Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48698 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Philosophical Rage Edition.
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »

((Blame 504 for short RP))

Damn.  No luck on the TV.  Maybe the Internet would be better?

Surf news online.  Start local, then look for oddness more widespread.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2013, 11:21:45 am »

Note to self: never go there.
What's the world coming to if I have to say that about hospitals. Hmm. Who was that doctor, though?

Putter over to computer again and try to find out who the homocidal doctor was and what he looked like.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2013, 01:38:52 pm »

Samuel quickly hurried back into his office and locked the door, getting on the phone to hospital security.

Security, this is Dr. Richard in GP, there's another doctor that would appear to have had some kind of breakdown. He's just standing in office (insert office number here), which has been mostly torn apart, and he's unresponsive. Normally I wouldn't call for something like this, but with what's been going on, I feel it prudent that I let you deal with it. It doesn't appear that anyone's been harmed yet, but let's not have another Livwit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You slowly back up away from the door and tip toe back to your office. You close the door behind you and lock the heavy deadbolt  before walking to the phone and dialing security.

"We'll send someone there as soon as we can, but there are other instances we're taking care of right now." The man on the other end of the line replies after you tell him whats happening. "Listen, there are police units coming. Keep your door locked for now, tell the receptionist to hold your patients and wait. It will do you no good to try and do anything on your own."

That's... unfortunate. Must be serious. And judging from how disappointed your people look that he didn't have any history, whatever has happened must have been completely unexplained as well. That's concerning. Almost terrifying, given that we're in a hospital, surrounded by medical professionals who should know... If you think I can help at all, do not hesitate to contact me. But you probably have work to do cleaning up after... whatever, so I'll leave you to it. Luck to us all.

Parting words. If no particular response, meander my way out of the hospital, watching carefully for more oddities on my way out.

Try and remember if I have a cell phone in the van, and whether or not it is active.
(that is, active service plan)

They don't seem to have much more to say to you, so you leave, taking the elevator back down and out into the first floor lobby. Two security guards take the elevator you just arrived on, speaking into their radios in incomprehensible code about some sort of incident on floor two. Another pair rush to make it in before the elevator's doors close, their radios chattering about the morgue.

You remember that you have a cellphone, an old prepaid one with maybe an hour worth of time left on it. You bought it with the intention of calling your children at some point. You never did quite get around to doing that though.

((Blame 504 for short RP))

Damn.  No luck on the TV.  Maybe the Internet would be better?

Surf news online.  Start local, then look for oddness more widespread.

You head to the local news' forum and scan through the postings. Most of them are talking about something happening at a hospital downtown. A lot of it is typical internet garbage; vague theories of terrorist attacks, talk of obamacare euthanasia programs, rambling about Kevorkian.  From what you can piece together, a doctor at Redfalls general killed several comatose patients.

On a national level, you find a strange degree of coinciding incidents; people with medical or anatomical training of some sort becoming violent or at least mentally ill. You can find a half dozen cases occurring today, probably more considering they're probably covering others up and just not reporting some. You don't particularly like the trend.

Note to self: never go there.
What's the world coming to if I have to say that about hospitals. Hmm. Who was that doctor, though?

Putter over to computer again and try to find out who the homocidal doctor was and what he looked like.

You search as best you can, but it seems they're keeping the information under wraps for now. You can't find any hard facts about the case: No numbers of people killed, nor how, when it happened, the name of the man who did it, let alone his face. The hospital must be trying to suppress public outcry, or the police are trying to stop a family member or radical idealist from killing the poor bastard. Either way, you don't like it. This much secrecy reeks of something greater, something far worse.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2013, 03:26:23 pm »

((No time + Forum errors = unresponsive player :/ ))

You ask her for a phone, but she tells you that the police have already been called, along with more help. Orderlies- big, heavy set guys that look like they're moonlighting as body builders- dressed in white uniforms arrive minutes later. One of them walks up beside you and places a hand on your shoulder: he doesn't restrain you, but he makes it pretty obvious that he's ready to do so should you start acting..well, like a mental patient. The other orderlies walk over to the door and bunch up around it, or talk to Christine, who seems to be giving them a rather shaky interpretation of what just happened.
Despite stacking up on the door like a swat team full of bouncers, the orderlies don't actually move in yet. They seem to be waiting for something, probably the police. You begin to realize that, if you continue as you are, you're probably gonna end up stuck in this asylum for at least several more days while they interview you and work the case. Which, if you want to get out of here, isn't exactly a good thing.

((Heh, a pretty obvious message from the GM to 'get your ass outta here!'. Then again, do I even want to get out of here? Cause even if I somehow manage to do so with my stuff with me, I've got literally no money, so then I'll probably just starve to death or something. While, if I stay here, I have a roof over my head and food on my plate at least. And hey, if things start to really go south downtown, the police will have more on their hands than to investigate yet another crazy doc, so I can still make my grand escape then.))

'Oh, thank god you guys are here. I'm telling ya, whatever they may say about us, that doctor in there is the real nutcase here if y'ask me.
But errm, aren't you guys gonna stop him? Before he hurts the other patients?'

