down on the couch and rubbed his temples.  What did this all mean, really?  What
was the end of the world, anyway?  The planet blowing up?  Everyone dying?  Just the end of civilization?  It was all very cryptic.

He sighed, sitting and thinking.

Ponder what could be meant by the end of the world.  Recollect on the dream.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2013, 03:28:04 pm »

400%? Well, ain't that just dandy.

Read the contract very carefully. If only to annoy them  :P  Any horrible subclauses they want m to sign?
What kind of information do they want from me? Think about how much money I'd need minimally to survive for a week or two.

You read the contract very slowly and carefully, making lots of contemplative faces and furrowing your brow like you know what half this legalese means. They get increasingly nervous and uncomfortable with every second that passes; 10 minutes in they look like a Cocaine mule passing through a customs booth.

The contract is filled with things you don't understand, but it seems to be designed to hit you with massive interest payments, wreck your credit and steal your property when you can't pay. Huh. Well, assuming your dream was right -And you're very sure it was-that shouldn't really matter. Over all, it seems extremely dishonest and underhanded, but legal. Better then a loan shark who will break your knees with a bat, rather then just metaphorically with a lawsuit. As per the information; they've already taken what they want. Cash advance places don't really care why you need the money, they just want to be the one to loan it to you at massively inflated prices.

You grab the pen and pause, thinking hard before you enter the amount and sign.

Well, cheap food and water won't cost much, a few hundred...but really it all depends on what you want to do to prepare for those times. Do you want to live in your car? Do you want to get some sort of shack to operate out of? What supplies beyond food and water do you need? Gasoline? Weapons? It all depends on your plans for the future.

Sam peruses the store's selection of ammunition, keeping in mind what kind he has 50 rounds of already and what all could fit in the revolver, as well as looking at prices on hand-loading equipment, if the store has any.

((Can I get a description on my revolver and the ammo, in other words? I was somewhat hoping not to use an action on it. Also, I put the 'what all could fit in the revolver' because if it's a .357, it can also load .38, for instance.))
Your revolver is a Colt Python, 4 inch, given to you by a friend as a retirement present when you left the navy. It uses .357 Magnum Cartridges. The store has a variety of ammunition available for it, including hollow points and even a few wildcat types made by the owner with strange names like "The Penetrater" and "Bullseye Jim". There's hand loading equipment, plus quick loaders, scopes, laser sights, carrying cases, custom engraving, the works. It seems likely that if you want it, he'll have it; assuming it's not military restricted or anything.

God bless America.

Better... A loan would probably do me better, though what do I actually need...

I'll have to make a note to come back and check the reports later today, see if there's any indication of it spreading outside medical... and what could have changed...

Try and make a guess at how quickly I could get money at a local bank, vs a cash advance place.

Check email (that invariably hasn't been used in months)

Take a look at recent news reports (before the Beginning) involving something new at all three area hospitals, or with larger trends in Medical policy.

Find a forum / social media group frequented by the local medical community, read through recent posts.

(( Gah, I need to speed myself along if I'm going to not deadlock you, Pyro. XD
Or I could just be in two times at once. Timey wimey ball and all that weeping.
Yeah, that's a poor solution. ))

It would probably take days, really. The bank is gonna sit there and run background checks, credit checks, struggle through red tape, and then finally deny you because you're a damn homeless man with questionable credit. In fact, you're pretty sure you have to have a living address to even be considered.

You check your mail. There are a few emails from your children, mostly asking where you are and if you're alright; but they get fewer and then stop all together within a few months. Then there's nothing really; a lot of spam, a lot of crap that you don't care about, old automated emails from magazines you used to read about the expiration of your subscription, your dentist calling to say you should come in, blah blah blah.

You can't find anything that coincides between the three hospitals; there doesn't seem to be anything new added to them all in the recent past, let alone anything added to even one of them that could explain this. No level 4 biohazard labs or strange patients or alien artifacts or anything. It seems completely spontaneous yet it appeared in several places at the same time. It just doesn't make sense.

You don't find anything of interest in the medical community forums, other then the fact that they've gone very quiet recently. Hmm.

Brian sighed as he hung up.  He'd just have to try tomorrow.

He sat down on the couch and rubbed his temples.  What did this all mean, really?  What
was the end of the world, anyway?  The planet blowing up?  Everyone dying?  Just the end of civilization?  It was all very cryptic.

