Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48813 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational then reality.
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2014, 09:02:01 pm »

It wouldn't be the same without you.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2014, 12:00:51 am »

Piecewise is in an extremely tired and bad mood right now.

POST THIS EVENING

PYRO!
XAN!

Because it's tradition now.

((... Look at the post directly above you.))
It's a joke Pyro. A bad joke.

...know what? Fuck that, I want to do something good before I die.

Head back in thar and convince the chief to let me help. Maybe I can talk to one of the crazy doctors to see what happened?
Yeah, thats a winning roll. Help how, brown cow. Just talk to a crazy doctor? Yeah, we can work that.

He gives you some keys to a cell down in holding where they're keeping one of the doctors. He tells you that the guy is pretty much completely incoherent, switching between violent outbursts and catatonia. You're free to head down into the holding cells, but don't open his cell.

(( Right then.

So, PW, if you don't mind, I'm going to 'desync' a bit, in order to help you speed things up :P
Oh, wait, we're not that far off. Conceivably, I could be said to have received Pyro's message during this call. Excellent! This provides me with excellent justification for the sort of time bending I'm about to do.))

... That sounds... bad. Almost worse than what I suspected, seeing the world news today. You know of no one who hasn't? None of your people with medical training are still sane?
Thomas pauses for a moment to look when his phone pings about a message. Another unknown number, perhaps the doctor I met earlier? Hm... I'll call him after this. He'll need to know.
Alright, say I agree to come in. Assuming I haven't lost it by the time I arrive... can you use me? I'm... I'm not sure I can convince you of this, but I don't think I'll go like the others. I can get myself somewhere isolated on my own, but I want to help with this if I can. Provide medical aid to your people, and civilians you're protecting. Is there any way you can let me do that, as long as I'm still sane? Take whatever precautions you'd like, but I'd like to help.

While he waits for a response, he checks the message he just received and writes down the number it came from, then sends a response.

Quote from: To Pyro
It seems to get worse. If you've checked the papers, this isn't localized. It's happening everywhere.

I'm on the phone with the police now. They say everyone with medical training has lost it, and are expecting any medical professional that hasn't to follow suit. They're asking me to come in immediately, so they can detain me for the inevitable.

I'm planning to go in. To try and help them, if they'll let me. If you don't hear from me again, that's where I'll be.

I met another Dreamer as well. His number is *RC's cell here*, if you'd like to meet him. I don't know his story yet, but he saw something happen.

Continue conversations

-------------------

(( Okay, now here's the time-bendy bit. This conversation can't resolve until PW posts, but 1) I don't expect it to resolve in a way that immediately restricts my communications and 2) I'm planning not to leave the library immediately anyway. So I'm going to assume that I receive RC's message while I'm still at the library. ))

Quote from: To RC
Good, I'll see you there. A Dreamer I met at the hospital contacted me a bit earlier, I gave him your cell. His is *insert Pyro's cell here*

I'll tell you what I just told him, though. I got in contact with the police. They say everyone with advanced medical training has lost it or is going to lose it.

As a warning to you, both me and the other Dreamer have medical training. Take that as you will.

They basically tell you to stay away. Apparently they've had more then enough casualties for the time being.

Kill time with watching television until it's time to leave for that burger place. Wait at entrance for other people.

((PW, I'll just repeat this action until we are synced up again and ready for dinner.))
((If my power company is the devil, then I spoke of them: Back, far earlier than expected.))

Richard texts this new number.

You've had contact with a man claiming the world is coming to an end?

IF you guys are gonna meet up for food or whatever, then just assume you can. Lets not dick around with time more then we have to.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:40 am »

Is there a slot or something through which I can speak to him without going into the cell? If so, inquire about his memories of the past week.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2014, 10:24:15 am »

Enter food place once other people are here. Take seat away from other clients, and look at menu.

If dinner hasn't started this turn, stasis.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2014, 12:54:41 pm »

Is there a slot or something through which I can speak to him without going into the cell? If so, inquire about his memories of the past week.
You take the key you're given and use it to get through the heavy barred door separating the holding area from the rest of the building.  Beyond that gate is a single hall lined with cells on either side. Normally they'd be sparsely filled with drunks, a gaggle of prostitutes waiting to be told to stop it before being released and occasionally an actual criminal. This time, the cells are packed with doctors.  There's a smell of blood, human waste, and sweat hanging thick in the air and exited gibbering echoes down the hall, the sounds from some sort of demon monkey house.  The doctors, most still in uniform, stare out from behind the bars; some watch you as you walk past, others huddle in the corner and whisper to themselves, one, naked and covered in blood, idly smashes the head of his dead cellmate against the concrete.

The cell you were told to look in is the last one on the right; one of the first doctors to have lost it. He's shirtless, his upper body covered in dried blood and cuts. He's staring at the wall, though he seems to be looking at something far beyond it, his eyes twitching and jerking about.

You ask him about the last week. He remains quiet. You ask him again.

