Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48738 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational then reality.
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2013, 08:20:37 pm »

Samuel notices the newcomer with a start.

IV stands don't sound too dangerous, but seeing one being used to batter through a cinderblock wall? That's just terrifying.

However, I'm sure some kind of explanation for this mess will crop up once those afflicted with this madness are pacified and professionally examined. Notions of apocalypse are absurd, especially if they just come from a peculiar dream.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2013, 12:45:36 am »

I'm tired, so I'll do this tomorrow.

Kri, Pyro, feel free to talk to each other without needed it to be an action. I'll factor it in to your times.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2013, 01:02:52 am »

((Nice avatar.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nunzillor

« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2013, 04:11:25 am »

Well written piecewise game is well written.  Posting to watch.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2013, 04:42:09 am »

(( You know what the biggest challenge I'm having here? Trying to make bluffs with information my character knows without using information *I* know. Cause, for example, if I were to 'bluff' that Livwits had killed someone... well, it would be completely accurate and they would have nothing to question the bluff on, at least at that point. And it's an entirely justifiable 'bluff', but not the only option, and it's the only one I can come up with because I know that *is* what happened XD ))

That would be rational. But then, what is rational about today? It started with a dream, yes, but the dream didn't end. Something happened in the snoozer, and at the time it looked... well, perhaps not normal, but explainable. Understandable. But it didn't stay isolated, and the entire hospital is anxious about it. A fellow physician, a man you probably see every day, shoved an IV Pole through a wall. For no reason. And now you're talking to a man in a suit that knows your dream, and knows you can't forget it. As much as I would like it to still be here... Rationality has left the building.

Thomas glances away from the doctor at the exits.

And I fear that if we don't leave with it, we may never leave...

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »

If there's anywhere rationality has vacated, it's starting to look like you.

Sam's eyes narrow at the man.

And who are you, anyways, and what do you know of me? You act like you know me and what is going on far better than I believe I've said.

((Yeah, I'm being the Scully, Mulder.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2013, 03:51:05 pm »

((Oopsie.))

Brian stared at the ruins of his computer.  What was going on here?  Last night... was it catching up to him?  He thought of the pills, but he had already had one...

Maybe a nap would do some good; clear his head or something.  He still had no idea what he needed to do.

Naptime.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You look at the wreckage of your computer and furrow your brow.

"Yep. Probably better for me to just be unconscious for a while..."

You shake off the shattered remains of your pc and head to the bedroom, again crawling under the covers wearing the same clothing. A few minutes later you get back out of bed, close the windows and the blinds and attempt to block out every source of noon-day light you can. Even after the windows are sufficiently barricaded, the sleep that you get is restless and transitory. For several hours you hover on the edge of true sleep, semi-consciously drifting between darkness and hazy half waking. When you finally get out of bed, several hours have passed. 

You're feeling pretty thirsty and somewhat hungry.

"Well, that was unnerving. Still better than the infomercials though."

More tv, or rest if no more information can be found.

You flip through the channels for a few minutes. You find something that looks somewhat interesting on channel 98, but it turns out it's just some evangelical preacher talking about how Obama is the anti-Christ and that bar codes are the mark of the beast. He also goes on a long rant against communism; the contents of which make it very clear he doesn't actually know what communism is or entails.

But he is extremely sure that it is evil and that he doesn't like it. Hm.

You shrug and lay down on one of the tables, trying to make yourself as comfortable as possible on the hard, flat, unyielding surface.  You fall asleep nearly instantly, the adrenaline of the morning's events finally fading and leaving you unexpectedly tired.

You wake up several hours later, with the sunlight of late morning or early afternoon streaming through the tall windows of the game room. You blink your stinging eyes, trying to get accustom to the glare.

"Mr. Vaskez" Someone beside you says, in a firm but not threatening voice. You sit up and slowly turn to face the speaker, a man in plain clothes with a silver badge clipped to his belt.

"It's Vasquez." You mutter.

"I have some questions I'd like you to answer." The man says, pulling a tape recorder from his jacket and placing it down on the table next to you. "Can you tell me what happened with Doctor Hubard this morning?"

Well that was pointless. I suppose if things really go to shit I can go to the police station. No way that'll go wrong.

Idly look up survival guides and such.
Also check the time.

You search online for survival guides. Most are, unsurprisingly, wilderness survival guides. The few that aren't, survivalist guides, are usually still under the impression that you should probably be off in some remote wilderness somewhere, reenforcing your shack against the encroachment of the FEDS and DEA and/or Zombies.

There is one you find about survival in an urban environment, though it's more of a checklist then a real guide of sorts.

Quote from: Jeb's guide to city survival
1. Food, water, and a shitter. You're gonna want a hell of a lot of it. Enough to last you for the foreseeable future. And make sure to get stuff that isn't dependent on refrigeration or will go bad quickly. And that shitter is extremely important too. Chances are you're not gonna have indoor plumbing and you don't really want to have to go cop a squat in the woods or shit in a bucket in the corner. Beyond the smell, it's a good way to get sick. Have a way to dispose of waste. And toilet paper or some sort of substitute.