Then, Rico looked at the man holding him.

'Hey, uh, would you mind showing me to a bathroom? I, uh, need to take a leak. And standing here in the middle of the hallway for an hour with a full bladder isn't exactly a agreeable situation, eh? Oh, and what's your name by the way?'

Go to bathroom if allowed, watch surroundings closely while on the way: look for exits, potential weapons, signs detailing what is where in here.

If not, wait for police to show up.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:33:03 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2013, 05:06:39 pm »

You ask her for a phone, but she tells you that the police have already been called, along with more help. Orderlies- big, heavy set guys that look like they're moonlighting as body builders- dressed in white uniforms arrive minutes later. One of them walks up beside you and places a hand on your shoulder: he doesn't restrain you, but he makes it pretty obvious that he's ready to do so should you start acting..well, like a mental patient. The other orderlies walk over to the door and bunch up around it, or talk to Christine, who seems to be giving them a rather shaky interpretation of what just happened.
Despite stacking up on the door like a swat team full of bouncers, the orderlies don't actually move in yet. They seem to be waiting for something, probably the police. You begin to realize that, if you continue as you are, you're probably gonna end up stuck in this asylum for at least several more days while they interview you and work the case. Which, if you want to get out of here, isn't exactly a good thing.

((Heh, a pretty obvious message from the GM to 'get your ass outta here!'. Then again, do I even want to get out of here? Cause even if I somehow manage to do so with my stuff with me, I've got literally no money, so then I'll probably just starve to death or something. While, if I stay here, I have a roof over my head and food on my plate at least. And hey, if things start to really go south downtown, the police will have more on their hands than to investigate yet another crazy doc, so I can still make my grand escape then.))

'Oh, thank god you guys are here. I'm telling ya, whatever they may say about us, that doctor in there is the real nutcase here if y'ask me.

'Hey, uh, would you mind showing me to a bathroom? I, uh, need to take a leak. And standing here in the middle of the hallway for an hour with a full bladder isn't exactly a agreeable situation, eh? Oh, and what's your name by the way?'

Go to bathroom if allowed, watch surroundings closely while on the way: look for exits, potential weapons, signs detailing what is where in here.

Not so much telling you to get out, as warning you of a fact. If you want to try and turn the asylum into your private sanctuary, go for it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2013, 07:28:42 pm »

Thank you.

Sam hangs up on the line to Security, then dials Reception.

Linda, this is Dr. Richard. Put all of my appointments on hold, please. Security and the police are going to be coming through and we shouldn't be with patients while they are.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2013, 02:06:01 pm »

Brian looked at the PC screen.  Odd... doctors going crazy?  He wondered if that was a sign of the apocalypse.  Lunch first, then more research.

Make a quick lunch.  Eat it while researching doctors going crazy and links to apocalypses.  Failing that, just look for apocalypse warnings in forum-type posts, ignoring the politically motivated ones.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 02:08:15 am »

... It's not my problem. Not my problem. I should walk away.
Gods damnit.

Glance around for a directory, see what/who is on the second floor. Then casually head up there.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 02:19:09 am »

This smells fishy.
Too fishy. Like rotten fish and shit.
It's bad, is what I'm saying.

Retrieve house phone and call up one of my buddies from the force. Doesn't really matter which one. Inquire about the incident.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »

The Orderly doesn't even look down at you, but he does tighten his grip on your shoulder.

"Guessing thats a no, huh?"

He shakes his head.

"Alright then."

For several minutes you all stand in awkward silence as the pounding on the door continues. Eventually, the police arrive, a good half dozen of them and pile up on the door with the orderlies. And orderly in the nurses station signals to them and the door's locks click open. The entire group of men, police first, orderlies after, swarm into the room. You can't see anything from your position, but there's a lot of yelling for about 30 seconds and then quiet. A few nervous moments pass before the police come out, dragging the seemingly unconscious body of the doctor, who is decked out in wrist and ankle cuffs. The Orderlies follow behind them, and the strange procession walks out toward the entrance to the building, trailing blood behind them.

A man, very sleepy but still important looking jogs in as they leave and starts talking to the nurse. After a few minutes of conversation you can't make out, the Nurse leaves the important looking man and walks over to you.

"We can't disturb the scene as it is, so we're going to have to put you someplace else until they can come interview you and clean up the crime scene."

Why do you have the uncanny feeling you're about to be stored in a closet?

Thank you.

Sam hangs up on the line to Security, then dials Reception.

Linda, this is Dr. Richard. Put all of my appointments on hold, please. Security and the police are going to be coming through and we shouldn't be with patients while they are.

You call Linda and get her to put your appointments on hold. She seems a bit worried about the whole Police and Security thing, but she says she'll do what you asked. You thank her, hang up the phone, and sit down on the examination table. The Doctor in the room next door is hitting something now; it sounds like he might be punching the wall. The banging continues for a while and then subsides. Everything is silent for a good minute or two; until the IV stand gets stabbed through the wall.

