Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 48758 times)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational then reality.
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2013, 05:34:40 pm »

(( Yeah, I've got roughly the same plan. We'll see how much PW lets us get away with that, though. :P ))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »

((Post'll be later tonight. If you want to post today just skip me.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2013, 07:50:54 pm »

(( Yeah, I've got roughly the same plan. We'll see how much PW lets us get away with that, though. :P ))
I've got no problems with you trying. Beg, borrow, steal, lie, cheat and rob. Whatever it takes to get by.

((Post'll be later tonight. If you want to post today just skip me.))
I'll wait, this thing updates more infrequently so I don't mind waiting a bit for people. Though I hope we can get beyond the first day sometime soon. Because it gets more interesting as it goes on.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »

I've got no problems with you trying. Beg, borrow, steal, lie, cheat and rob. Whatever it takes to get by.

(( Well, by 'you', I mean 'the dice and our backgrounds'. I get the feeling people will not be precisely willing to loan the two of us money XD ))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2013, 03:05:57 am »

((Guh. Normally I'd put in RP of some sort but I've been hit - as in the last minute or two - with a sudden case of the lethargic sick. Belhehlel. Action here.))

Well fuck you Heath Ledger. You just had to die before your words fucked us over.

Call police buddies. Try to get in contact with the chief and convince him to take more precautions and increase the security of the city because this shit's only going to escalate.
Sig! Onol

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2013, 11:54:52 am »

It figures they've got everything under wraps. Hospital PR vs. the news? No contest. Looking online will probably turn up more of the same, but it's worth a shot...

Samuel goes to his desk and starts looking up any relevant information about what is going on online. He starts with news sources, then move on to general searches if they come up without much more than the televised news (which he keeps on and listens to as he works).

((Kri, Sam might consider contacting you soon.))
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:56:48 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2013, 02:26:14 pm »

(( Awesome. I will prepare more excessively mysterious things to say. Or maybe something useful, you never know :P ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2013, 03:57:15 pm »

Brian stared into the bottle.  Hmmph.  What was the dosage again, even?  His brain felt foggy and useless.  Maybe he could get a refill now- if things started getting worse, it was probably his last chance.

Put pill back.  Check recommended dosage.  Call drug store and see if I can get a refill.
The dosage on the bottle is "One by mouth as needed." Hmm. You screw the cap back on and give a call to the pharmacy where you usually refill it. Then you wait a good 20 minutes through infuriating Muzak until someone finally answers. You ask them about refilling your prescription and they take some information from you before returning you to elevator music hell for a while.

When they eventually do get back to you it's to say that the prescription needs to be renewed with your doctor before it can be refilled.

You thank them as passive aggressively as possible and hang up.

That... doesn't seem appropriate. No matter, research time.

Head on in, check my wallet for a library card. Stop by a water fountain on my way in, then head to an open computer.
If a card is needed for the computers and I do not have one, acquire the necessary paperwork and determine the cost of obtaining one.

Search the internet for other incidents of crazy doctors, focusing on local reports.

Do another search for excessively cheap rental/apartment listings.

You head into the library, taking a drink from the water fountain on the way in. It tastes tinny and old but at least it's clean.

You have a library card - libraries are probably the best place in the world for homeless people, free heat, books, computers, soft chairs, it's great- so you head over to the computers and start doing searches.  You start with the whole "Crazy doctor" thing and find information about the press conference held at Redfalls general, along with a few other vague reports from other places in the US. It seems as though whatever is happening, which isn't terribly obvious, isn't confined to this area.  Your search for cheap living areas comes up mostly with extremely shady housing in the inner city, all with very fancy sounding names like Whitewall Estates and Seaside heights. They go as low as 50 bucks for a month, for what amounts to an unfurnished concrete box with carpet and basic appliances.

Dark god's ain't gonna summon themselves.
((Something we should all be thankfull for really. Imagine if they did, that'd be awful.
Like, you try to get a drink, open a soda can, only for a tentacle horror to claw its way out of your can and assault your face. And then you're still thirsty!))

"Hmm, I'll need some money somehow if I wanna make it through the week."
Try to think if there's any way I could lend money from a bank somewhere. Is there a bank in town that gives out 'small' loans (a few grand) without too many questions asked? Ask around if I have no idea.

While thinking on this, see if I can scrounge a few bottles, fill them up with tap water.