He sighed, sitting and thinking.

Ponder what could be meant by the end of the world.  Recollect on the dream.
The dream is a bit hard to remember now, after a long day of Nihilistic planning and wandering. You remember fire consuming the room, consuming you. It formed the words "The End Is Near" and then those words glowed so bright you were destroyed by them. You rest your head in your hands and try to think what it could mean. You feel like it can't be anything good, clearly, but the degree is important. Surely the end of civilization as we know it...but total extinction of all mankind?  But then why would you dream of it? What gave you the dream and why would it give you it if you were destined to die? And is it destruction or is it simply change that many will not survive.

The only thing that really comes to mind is something you heard a street preacher scream on the corner in the city one day.

"The first flood was by water, and when it was done god promised never to flood the earth with water again. For the next time, he would flood it in fire."

Times:
Toaster: 9:00 pm
Kri: 12:05 Pm
Radio: 2:30 PM
Pyro :2:00 PM

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2013, 07:13:15 am »

Okay... that's unfortunate. I'll have to keep an eye on these forums, see if anything comes up later today as things develop.

Hmm. Okay. I could try and get a safehouse, or I could reinforce my van and stay mobile. Either way, more money would be good... any legal method would do...
Should also get a new cell plan... once again, not likely to pay for it if things progress, and could be quite useful in the next few days. A computer would be similar.

Last few things with the library!
-- Look up 'safehouses' / high security buildings, interested in prices.
-- Look up a nearby 'reputable' cash advance place
-- Look up the cellular provider with the best service in the city by # of towers, find the nearest of their locations and current deals on phones and plans
(I'm under the impression that, given that I'm on a prepaid plan, I have a more traditional cell?)
-- See if the library happens to have a copy of the manual for my vehicle. Failing that, find a 'do-it-yourself vehicle repair' book.
-- Also find a book on first-aid and practical medical care
-- And pick up a few good sci-fi books

Then depart the library, check the fuel guage, and head for the cash advance place.
Fill out the paperwork for 5k, make sure that they have no reason to demand money from me for at least 2 weeks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2013, 10:15:55 am »

((Hm. I really didn't think this through, did I? :P))
((Hum ho. Lemme try this, I suppose.))

I grin faintly at the sight of the old building, though my feeling is blurred by the new receptionist. How times must've changed with my absence ... but if the world's really ending I might as well make a good difference in what time we have left.
Excuse me, miss? Where is everyone? Are they still containing the hospital situation?

Ask.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2013, 11:43:19 am »

After contemplating a bit, Rico writes down '5000$' and signs the paperwork. Check how long it normally would take for them to start demanding payments from me.

After receiving the dough, Rico Goes to place 2000$ on his bank account, then goes to nearest big mall and starts shopping for survival equipment. Stuff like a big jerry can, decent pocket knife, tent, sleeping bag, and everything on this list ('complete survival kit' from http://www.basegear.com/gear.html)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Try not to spend more than 1500-2000. Food, drink and gas come later. Store everything in SUV, make sure it's decently secured.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2013, 11:31:48 am »

((A Python, nice.))

Sam tries to think what kind he already has 50 bullets for while examining some of the wildcat loads available.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2013, 03:13:55 pm »

No toaster yet eh? We'll, I'll wait till this evening.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »

Just pass me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 19, 2013, 03:23:20 pm »

Brian has reached the point of "done for the day but too early for bed."  I'll try to come up with something for next time.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2013, 05:26:51 pm »

Okay... that's unfortunate. I'll have to keep an eye on these forums, see if anything comes up later today as things develop.

Hmm. Okay. I could try and get a safehouse, or I could reinforce my van and stay mobile. Either way, more money would be good... any legal method would do...
Should also get a new cell plan... once again, not likely to pay for it if things progress, and could be quite useful in the next few days. A computer would be similar.

Last few things with the library!
-- Look up 'safehouses' / high security buildings, interested in prices.
-- Look up a nearby 'reputable' cash advance place
-- Look up the cellular provider with the best service in the city by # of towers, find the nearest of their locations and current deals on phones and plans
(I'm under the impression that, given that I'm on a prepaid plan, I have a more traditional cell?)
-- See if the library happens to have a copy of the manual for my vehicle. Failing that, find a 'do-it-yourself vehicle repair' book.
-- Also find a book on first-aid and practical medical care
-- And pick up a few good sci-fi books

Then depart the library, check the fuel guage, and head for the cash advance place.
Fill out the paperwork for 5k, make sure that they have no reason to demand money from me for at least 2 weeks.