2.Survival supplies. Medical supplies, flash lights, candles, matches, guns and ammo, knives, machetes, four wheel drive trucks and cars, crank powered radios and tv's, tools, stocks of gasoline and batteries, generators, electronic parts, blankets, coats, fans, flares, the list goes on. In a survival situation, you should strive to have everything you need already bought, labeled and ready to use. Every thing you don't have either means living without it or risking your life venturing out into the world, searching for it.

Take the time to think about what you need and what the things you need, need. If you want to try and make contact with others, a good CB radio set up is a good idea. If you want to be able to track broadcasts, you'll need a tv or radio thats not dependent on outside electrical sources, if you have some sort of chronic illness, you're gonna need a supply of meds. And so on.

3.Become independent. That electricity, that heat, that water, that healthcare, that protection, all those things civilization gives you, expect them to stop. Be ready for this.

4. Entertainment. Like war, a large part of survival is waiting. Plan for this. Books are probably the best, since they don't need power and you can use them any time there's light. Find good ones, ones you can read a few times, and long ones. Get paper back to save some weight. Paper and pencils, white boards and markers, board games or cards if you're not alone. Simple things to keep you busy and help you relax. You can't spend all day staring out the window.

5. Fortify your location INTERNALLY.  If your location is exposed (I'd recommend against it, but if it is) then it needs to blend in. Nothing screams "Come raid me" like a fortified compound. And while you can reenforce your personal fortress all you want; if they want in and they have the time and numbers to waste, then they're gonna get in. So window bars should go on the inside, Doors should be metal core but look standard from the outside, walls should be metal lined but look like stucco from the yard, etc. Really, the best thing you can do in a normal house is use the basement as your location and hide the entrance in such a way that people can raid and loot the house but never find your bunker.

6.Plan for all your plans to fail. Have backup locations, caches of supplies, escape routes, even a painless method of suicide ready, if you're feeling fatalistic. Because even if things go perfect and you have a fortress that would make medieval castles green with envy, it doesn't mean shit when a wild fire comes sweeping in, or a flood, or a earthquake. Assume the castle will fall. Assume everything will go wrong. Plan for it. The key to survival is never letting yourself be surprised.

If there's anywhere rationality has vacated, it's starting to look like you.

Sam's eyes narrow at the man.

And who are you, anyways, and what do you know of me? You act like you know me and what is going on far better than I believe I've said.

((Yeah, I'm being the Scully, Mulder.))
(( You know what the biggest challenge I'm having here? Trying to make bluffs with information my character knows without using information *I* know. Cause, for example, if I were to 'bluff' that Livwits had killed someone... well, it would be completely accurate and they would have nothing to question the bluff on, at least at that point. And it's an entirely justifiable 'bluff', but not the only option, and it's the only one I can come up with because I know that *is* what happened XD ))

That would be rational. But then, what is rational about today? It started with a dream, yes, but the dream didn't end. Something happened in the snoozer, and at the time it looked... well, perhaps not normal, but explainable. Understandable. But it didn't stay isolated, and the entire hospital is anxious about it. A fellow physician, a man you probably see every day, shoved an IV Pole through a wall. For no reason. And now you're talking to a man in a suit that knows your dream, and knows you can't forget it. As much as I would like it to still be here... Rationality has left the building.

Thomas glances away from the doctor at the exits.

And I fear that if we don't leave with it, we may never leave...

Thomas and Sam spend a few minutes talking in the lobby. During that time, nothing horribly different happens. Another pair of security guards wanders toward the elevators, less urgently then the others, and a few men in police uniforms walk in through the front doors and disappear back toward the OR.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:53:50 pm by piecewise »

Nunzillor

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2013, 02:18:04 am »

Can I ask how the hunger system works?

Also, piecewise, do you watch The Simpsons?

Lastly, what exactly is "experimental" about this RTD?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:07:42 am by Nunzillor »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2013, 10:02:57 am »

Brian stood up and shook off his head.  This affliction... curse... vision... despite everything, it still didn't seem real.  He wasn't sure what was and wasn't real at all.

He looked down.  Well, that hunger felt real enough.  He could use dinner... and those tinned beans didn't appeal.  Well, probably no reason to save money now...

Put on clean clothes and go to a steakhouse for dinner.  Splurge on dessert too.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2013, 10:09:14 am »

"Sure, but could I please be allowed to get dressed and washed first? This is no way for a man to present himself. Some breakfast would be nice to, y'know. I promise not to run or anything, you can watch me if you don't trust me."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2013, 11:31:07 am »

Can I ask how the hunger system works?

Also, piecewise, do you watch The Simpsons?

Lastly, what exactly is "experimental" about this RTD?
Hunger system is fairly simple. The character's endurance determines how quickly they get hungry and thirsty; characters with higher endurance can go longer without food and water.  Each character has a little  ratio, like 25/25 for hunger and thirst. And as time passes or they perform strenuous actions, the ratio decreases, to like 23/25 or 14/25 etc. When they hit certain ratios (like 3/4ths or 1/2) then effects start to happen.