"It was always there, you know. Only a matter of time."

Enter food place once other people are here. Take seat away from other clients, and look at menu.

If dinner hasn't started this turn, stasis.

Waiting for other players.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

Enter food place early. Take seat away from other clients, tell waiter I'm waiting for some people, and look at menu.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:30 pm »

Leave my cell number with the police in case they want to contact me, then hang up.

Receive RC's message, text Pyro about it, then go fill up the van's fuel tank before going to the food place. Order a large burger and some water before sitting down.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2014, 06:33:57 pm »

What was?
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 19, 2014, 02:05:08 pm »

Bump so we may hopefully get going again. Waiting for the usual suspects really.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:56 pm »

Samuel goes to the meeting place and finds the new one, sitting opposite him and ignoring the menu.

What do you know? Anything other than what the news is saying?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #310 on: February 19, 2014, 08:17:48 pm »

Enter food place early. Take seat away from other clients, tell waiter I'm waiting for some people, and look at menu.

The aforementioned burger place turns out to be just that; a carbon copy of any McDonalds or Burger King but rebranded under a more copyright friendly name of "Burger Palace". As such, waiters and menus are rather beyond the scale of the offered eating experience, so to speak.  You do, however, manage to claim yourself a booth in the corner by the window and side in across squeaky, brightly colored plastic upholstered benches. Outside, the sidewalks gleem dull orange under the street lights and the black canyon of the street is occasionally illuminated by a passing pair of headlights.

Leave my cell number with the police in case they want to contact me, then hang up.

Receive RC's message, text Pyro about it, then go fill up the van's fuel tank before going to the food place. Order a large burger and some water before sitting down.

For the sake of expediency I want you to imagine me waving my hand while going "Yeah yeah yeah, sure, ok, Yeah. Lets go with that"

You sit down across from the guy who called you, plastic tray with a double cheese burger and fries between you. It's been a long time since you had one of these; you dig into it hungrily while waiting for the guy to talk.

What was?

"It was in us all along. We just never saw it for some reason. hundreds of years of medical science and we never saw it. Until today. Today it aaaaaaall just clicked. Like a magic eye poster. We squinted just right, all at the same time.  And now, now we can't look away. Now it burns in our skull like a red hot ember."

He turns toward you, revealing a great wound in the other side of his face, muscle and blood all pulsing and oozing beneath the ruined skin of his face and jaw.

"We took an oath. That our patients need not suffer. That oath is being followed.  We will save you from having to look upon it. We will dull your eyes before it can burn them from your skull."

Samuel goes to the meeting place and finds the new one, sitting opposite him and ignoring the menu.

What do you know? Anything other than what the news is saying?

You squeeze in next to the man who isn't eating and doesn't look like a partially starved homeless man dressed in a suit thats a bit too big for him, like a skinny, wild eyed chimp in a tuxedo.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2014, 02:20:51 pm »

Go order something (burger and fries or something) and start eating.

Rico looks at the two people sitting in front of him.
"So, to get you people up to speed: I was attacked today while I was at... My doctor. And it seems this crap is happening all over, like some mass hysteria crap. Now, I don't be believin' in supernatural or preternatural or any of that hokey, but if multiple people have the same dream before all the doctors go topsy turvy in the head, yeah, that's beyond me. So I say we scramble, just get out and wait out the storm. I got my ride an' some supplies and stuff, some I'm ready to go.

So, how 'bout you guys? Whadda think we should do? "

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 22, 2014, 01:07:28 pm »

I cringe away from the rather disturbing sight reflexively. Then I begin talking, looking away from it.

Actually, I've read the Hippocratic Oath at one point. Figured I might as well. It says that you'll never bring your patients harm. Now, killing them is what I'd call harm. What is it that's so dire it caused you all to break your oaths?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:42:01 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 24, 2014, 06:24:44 am »

Tom munches on his sandwich for a bit before answering.

I... didn't see much. I'm sure the doctor here knows more about what happened. I came in to the hospital this morning to... renew an application. They were already on edge when I got there. Some physician had done something, Levitt's I think. I met up with the doctor, who looked slightly more terrified than the others, and then headed out of there. From what I can tell, it closed later that day, and by the news it isn't local. The police say that everyone with medical knowledge has lost it, and fully expect anyone who hasn't to join insanity. I'm not sure what's protecting me and him... maybe the dream, maybe nothing.

As for plans... I'm similarly inclined and prepared, but I'd like to try and stay in contact. Maybe hunt down some radios, in case the grid goes down. Way I figure it is, initially, we'll be better off spreading out resources. Avoid losing all of us just because someone wanted our food. But after a few days... I don't think any one of us alone will be able to move and survive.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.
« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »

"Hmm. Way things seem now, I reckon I'll be skipping town next thing tomorrow. Gonna leave early to. You're all welcome to join me. Oh, and we could decide on a radio channel to use, I've got a walkie in the truck."

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37