Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48655 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Philosophical Rage Edition.
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 01:44:21 pm »

What's the closest hospital that's been suspected?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 02:30:44 pm »

"This is what I was talking about. The doctor has clearly suffered some sort of psychotic break. I know you're trained not to listen to any sort of outrageous claims by patients, but you can clearly see I was telling the truth. Now, if I were you, I'd call for more nurses and the police as well."
(Woo successful speech rolls!)

"Yes, thank you. What does it take for a mental patient to be heard around here?
Hey, uhm, he can't open that door from the inside, can he?
Oh, and what's your name, anyways?"

Look around for anything I could use to defend myself. Even a chair or something will do.
if he tries to open door, barricade it or just try to keep it shut.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 04:47:04 am »

Yeah, he was a friend of mine here, we used to get a few drinks after work now and again. Had a lot of patients in long term care, as I recall... Was hoping to chat with him while I was here, reconnect and all that. Why, did something happen to him?

Go go bluff!

... try and mentally kick the old, booze-ridden sections of brain into functioning again. Be disappointed but unsurprised when this doesn't work.

(( Sorry, I felt like the action had to be longer. The sleep-deprived section of my brain thought it was a good idea. :P ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:55 am »

Now where are toaster and Pyro...With only 5 players I'd like to wait till everyone posts but we seem to have consistent absences, but by inconsistent persons. Hmm.

I should just let the people watching the thread post for them if they're gone for more then a day. that would certainly liven things up.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:00 am »

((Last night was short on braining, so I actually held off since I was ahead of everyone.  Probably would have helped if I had said that!))

Brian drove back to his house, his latest purchase with him.  Well, he had food, water, and protection... now what?  Did he really want to hunker down in his house for three weeks and just wait for everything to end?  What was even the point of trying to survive?  Why not go out in a blaze of glory, with wine, women, and song?

Brian sighed.  His nerves were getting to him again... the bottle of pills came to his mind.  Probably wouldn't be a bad idea.  He'd need a steady hand loading that thing, anyway.

Go home.  Pop a pill.  Load the magazines.

((I'm assuming there have been background rolls that we just haven't seen, that you're hiding for interest.  Given the tone of the game, it may be interesting to hide all the rolls, even the big combat ones one would normally expect to be obvious.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 10:41:48 am »

Yeah, if you guys don't want to or can't post a full turn or anything, just post a "I pass this turn" or something so I know and can do the posts for everyone else. I'll probably advance you like 20 minutes too, to keep things moving.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:07 pm »

What's the closest hospital that's been suspected?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The nearest one is pretty much a split between Redfalls General and Seaview, the hospital down in the bad part of town near the docks. They're about the same distance away, but you'd probably be better off at Redfalls general.

You're feeling kinda thirsty.

"This is what I was talking about. The doctor has clearly suffered some sort of psychotic break. I know you're trained not to listen to any sort of outrageous claims by patients, but you can clearly see I was telling the truth. Now, if I were you, I'd call for more nurses and the police as well."
(Woo successful speech rolls!)

"Yes, thank you. What does it take for a mental patient to be heard around here?
Hey, uhm, he can't open that door from the inside, can he?
Oh, and what's your name, anyways?"

Look around for anything I could use to defend myself. Even a chair or something will do.
if he tries to open door, barricade it or just try to keep it shut.

(Actually that was a 10 on a will roll. 10's are successes so great that they ripple out around you and make everything easier. 1's are failures that fail so badly they not only hurt that action but make things harder in general. Etc. )

"It's one way, someone has to buzz you out from this side." The nurse says, still a bit dazed. "Christine, my name's Christine."

You watch as he bashes away at the window. Luckily the glass is reenforced and quite thick, clearly made to survive things like this. It doesn't even crack, though the body's head does, obscuring the view through the window with blood. The sound of a partially caved in skull bouncing against glass is distressing to say the least.  Still, you look around for something to defend yourself with. The immediate area around you is a bare white hallway leading up to a large, circular nurse's station with similarly reenforced glass all the way around it, like some sort of enormous, battle ready kiosk. There's nothing immediately around you that you can use, but the nurses station might have something, though you're doubtful if Christine is just gonna let you in there, crazy doc or not.

Yeah, he was a friend of mine here, we used to get a few drinks after work now and again. Had a lot of patients in long term care, as I recall... Was hoping to chat with him while I was here, reconnect and all that. Why, did something happen to him?

Go go bluff!

... try and mentally kick the old, booze-ridden sections of brain into functioning again. Be disappointed but unsurprised when this doesn't work.

(( Sorry, I felt like the action had to be longer. The sleep-deprived section of my brain thought it was a good idea. :P ))

The secretary, and a few others who have gathered around after hearing the commotion, believes you completely.

