Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115593 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #780 on: November 03, 2013, 05:08:08 pm »

Thanks to the homebrew rules, that is incorrect. Free Level Asjustment for every level you take in a Tier 5 class. Monks are a tier 5 class.

Edit: Err, okay, that's not totally correct, but it's what the Half-Dragon got. >.>
What I'm trying to say is that you'd be level ten when the rest of us are at level 6. A bit breaking that >.>
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 03, 2013, 05:12:21 pm »

I'm also a Monk.

A Monk.

EDIT: Anyway, I doubt it'll happen either way. Holier Than Thou needs a skillmonkey and navigator.

I still can't figure out what Trackless Step should be replaced with.

May I trade Knowledge (dungeoneering) for Profession, Remuthra? And Handle Animal with Use Rope?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:14:40 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 03, 2013, 05:14:06 pm »

And?

Also, said four levels will stop you getting any bonus monk powers available at 17th level and beyond.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 03, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »

>.> It only becomes an ultra monk at level 20. At level 6 it's just decent; only 8 shuriken a round, they get full AC, and not enough money for huge bonuses to damage.
This doesn't inspire my confidence.
I'm also a Monk.

A Monk.

EDIT: Anyway, I doubt it'll happen either way. Holier Than Thou needs a skillmonkey and navigator.

I still can't figure out what Trackless Step should be replaced with.

May I trade Knowledge (dungeoneering) for Profession, Remuthra? And Handle Animal with Use Rope?
I trust you know my ruling on this?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 03, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »

Considering I'd only be going to 11th level as a monk anyway.

I also don't see how it'd stop me from getting those, if Remuthra allows me to have the race and level 6 of monk.

Also, Taricus, Monks are generally agreed upon to be the worst core class. The worst. Look at the homebrew rules in the OP and see how they're described.

FAKEEDIT: I also don't get much to attack with, Remuthra. Flurry of Blows plus Rapid Shot plus TWF brings me down to +1/+1+1/-4 BAB with either hand. If I can take Yuan-Ti, it goes up to +5/+5/+5/+0 instead.

EDIT: I think ruling is yes if there's RP reason?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 03, 2013, 05:24:23 pm »

Considering I'd only be going to 11th level as a monk anyway.

I also don't see how it'd stop me from getting those, if Remuthra allows me to have the race and level 6 of monk.

Also, Taricus, Monks are generally agreed upon to be the worst core class. The worst. Look at the homebrew rules in the OP and see how they're described.

FAKEEDIT: I also don't get much to attack with, Remuthra. Flurry of Blows plus Rapid Shot plus TWF brings me down to +1/+1+1/-4 BAB with either hand. If I can take Yuan-Ti, it goes up to +5/+5/+5/+0 instead.

EDIT: I think ruling is yes if there's RP reason?
Yes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 03, 2013, 05:50:13 pm »

Would a longspear fit in a Quiver of Ehlonna? Would a club?
For swim checks, I can base the amount I move off my fly speed, right? I think it makes sense; I can use my wings to move through the water, after all, probably more efficient than normal swimming.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 03, 2013, 05:51:50 pm »

Alternately, I got bored and ran some numbers.  8000 lbf is around 36 kN.  Iron has an average Vickers hardness of 608 MPa, putting out an average deformation under that particular test force of 0.01 mm.  Running shear stress models using the shear stress modulus of 82 GPa (by contrast, wood has a typical stress modulus measured in kPa) and assuming an applied area of around 0.0077 m2 (lowballing with a 1" diameter and a 1' length, since dimensions aren't given) doesn't give much better, with around 0.2mm of deformation for a 1" test length.  So, even some thin iron cladding on the prow alone should also fix the issue just as well, if my maths aren't incorrect.
It's probably a little weird that my first reaction to the issue was to reach for my slide rule...at least I didn't go for my old notes on impact forces and elastic deformations therein.
Alright, so the immovable rod wouldn't be destroyed. Not that magic items can be destroyed by mundane means.
The question has more to do with wood. Would the ship stop, or would the hull break? It depends on speed and hull, and we have no answer.
Err, my response had nothing to do with the immovable rod - are they even made out of iron?  My thoughts had to do with the use of iron cladding on the ship's hull to stop the immovable rod from punching through the hull.
Oh. I see.
I'm not sure if the immovable rod would punch through a wooden hull. It depends on how much force the hull can withstand...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:27 pm »

Would a longspear fit in a Quiver of Ehlonna? Would a club?
For swim checks, I can base the amount I move off my fly speed, right? I think it makes sense; I can use my wings to move through the water, after all, probably more efficient than normal swimming.
Yes, probably, and yes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 03, 2013, 06:14:13 pm »

Can I replace Tuilvanue or whatever automatic language with Sylvan, Auran, or Elven?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 03, 2013, 06:21:22 pm »

Can I replace Tuilvanue or whatever automatic language with Sylvan, Auran, or Elven?
No, but you can also have Common.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 03, 2013, 06:55:57 pm »

I already have Common. I would have Common, Draconic, and Tuilulvanue or whatever it's called.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:04 pm »

ptw
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 07, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »

As for immovable rod vs. ship, think about what would happen when that ship struck an unmoving pillar of rock in the ocean. Do ships in that situation tend to get hull breaches and sink?

The rod is different, because it can support only 8000 lb. But also a creature can make a STR DC 30 check and push it 10', which means a creature with STR bonus +20 will be able to Take 10, that is, STR score of 50. You'd need a STR score of 30 minimum to have a chance at making that check.

Anyway, the rod cuts out at 8000 lb. force placed upon it. I think that's different from an 8000 lb. rod striking the ship. But certainly it's an instant effect because the rod doesn't keep putting 8000 lb. of resistance against the ship. The description says the rod "falls" not that it "slowly sinks".

After doing some research online this is really difficult if you've never gotten very far into physics courses. You've got force calculations and material strengths, and it's just too arcane for me.

Spoiler: football players (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: pressure washers (click to show/hide)

This has been your Poorly Researched Amateur Science Hour! We now return you to your regularly-scheduled optimizing.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57