You jump back, away from the wall as the chrome plated iv stand stabs through several more times, spearing randomly into the room and waving around. On the fifth thrust or so it tears away a chunk of the wall about the size of a manhole and the doctor starts climbing through.

Brian looked at the PC screen.  Odd... doctors going crazy?  He wondered if that was a sign of the apocalypse.  Lunch first, then more research.

Make a quick lunch.  Eat it while researching doctors going crazy and links to apocalypses.  Failing that, just look for apocalypse warnings in forum-type posts, ignoring the politically motivated ones.

You make a lunch of purified water and a tin of beans. You're staring to feel like a real survivalist. You keep searching, but nothing substantial is coming up. More stories, but they're much the same and everything is lacking details. Apparently no one has caught on to the fact that it's happening everywhere yet. You scratch your chin and try searching about apocalypse warnings in general. A lot of it is of course meaningless crap about the book of revelations and obama being the anti-christ or the coming of the reptilian overlords, or how GE Corn is actually filled with brainwashing toxins, but you do find something. It's odd...it's on the website for medical equipment, amongst forum posts like "Problems with AcuTemp AX27L Mobile Temperature Management Unit" and "UltraClean Tissue DNA Kit Spin Filters damaged".

Subject: It was in us all along

Body: Can't you all see it? It was always there, in the shape of the vessels and the neurons, along the meninges and marrow.  It's been there all along but I never saw it till now. The message in the flesh. How could we have missed it? How could something this bright have been overlooked? It burns my eyes like the sun and I see it in everything now. I've got to show them.

... It's not my problem. Not my problem. I should walk away.
Gods damnit.

Glance around for a directory, see what/who is on the second floor. Then casually head up there.

You walk over to a map of the hospital near the elevators and look at the second floor. There's a lot of things up there; it seems to handle most of the hospitals lab space and testing facilities, it's all MRI's and CAT labs and Xrays and large sections just marked as "Lab". You have no idea where in this place they were going. You suppose you could just go up and look but...what would you even do once you got there? Would you be able to find it? And if you did, then what?

This smells fishy.
Too fishy. Like rotten fish and shit.
It's bad, is what I'm saying.

Retrieve house phone and call up one of my buddies from the force. Doesn't really matter which one. Inquire about the incident.

You get up from the computer and grab your cellphone, scrolling through the numbers until you find one of a guy you used to work with. You dial it. It rings a few times before going to voicemail. Hmm. You dial another, same deal. You dial a third. This time it rings several times but eventually connects.

Your friend on the other end seems beleaguered. He says that half the force is out, all handling calls from the three hospitals in the city and about a dozen urgent care clinics and private doctor's offices.

"It's like everyone with freaking medical training chose today to go off their meds. You better stay away from the hospitals, man, things keep getting worse."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 06:46:20 pm »

A man, very sleepy but still important looking jogs in as they leave and starts talking to the nurse. After a few minutes of conversation you can't make out, the Nurse leaves the important looking man and walks over to you.

"We can't disturb the scene as it is, so we're going to have to put you someplace else until they can come interview you and clean up the crime scene."

Why do you have the uncanny feeling you're about to be stored in a closet?

"Well, in that case, mind letting me wait in the cafeteria or something? Or the visitors lounge? Anywhere that isn't some damp hallway really, I'm still in my pajamas for Christ sake."

Be escorted to wherever. Again check surroundings for possible weapons, exits, etc.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 07:11:02 pm »

((Wait - he was in the room next to mine? Everything else made me think he was a few doors down, at least.

Also, I'm seriously wishing that concealed-carry permits were valid in hospitals here - if they were, I would probably have my revolver. Action later while I think about what I could do.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »

Odd.  What could this be?

Dig deeper.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 03:46:23 am »

(( Watch me try and justify leaving myself in the middle of this mess. :P ))

I could try and wander through the labs... they might know something, but I won't have a reason to be there...
The morgue I can reason my way into, but there's nothing there but whatever madness is possessing this place...
I should leave. Levwits is the start, not the end. Whatever he's done... This place is coming apart at the seams. I can feel it... but the seams are where the answers lie... if answers there are to find.
I need to try and help. Somehow... Maybe go where security isn't, see what I can do... What I can see.

Take a look at the map again, look for Surgery, ER, and if there's a pharmacy. Also study the map for exit paths, then start walking towards Surgery.

(( I suddenly feel like me and Pyro got the short end of the random number stick here, as we were both most compelled to go to the place that is falling to insanity *first* XD
Though I suppose this depends on what you decide as bad. It certainly got us into the action quicker. And RC definitely managed to find an even shorter end, considering he couldn't even leave before madness descended on him :P

Oh, and I love the 'foreshadowing' you're dropping into Xan and Toaster's posts that indicates that we are going to be well and truly fucked over here in a few hours. Shame I can't act on that :P ))
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:48:32 am by Kriellya »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 09:38:51 am »

Xan, Pyro, you guys gonna post or should I just do the turn? Because xan is pretty safe at the moment but Pyro is very much not.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37