Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115714 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #810 on: November 09, 2013, 11:11:25 pm »

Pfffft. The would could be round, it's just the other ocean has nothing it it (Ala the pacific ocean :P)
I'm pretty sure that the Pacific has lots of little islands in it. The Atlantic just has the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 09, 2013, 11:27:42 pm »

Well, a big enough expanse of ocean that no-one bothers with it :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 10, 2013, 02:25:51 am »

Query: Regarding "Ranger's Animal Companion progresses at the same rate as the Druid's", does that influence the level you get your animal companion class ability, or only the progression once you have it?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:54:05 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 10, 2013, 07:30:31 am »

Query: Regarding "Ranger's Animal Companion progresses at the same rate as the Druid's", does that influence the level you get your animal companion class ability, or only the progression once you have it?
I believe it is the latter.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:59 am »

The word "progresses," as well as the phrase "common sense," agree with Remuthra's interpretation.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 11, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »

Out of idle curiosity, since Team Dishonorable is good to go, what is the other team still waiting on?  Is a two-party campaign still in the works, or has one team dropped out of the running?  ^_^

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 11, 2013, 09:52:51 pm »

Mostly character sheets from what I know Culise.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 11, 2013, 09:54:22 pm »

Ah, OK.  Not much we can do but wait, then. ^_^

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 12, 2013, 03:53:10 am »

I'm not sure what difference it makes. You either get a 1st level Companion at Rangerlevel 1, or a 4th level Companion at Rangerlevel 4. Don't you?

Edit: Because, as far as I know, the only difference between Ranger and Druid Companions is that the Rangers are three or four levels below Druids.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:56:34 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 12, 2013, 04:02:52 am »

I'm not sure what difference it makes. You either get a 1st level Companion at Rangerlevel 1, or a 4th level Companion at Rangerlevel 4. Don't you?

Edit: Because, as far as I know, the only difference between Ranger and Druid Companions is that the Rangers are three or four levels below Druids.

A Ranger's effective Druid level for determining their Animal Companion's statistics is equal to half their Ranger level.  They also do not get an Animal Companion until level 4.  Why it might be relevant?  Dipping Ranger for a plethora of features becomes significantly less enticing when Animal Companion isn't an option, especially if they want to do a mounted class.  An Animal Companion at level 1 is basically a free extra Fighter, and if they grab a couple feats or prestige classes, then it becomes a force in its own right.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 12, 2013, 06:28:43 am »

A Ranger's effective Druid level for determining their Animal Companion's statistics is equal to half their Ranger level.  They also do not get an Animal Companion until level 4.  Why it might be relevant?  Dipping Ranger for a plethora of features becomes significantly less enticing when Animal Companion isn't an option, especially if they want to do a mounted class.  An Animal Companion at level 1 is basically a free extra Fighter, and if they grab a couple feats or prestige classes, then it becomes a force in its own right.
Well, a little less munchkiny than that, I'd most likely only be taking an eagle or a climbdog, but you are correct in that it determines whether my 1-level ranger dip (for skills with decent BAB mostly, though Track certainly doesn't hurt either) gives me an Animal Companion of a first level Druid or just no Animal Companion.
Actually, arguably not getting the Animal Companion is better, since I'll be taking Leadership at level 6, and an extra level or two to a Cohort is most likely more valuable than a first level Animal Companion, especially aboard a ship.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:32:56 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 12, 2013, 07:14:06 pm »

See, the really nice thing about the changes is that to boost Scouts, only one of the changes applies, but it is all that is needed. Full attack actions now standard actions. Awww yeah.

Swift Hunter works far better with ranger as your primary class though, which is sad. Plus, unless I took it very early on, if my first favored enemy wasn't dragons there'd be some discrepancies, as a dragonborn.

Speaking of which, how's our boat coming along? Is anyone else on Team Valiant Honorable Manly Noble Gentlepeoplecreatures going to contribute, or are we getting a rowboat so I can spend my 7k gold?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 12, 2013, 07:16:37 pm »

That's no rowboat. That there is the Rowboat of JUSTICE!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:10 pm »

I have 2000 GP I put in, and Tryrar offered 117 GP. 

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 12, 2013, 08:07:29 pm »

I have 2000 GP I put in, and Tryrar offered 117 GP. his crummy leftovers whilst looking down his nose at us.
Fixed it for you.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57