Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Fortress Creative Blank.  (Read 2697 times)

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Fortress Creative Blank.
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:03:18 am »

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have played DF, so I started up a new world and lo and behold I got a waterfall. Since most of, actually all, have been boring old dig into the mountainside fortresses, I wanted to do something different with this one. I have flux, and iron on the surface (hopefully I have fuel too), But I wanted to do something awesome with the waterfall, but I can't come up with anything. Since most of you are awesome players, can anyone come up with something cool? Thanks.

Here are 10 pics of every surface z-level to give you the map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't want to go any further until I come up with a decent plan, or someone does for me.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fortress Creative Blank.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 10:37:57 am »

Find a way to make the water bloody, then proceed to make a giant statute to Armok so he can bathe in the blood of your enemies. Bonus points if he drinks and then urinates from the waterfall.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:27:20 pm »

Inresting proposal... but probably out of my skill range, and I'm more looking for a way to incorporate the actually fortress into the waterfall, whether it be a defensive system or otherwise... >:D

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:56:05 pm »

Build your main up/down stairway near the waterfall, so passing dwarfs will enjoy the view (and the mist). Also pressurised water can be easily weaponized, so build main enterance nearby.

Bonus points for providing each bedroom with a waterfall. It will kill your fps, so make it stoppable.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »

1. Remove ramps and build walls to make the north-central area into a private tree harvesting area and surface farm patch. To get trees to grow, don't mine soil on the one z-level below.

2. Carve fortifications into the rock behind the waterfall. Build a meeting hall or statue garden there. The mist that enters the room will increase the happiness of your dwarves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »

To get trees to grow, don't mine soil on the one z-level below.
Trees no longer grow if you dug the soil one z level under the surface?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 01:13:16 pm »

Trees don't grow if the tile on the z-level below the tree (sapling, or where the tree should be) has been mined out. Existing trees will stay, but they won't grow back if cut down.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »

That's a pretty nifty embark.  I don;t suppose you could upload a copy of it?

That said, I would encase the waterfall and pool, and make them the centerpiece of your fortress.  Maybe build a dining above the pool, with the entry next to the waterfall.  No cave adaptation, lots of mist, and you get to figure out how to secure it :).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »

Trees don't grow if the tile on the z-level below the tree (sapling, or where the tree should be) has been mined out. Existing trees will stay, but they won't grow back if cut down.
Oh, interesting. Thats a new way to keep waterways, drains and such, free of trees... digging out the tile below them. I didnt knew that, thanks.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:41 pm »

Oh, interesting. Thats a new way to keep waterways, drains and such, free of trees... digging out the tile below them. I didnt knew that, thanks.
AFAIK, don't work with underground trees.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 03:26:07 pm »

AHHH. So many cool suggestions.. but i'm so bad at above ground building. I think what I might do is just build a bridge across, two towers on each side, and build to columns going down vertically with bridges across ever so often underneath the towers, with the bedrooms all around in and behind the waterfall with fortifications for the mist. And of course, a grand open air dining room right in front of the waterfall with a magnificent statue garden in the middle. The ideas keep flowing! Maybe I could have the tombs underneath the plungepool so the tears of the world and crying down upon them...   

Of course, I will most likely die before I get this all done. How might I share this embark with those who want it?

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 06:38:41 pm »

What I see here is multiple z-levels of potential windowed viewing of a waterfall. Carve out all living quarters to have a window overlooking that triangle-shaped lake. Make sure all bridges to cross the deeper river are over the river rather than the lake, so as to not mar the view. Looks like you have plenty of trees, so aim for the more luxurious apartments to have clear glass windows. Cheaper apartments are long and only get one green glass window. In all cases make sure to smooth and engrave the floor over which the window will lie, and define the room before the window gets put in, to ensure the window contributes to the opulence of the room. I'm not sure if that last step is necessary, actually, but it's something I always do just to be sure.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:27:44 pm »

Well things are working so far. Got the first 7 bedrooms all behind the waterfall with the mist spraying in through the fortifications. They happy.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:58 pm »

I love these kind of three-way river gorge maps. I like to construct a shaft down into the center of the gorge and then branch out into the surrounding cliffsides and construct my base there.
Also, I love to use DFHack in construction, via the digcircle filled # command. I make a main room for the center of the fort, then branch out on all sides with halls with lead to littler circles. Each sphere has a purpose; some are stockpiles, one is a dorm, another a hospital, one a dining room and the adjacent one a kitchen. It actually is pretty fun and it tends to leave you with quite some room left over. The only problem is, naturally, the inefficient use of the underground space, as you will have plenty of unrevealed tiles, and if a metal vein runs through a sphere, do you dare risk your OCD to mine it out?

I'd say no, but to each their own...
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:47:13 pm »

You know, in DF I think about doing things perfectly, then just go 'screw it' and dig some ugly, yet practical, monstrosity. Mined out ore veins and all.
Pages: [1] 2