I used to, years ago, with my dad. We'd watch them on sundays when the new episodes were airing. I haven't watched in years, but I've heard they've gone down hill. At some point I'm probably just gonna download a bunch of the good seasons and watch them.

The fact that I'm using a system that I consider only kinda done. And haven't used before. And I'm not showing rolls. And I'm also using the players as lab rats, of sorts.

Nunzillor

« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2013, 07:24:04 pm »

Ah, I see.  I asked about The Simpsons because one of the characters is an extremely pleasant man named Dr. Hubbard, and I was wondering if naming the crazed homicidal doctor that was a joke.

EDIT: Also, I like this style of eliminating visible rolls.  More realistic.  Definitely makes it more book like.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:04:25 am by Nunzillor »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2013, 11:38:52 am »

"Sure, but could I please be allowed to get dressed and washed first? This is no way for a man to present himself. Some breakfast would be nice to, y'know. I promise not to run or anything, you can watch me if you don't trust me."

The man's eyes narrow.

"Listen you. I've got calls coming in from hospitals, urgent care clinics, doctor's offices and fucking nurses stations in schools. What Hubard did" He jerks his hand back toward the the hall with your old room, "Is happening all around the damn city. And we have no idea why. So you suck it up and you tell me what the fuck it is you saw; because if we don't stop this, they're all gonna shut down. There isn't gonna be healthcare in this city. You know how many people are gonna die because of that?"

Brian stood up and shook off his head.  This affliction... curse... vision... despite everything, it still didn't seem real.  He wasn't sure what was and wasn't real at all.

He looked down.  Well, that hunger felt real enough.  He could use dinner... and those tinned beans didn't appeal.  Well, probably no reason to save money now...

Put on clean clothes and go to a steakhouse for dinner.  Splurge on dessert too.
You crawl out of bed and change for the first time in what feels like days. You put on a relatively nice pair of pants, a long sleeved shirt and a jacket to deal with the cold. It's already getting dark out, harsh, clean winter sunshine giving way to dull, gray night. You shiver as you sit down in the car, rubbing your hands together as you wait for the heater to start.

The closest steakhouse is a little place down by the Riverbend Marina, a place called "The Pier", where you took a blind date once. It didn't work out, but the at least the dinner was good. As you drive, you reflect on the strangeness of naming a steak house "The Pier". Sure, its south facing bay windows had a great view of the marina and the river as it headed seaward, but it still sounds like the name of a sea food place. It's what your date had thought too. One of the many disappointments of that evening. You sigh and breathe into your hands, the heater not doing quite enough to warm you up.

The restaurant is fairly empty when you get there. A family or two, a few couples, but nothing thats keeping the waitresses too busy. They seat you over in a booth near the bar; you can't see the windows that look out over the river, but at least you can see the TV hanging over one corner of the bar. The bar itself is empty, except for the bartender who is leaning against the inside edge of the counter and watching tv. You look over the menu while half watching the television. They're talking about hospital shutdowns and some sort of mass hysteria effecting medical professionals.

A waitress takes your order a few minutes later. You order the steak dinner, same as last time, and continue to watch as you wait for it. The news anchor talks about a total shut down of all three hospitals in the city, as well as the majority of doctor's offices. About  how efforts are being taken to transfer patients out of the city and to set up emergency clinics until the hospitals can be reopened. He talks somewhat cryptically about large numbers of doctors becoming violent, and replays footage of a press conference from earlier that day when a hospital director told the public about a doctor killing comatose patients. It's all fairly restrained, considering how dire the situation really seems.

The food, when it comes, is nothing terribly special, but the steak is good enough, so you don't mind. Once it's done, you order a piece of apple pie and enjoy it so much you buy the rest of the pie off them. They give it to you in a big white cardboard box, along with a the check. You pay without even really looking at it, giving them a large tip.

You back out into the parking lot and stand there, pie held in cold hands, wondering where to go now.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2013, 12:41:33 pm »

(( Sorry, keep getting delayed XD
That, and sometimes my email notifications fail me... Or get lost. Ah well.
And I would expect nothing less, Pyro :P ))

Thomas shrugs for a moment and turns back to the desk.

Perhaps I don't know you. I certainly don't know what's going on, but I aim to find out. You're the one who mentioned a dream when I said some words. I only extrapolated from there, assuming that if you've had a similar dream to mine, then those words are haunting you, tickling at the back of your mind while you try and make it through the day. That's not normal for dreams. And this isn't normal for hospitals.

Thomas grabs a pen and a business card from the receptionist and scribbles his cell number, followed by "The End is Near" on the back

I've run out of options here for now. I'm not part of this hospital anymore, they won't let me in. At least not now. If they're still open tomorrow, they might be desperate enough. But something is happening here. If you are going to remain here today, watch for it. If you survive and learn something, give me a call.

He pockets the pen and pushes the business card across the desk to the doctor.

I just want to help. One last time. Luck be with you.

He bows slightly to the doctor, and then heads for the exit
As always, pause briefly if conversation :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2013, 06:03:56 pm »

Well you know what, I know a bad situation when I see one. I'm outta here.

Pack up my personal possessions and all the food and water.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37