Hmm. Well the simplest ones would be pawn shops or cash advance places. Of course you don't have a whole lot you could pawn, save for the car and Cash advance places are limited on how much you could take out. Of course you could hit a few of them...you have everything you need for it. And they're definitely gonna be more likely to give you money then a bank.

You can't manage to find any bottles, at least none that you want. The closest you find is a pepsi bottle filled with urine thats sitting in one corner of the room. Yeah...no.

((Guh. Normally I'd put in RP of some sort but I've been hit - as in the last minute or two - with a sudden case of the lethargic sick. Belhehlel. Action here.))

Well fuck you Heath Ledger. You just had to die before your words fucked us over.

Call police buddies. Try to get in contact with the chief and convince him to take more precautions and increase the security of the city because this shit's only going to escalate.

You call up one of your friends and through him get the number for your old police chief. After a good 20 minutes you manage to convince him to give you the number of someone higher up and it goes on from there until you're talking to someone with a very important sounding title (Director or Colonel you believe it was). It takes a long time to convince him; and no small amount of careful lying and exaggeration, but you manage to convince him that whats going on here is going to escalate and it's going to happen everywhere. Finally, after a long negotiation he admits that you're probably right and, after a few seconds of silence, says he's going to so something about it. He'll have the national guard here by midnight at the latest, and things are going to get locked down. He thanks you for your help and hangs up.

It figures they've got everything under wraps. Hospital PR vs. the news? No contest. Looking online will probably turn up more of the same, but it's worth a shot...

Samuel goes to his desk and starts looking up any relevant information about what is going on online. He starts with news sources, then move on to general searches if they come up without much more than the televised news (which he keeps on and listens to as he works).

((Kri, Sam might consider contacting you soon.))

This particular action has been done o many times that I really would just be repeating if I gave you a big description here. Basically, you find out about that press conference and get hints that this isn't the only place it's happening.

Toaster: 8:35 pm
Pyro: 1:00pm
Kri: 10:30 am
Radio: 1:45 pm
Xan: 3:30 pm

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2013, 05:05:34 pm »

After visiting the bathroom at the shelter, making sure I look at least half-decent, walk to my car, taking a bit of a detour. Then search for the closest 'Cash advance place' I can find and enter the place. Try to apply for, well, cash.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:07:15 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2013, 01:35:07 am »

(( Oh national guard, you will be helpful I'm sure. :P
Still trying to decide if you've just doomed us or if you've just bought us a few more days of stability, Xan. Either way, should be interesting! ))

Okay... maybe not that cheap.

Search for more expensive housing (let's say 200-300$ a month), look up cash advance shops in the area, and attempt to use a reputable website to check my credit score. :P

Try to get a sense of on what scale the incidents are occurring based on where reports are currently coming from.

See if anyone in the local medical community is reaching out for information or assistance concerning the events at the hospital.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2013, 12:34:56 pm »

Renewed by a doctor.  Have they been checking the news?  Well... honestly, it was probably worth checking to see if Dr. Andrews, the doctor that had prescribed the pills, had been affected.  His office would be closed now, but it was worth checking to see if there was a weird message on his machine.

Call the office to see if Dr. Andrews had been affected- tell by checking for strange message on answering service.  Don't bother leaving message.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »

Posting this evening.

Again, XAN AND PYRO, DON'T MAKE ME FIND YOU!

by which I mean,if you have time, feel free to post. If not, I think I'll just advance you an hour.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2013, 01:24:29 am »

Ffffffaaaack
Christmas
It was the tree
Glurg
Motor over to the local police station - it's probably more secure than my place anyhow.
Sig! Onol

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2013, 04:43:27 am »

Perhaps the man from the lobby had a point...

Samuel goes and gets his revolver out of his gunsafe, and checks how much ammunition he has, and also checks how much cash he has on-hand and that his wallet has his bank card. He gets his shoulder holster (which he puts the revolver in) and his other coat (left his usual one in his office), then heads down to the local firing range and checks prices on ammunition and time in the range.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:46:26 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2013, 11:45:49 am »

After visiting the bathroom at the shelter, making sure I look at least half-decent, walk to my car, taking a bit of a detour. Then search for the closest 'Cash advance place' I can find and enter the place. Try to apply for, well, cash.

You make yourself look decent -not hard, it's not like the asylum didn't take care of you- and then drive maybe a block down before finding a cash advance play called Moneybush.