"We're not supposed to talk about this until the Hospital goes public," the secretary says, looking around conspiratorially, "But if you knew him maybe you can help us. Did he ever have any mental illness or dementia? Or was there any in his family you know about?"

((Last night was short on braining, so I actually held off since I was ahead of everyone.  Probably would have helped if I had said that!))

Brian drove back to his house, his latest purchase with him.  Well, he had food, water, and protection... now what?  Did he really want to hunker down in his house for three weeks and just wait for everything to end?  What was even the point of trying to survive?  Why not go out in a blaze of glory, with wine, women, and song?

Brian sighed.  His nerves were getting to him again... the bottle of pills came to his mind.  Probably wouldn't be a bad idea.  He'd need a steady hand loading that thing, anyway.

Go home.  Pop a pill.  Load the magazines.

((I'm assuming there have been background rolls that we just haven't seen, that you're hiding for interest.  Given the tone of the game, it may be interesting to hide all the rolls, even the big combat ones one would normally expect to be obvious.))
(Actually, That was the plan, remember? I'll be showing no rolls in this entire game. Everything will be happening in the background. Though I will tell you that, for the most part, rolls will only happen for conflict or when things are at stake. I'm going to assume that everyone can do reasonable things like internet searches or drive a car normally during mundane conditions.)

You drive home, thoughts of hedonistic and fatalistic revelry flooding your head. If this is truly the end, then you'll be free to do anything you want in these last days. A world without laws, in which the only consequences are those you can't hold off with your own  might. Something buried deep in the malaise of suburban drudgery trembles with brutal excitement.

You get home, park the car in the garage and go sit at the kitchen table.  You turn on the light above the table and sit down, carefully setting the box of bullets to your left and the magazines to your right. You dig the bottle of pills from your pocket and take one before you start. It takes a few minutes to kick in, but you start feeling very relaxed.

It takes you a while to get the hang of loading the magazines, and you spray bullets all over the ground a few times as the spring vomits them all back out of the magazine, but you eventually get the hang of it. You load all three magazines and and carefully examine them. You can feel the fatal weight in them now; the tiny bits of metal that can end lives so casually. You're not sure how to feel about that sort of power sitting in your hand.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 01:56:45 pm »

"Ok then. Now, Christine, I'm gonna go and try to find a phone to call the cops. We need to get them here before that man hurts anyone else. You've called for the other staff already, right? Where's the nearest phone I can use? "

Go find phone if she directs me to one, call cops. If not, wait for help to arrive.

((At this rate you guys will have to wait for me for a while. This probably won't be resolved for a few more turns. sorry :/  ))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2013, 05:45:18 pm »

((Sorry for not posting sooner, but school does take up a large amount of my time. Otherwise, I would've posted earlier today.))

Huh.

Sam goes over to the door and looks into the room.

Everything okay in here?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »

((At this rate you guys will have to wait for me for a while. This probably won't be resolved for a few more turns. sorry :/  ))

(( you're only an hour and a half behind me and Pyro, it's the other two that are speeding ahead :P ))

Thomas looks shocked for a moment.
No, he was one of the most stable people I knew. Patient as a saint as well, but then you sort of have to be to work with Snoozer patients... As for his family, I can't say I ever met any of them, but he talked of them often and I don't recall any family history. He okay?

Continue chatting. See if I can at least remember Levwits' first name.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2013, 12:40:30 am »

Oh yeah.
Drinks. And stuff. Yeah.

Go open a bottle of water and grab a granola bar while I'm at it. Assuming I have a TV, flip it on and switch to the local news channels.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2013, 10:56:59 am »

((Sorry for lateness- passed out from exhaustion last night and slept forever.

Indeed the "no rolls" makes this more of a storytelling experience.))

Brian looked at his weapon.  Would he need it?  Could he pull the trigger if it came to it?

The thought unnerved him.  Was anything strange happening yet?  It was still possible... that this was all a dream.  Maybe the news?

Watch the news.  Make self lunch when hungry.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2013, 08:21:47 pm »

"Ok then. Now, Christine, I'm gonna go and try to find a phone to call the cops. We need to get them here before that man hurts anyone else. You've called for the other staff already, right? Where's the nearest phone I can use? "

Go find phone if she directs me to one, call cops. If not, wait for help to arrive.

You ask her for a phone, but she tells you that the police have already been called, along with more help. Orderlies- big, heavy set guys that look like they're moonlighting as body builders- dressed in white uniforms arrive minutes later. One of them walks up beside you and places a hand on your shoulder: he doesn't restrain you, but he makes it pretty obvious that he's ready to do so should you start acting..well, like a mental patient. The other orderlies walk over to the door and bunch up around it, or talk to Christine, who seems to be giving them a rather shaky interpretation of what just happened.

Despite stacking up on the door like a swat team full of bouncers, the orderlies don't actually move in yet. They seem to be waiting for something, probably the police. You begin to realize that, if you continue as you are, you're probably gonna end up stuck in this asylum for at least several more days while they interview you and work the case. Which, if you want to get out of here, isn't exactly a good thing.