The first search turns up things about installing panic rooms and various things about high security locations available only to those high up in the government. Everything looks either outside your clearance level or budget. You contemplate attempting to becoming a US senator in the next few days but quickly write it off as a fate worse then death.

"Reputable" and "Cash advance" don't exactly go together, but you find one a few blocks away regardless.

It appears as though most of the towers are owned by Crown Castle International, which uses them to provide service over several networks. Over all, it seems like any of the major brands are gonna be about equal, if you care about is basic connectivity at least. As per pricing, most of them give you a phone for free, it's the policy they charge you for. The most basic plan you can get looks like it's 35.99 a month with some fine print talking about a "buy in" price. Of course, this all assumes electricity even lasts much longer.

You leave the computer and wander the aisles of the library for a while, checking under reference first. You can't find a manual for your exact model car, but you can find one for a similar model from the same manufacturer and a generic "Do it yourself" guide.  Next you move into the rather small medical section. Almost everything in it is either a text book or something talking about a very specific field of study; the only book on basic medical care is a EMT training manual.

That done, you wander into the sci-fi aisle and choose a few interesting looking books: Wireless by Stross, a collection of Phillip K Dick short stories, Stranger in a strange land, A mote in God's Eye, Forever War, etc.

You take your books and check out at the front counter before driving to the cash advance place you found earlier. As you walk in, intent on getting out some cash, you notice there is another customer here; a man in rather wrinkled looking close who appears to be a bit...well, crazy eyed. He seems to be taking out a hell of a lot of cash.

You're getting sorta hungry and thirsty again.

((Hm. I really didn't think this through, did I? :P))
((Hum ho. Lemme try this, I suppose.))

I grin faintly at the sight of the old building, though my feeling is blurred by the new receptionist. How times must've changed with my absence ... but if the world's really ending I might as well make a good difference in what time we have left.
Excuse me, miss? Where is everyone? Are they still containing the hospital situation?

Ask.

The lady barely even takes the time to look up at you.

"The Redfalls police department is doing all it can to control the situation. However, I cannot provide statements about their actions on any case or incident."

Standard reply for when things get hectic and the last thing anyone needs is a reporter breathing down their neck over someone misspeaking. If you wanna get in, you're gonna have to convince her you're not just looking to cause trouble. Or at the very least try to get her to find someone who would vouch for you; if there's even anyone left back there.

((A Python, nice.))

Sam tries to think what kind he already has 50 bullets for while examining some of the wildcat loads available.
You have a box of soft point rounds.

As per the wildcat loads most of them seem to be either designed to increase accuracy at the cost of damage -for sport shooters who want to hunt paper targets- and a variety of damaging increasing loads including one that appears to be attempting to emulate the infamous black talon. Wait, why does he have a Wildcat shotgun load full of tiny steel cubes? The hell would that even do?

After contemplating a bit, Rico writes down '5000$' and signs the paperwork. Check how long it normally would take for them to start demanding payments from me.

After receiving the dough, Rico Goes to place 2000$ on his bank account, then goes to nearest big mall and starts shopping for survival equipment. Stuff like a big jerry can, decent pocket knife, tent, sleeping bag, and everything on this list ('complete survival kit' from http://www.basegear.com/gear.html)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Try not to spend more than 1500-2000. Food, drink and gas come later. Store everything in SUV, make sure it's decently secured.

You write down 5000 and hand it to the people, who minutes later bring you a fresh wad of bills and start counting it out in front of you. You restrain a smile. They'd come after you for this much within a week; luckily you gave them a phoney address. That should keep them busy until...complete societal collapse. Aw, now you made yourself sad.

They're at 4300 when a rather strange looking man with a pony tail, too big suit and a craving for currency in his eye. Normally you'd write him off as a homeless man in a stolen suit attempting to get money to fund his drug habit, but for some reason you feel a strange kinship to him...a feeling like he is somehow related to you, or at least to your situation.

Brian has reached the point of "done for the day but too early for bed."  I'll try to come up with something for next time.

You spend an hour carving Crosses and other various religious symbols into the remaining bullets in the box and then wondering exactly how much sheep's blood would cost and where you would buy it.

The only ones who really advanced in time were toaster (10:00PM) and kri (2:30 pm)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37