It's a little white building, remarkably clean and well maintained compared to the buildings around it, and populated with men and women in smart little uniforms and forced smiles, all bathed in too-bright florescent light. The people inside are all too happy to take your card, skim through your information, whisper something about 400% interest rates, and then offer you a paper to sign, with a blank box for how much money you want.

(( Oh national guard, you will be helpful I'm sure. :P
Still trying to decide if you've just doomed us or if you've just bought us a few more days of stability, Xan. Either way, should be interesting! ))

Okay... maybe not that cheap.

Search for more expensive housing (let's say 200-300$ a month), look up cash advance shops in the area, and attempt to use a reputable website to check my credit score. :P

Try to get a sense of on what scale the incidents are occurring based on where reports are currently coming from.

See if anyone in the local medical community is reaching out for information or assistance concerning the events at the hospital.

You find stuff in your price range. It's definitely nicer but still a pretty shit place to live. You don't particularly like how they keep assuring you that it's "Clean". Yes, they included the quotes.

As per your credit score,  it's alright.  The whole downward spiral didn't help things much, but you think you still have the rating to get a few thousand dollars out as a lone. You just won't be financing a mortgage or anything.

Scale of the incidents or of their spread? The incidents themselves seem to be fairly small most of the time; only in hospitals where doctors make up a large percent of the people around to they really get out of control. In terms of spread, hard to say.  it's not just around here though; and not just in America either. It's popping up all over the place. As per people reaching out for help, you don't really find any of that.

Renewed by a doctor.  Have they been checking the news?  Well... honestly, it was probably worth checking to see if Dr. Andrews, the doctor that had prescribed the pills, had been affected.  His office would be closed now, but it was worth checking to see if there was a weird message on his machine.

Call the office to see if Dr. Andrews had been affected- tell by checking for strange message on answering service.  Don't bother leaving message.
You grab your phone and give the doctor a call. It rings...rings some more...rings even more and then clicks on to an automated recording system. The sterile, robotic voice prompting you to leave your message is clearly something that just came with the system. It seems as though no one is around.

Ffffffaaaack
Christmas
It was the tree
Glurg
Motor over to the local police station - it's probably more secure than my place anyhow.
You drive over to the police station, a tiered, concrete building relatively near your home with an enormous blue "POLICE" emblazoned on it. The parking lot is basically deserted as you pull in; police cruisers, unmarked cars, even the detective's cars are almost completely gone. It's not a promising start.

You park your bike near the entrance and walk inside; the double solid oak doors are heavier then you remembered and you have to shoulder through them to get in. The lobby hasn't changed, all white walls and gray tile with fake wood paneling around a reception desk that's recessed into the wall and protected by bullet proof glass. The only thing you don't recognize is the receptionist; Jackson must have been promoted or left, because instead of a heavy set black man with an uncanny resemblance to Carl Winslow the desk is occupied by a pale, ginger haired, freckled woman who looks to be no more then 5 feet tall. You've never seen her around before; she must be from after your time.

This complicates things somewhat. It's gonna be hard to talk your way into the station without any proof you were a cop, especially when this new receptionist doesn't know you.

Perhaps the man from the lobby had a point...

Samuel goes and gets his revolver out of his gunsafe, and checks how much ammunition he has, and also checks how much cash he has on-hand and that his wallet has his bank card. He gets his shoulder holster (which he puts the revolver in) and his other coat (left his usual one in his office), then heads down to the local firing range and checks prices on ammunition and time in the range.
You open your gunsafe and and take out your revolver and the box of ammo you keep in there with it. The box, which you've opened before, ran your finger tips across the shells and then closed, contains 50 rounds. With your six shot revolver thats...8 full loads with 2 left over. You put the revolver in it's holster without loading it and swap your lab coat for your spare, older brown coat. It's a little less comfortable, but it will do. You don't have any cash on you, but you know you have 8000 in the bank, which should be more then enough for anything you need from the range. 

You drive out toward the nearest range you know of, which is attached to a gunshop up north in the commercial district of town. The Tight Cluster is an independent little shop owned by the type of guy who wears camo vests and hiking boots at all times. He's friendly enough, but always wears an air of superiority around anyone who didn't personally kill what they ate that morning. He informs you that time on the range is a flat rate of 20 bucks, and ammo prices vary depending on which kind you want.

Spoiler: Times (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37