Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Fortress Creative Blank.  (Read 2704 times)

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fortress Creative Blank.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 01:25:24 am »

How might I share this embark with those who want it?

There may be another way, but I believe the process is simply to zip up the data/save/regionX folder (X being the numerical number of your region save), and then uploading it to the DFFD site under Community Saves, http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=19. And then anyone can download and try the waterfall embark.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 04:02:51 am »

But won't it have all my crap in it?
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 04:46:13 am »

True, however, according to the article at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Importing_and_exporting_worlds someone could use the save to recreate the world (and locate the embark site).

In short, to allow others to recreate the same world the process would be as follows:
This process is more difficult during fortress or adventure play, because the world cannot be loaded in Legends mode. During fortress mode, load up your fortress and press Esc. Go to "export local image". Export local images of however much of you fortress you want (select only one level of it to save time exporting); the exported image is not important. Your Dwarf Fortress root folder should now contain several new files including a text file with phrase "world_gen_param" in its name. That is the one people want. As before, copy or email the file or its contents to whatever purpose was intended.

With just the world_gen_param file though, you'd have to tell them where to embark. With the whole save, they could abandon the fort and do that themselves. :-)

John D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 10:32:10 pm »

I love these kind of three-way river gorge maps. I like to construct a shaft down into the center of the gorge and then branch out into the surrounding cliffsides and construct my base there.
Also, I love to use DFHack in construction, via the digcircle filled # command. I make a main room for the center of the fort, then branch out on all sides with halls with lead to littler circles. Each sphere has a purpose; some are stockpiles, one is a dorm, another a hospital, one a dining room and the adjacent one a kitchen. It actually is pretty fun and it tends to leave you with quite some room left over. The only problem is, naturally, the inefficient use of the underground space, as you will have plenty of unrevealed tiles, and if a metal vein runs through a sphere, do you dare risk your OCD to mine it out?

I'd say no, but to each their own...

Lol, I go exactly the other way on my design. I use digv, then use mined out veins as my hallways wherever I can. I like the visual effect it creates. And it can make for interesting spots to fit in bedrooms or workshops.
Pages: 1 [2]