((Sorry for not posting sooner, but school does take up a large amount of my time. Otherwise, I would've posted earlier today.))

Huh.

Sam goes over to the door and looks into the room.

Everything okay in here?

You walk slowly over to the door and open it just a bit more, peeking in. The room is a mess, anything that isn't securely bolted down or built into a wall has been thrown to the floor or scattered about. Prepackaged empty syringes, tongue depressors, paper towels, computer monitor, bottles of disinfectant, a stool, draws ripped from the desk built into the wall, all of it hurled randomly about the room and all over the floor. In the corner of the room opposite the door stands a doctor. He has his back to you, facing the corner, swaying slightly, side to side.

(( you're only an hour and a half behind me and Pyro, it's the other two that are speeding ahead :P ))

Thomas looks shocked for a moment.
No, he was one of the most stable people I knew. Patient as a saint as well, but then you sort of have to be to work with Snoozer patients... As for his family, I can't say I ever met any of them, but he talked of them often and I don't recall any family history. He okay?

Continue chatting. See if I can at least remember Levwits' first name.

"I'm not at liberty to reveal any specific information about Dr. Livwit's current situation." The Secretary says, looking disappointed somehow, "All I can tell you is that he isn't here and that you shouldn't try to contact him at this hospital again."

The people behind the secretary, the ones who came to eavesdrop on the conversation, shuffle back into the low walled cubical farm behind the secretary, clearly dejected in some way.

Oh yeah.
Drinks. And stuff. Yeah.

Go open a bottle of water and grab a granola bar while I'm at it. Assuming I have a TV, flip it on and switch to the local news channels.

You grab a bottle of water and a granola bar and go sit on the couch, the vinyl cushions squeaking as you plop down. You flip on the TV and flick down to the lower channels until you find a news station. You chew your way through a chocolate and marshmallow granola bar and chug the water while watching. The first story is about a ship called the "Roanoke" that seems to have vanished off the coast. You can't help but feel that naming it that was asking for trouble. The sports report talks about the local college football team losing their match, Weather about a cold front coming in from the North, and snow in the mountains nearby.  Finally, near the end of the broadcast, the news anchor, a generically handsome brown haired man in his 30's, stares very seriously into the camera and says that Redfalls General Hospital is making an announcement at a press conference. They cut to a young, female reporter with hair like a red Brillo pad, who quickly redirects the camera to a stern looking man in a suit standing amidst a fairy's circle of microphone mushroom caps. He seems to be in front of the hospital, but the walls behind him are out of focus. Seems like they caught him part way through his speech.

"...That last night, one of our doctors intentionally took several comatose patients off of life support without the consent of their families or care givers. He has since been handed over to the police who are investigating the matter as we speak and will be pursuing criminal charges if and when it comes to that. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those effected by this man's acts..." The man steps away, ignoring a flurry of questions and disappearing into a crowd of men in suits who hold back the journalists. The news ends soon after, giving way to some sort of terrible, generic sitcom.

((Sorry for lateness- passed out from exhaustion last night and slept forever.

Indeed the "no rolls" makes this more of a storytelling experience.))

Brian looked at his weapon.  Would he need it?  Could he pull the trigger if it came to it?

The thought unnerved him.  Was anything strange happening yet?  It was still possible... that this was all a dream.  Maybe the news?

Watch the news.  Make self lunch when hungry.
You sit down and flick through the channels. It seems you just missed the 10:30 local news. Damn it. Hmm. There won't be any more news till 5 o'clock, if you remember right, at least nothing local. You lean back in your chair and muse quietly about other options. Could check their website, might have a stream of it. Or their forums might have people talking about anything interesting.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2013, 11:10:15 pm »

Samuel quickly hurried back into his office and locked the door, getting on the phone to hospital security.

Security, this is Dr. Richard in GP, there's another doctor that would appear to have had some kind of breakdown. He's just standing in office (insert office number here), which has been mostly torn apart, and he's unresponsive. Normally I wouldn't call for something like this, but with what's been going on, I feel it prudent that I let you deal with it. It doesn't appear that anyone's been harmed yet, but let's not have another Livwit.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2013, 10:22:26 pm »

That's... unfortunate. Must be serious. And judging from how disappointed your people look that he didn't have any history, whatever has happened must have been completely unexplained as well. That's concerning. Almost terrifying, given that we're in a hospital, surrounded by medical professionals who should know... If you think I can help at all, do not hesitate to contact me. But you probably have work to do cleaning up after... whatever, so I'll leave you to it. Luck to us all.

Parting words. If no particular response, meander my way out of the hospital, watching carefully for more oddities on my way out.

Try and remember if I have a cell phone in the van, and whether or not it is active.
(that is, active service plan)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37