Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115753 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #690 on: November 01, 2013, 11:56:41 pm »

Carpenter/Tailor/Surgeon
Sailor 1
Sailor 2
Ship's Cook.
I'll go do a diviner now.
Actually, first level divination spells suck. I'm going to roll something else tomorrow.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 02, 2013, 12:02:38 am »

Ok, I'm putting in 2000 toward the Holier Than Thou.

Torik can totally be the Bosun, he can climb, do rope stuff and boss the crew around.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 02, 2013, 12:03:41 am »

I don't get Profession as a class skill. >.> Somehow. I can get 2 ranks in it with my essentially spare 4 skill points, though.
Trade in some other skill that doesn't fit your character background for it?

Edit: Rolled HP, amusing results: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4282778/
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 02, 2013, 12:05:57 am »

The name will only get longer as I think of more. It's how dragonborn names work, and you would call her Harroc. Or she'd get a bit pissy. It comes from being Holier than Thou. :P

Also, I want to get a ring of swimming and an immovable rod. Maybe two. Would you guys rather me donate the money to the caravel?

I ask because I can fly over in front of enemy ship, dive real quick, place rods, come up, return to ship. Suddenly, deadly hazards.

FAKEDIT: I could trade in Handle Animal and Knowledge (dungeoneering) for it and Use Rope, though Handle Animal could and kinda does easily fit her background(more than sailoring, at least), but she is rather claustrophobic.

REALEDIT: An immovable rod can support up to 8000 pounds before failing. This is about equal to 35597 Newtons of Force, or for simplicity, 35600 Newtons.

Caravels in this game weigh perhaps 100 tons, for simplicity. They weren't of a great speed(comparatively), top speed being 8 knots, or about 4.11 m/s. This means the force behind it is more than ten times that of an immovable rod. Which is sort-of a good thing. But the question is...is the wood strong enough to take that? No. I expect the wood would give out before 8 tons worth of force was exerted on it from a 1 square inch area. Considering that a cannon-ball has more force...I'm fairly certain we can wreck a ship, or at least cripple it, pretty damned easy. Over and over again, too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:19:08 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 02, 2013, 12:09:41 am »

Torik can totally be the Bosun, he can climb, do rope stuff and boss the crew around.
You traitorous bastard! I'm so proud of you :')

At this rate though, I think there may just be two game threads; one for each team.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 02, 2013, 12:11:25 am »

1. Loyal minions are helpful. Besides, if we can't store stuff there or get minions or anything, what's the point?
2. Do we trust any crew members to be sufficiently powerful and loyal to do so? Can we spare them?
3. Um...well, wouldn't that remove a fair bit of the point of the point of having a town AND create a number of angry widows to rebel against us?
4. Not terrible.
5. ...Can't find anything to complain about, as long as we stop any of them from killing us.

On items one and three: At the very start, the actually facilities of the town (Farmland, Workshops, a Dock, Beds, A Kitchen ect) will be nice to have, even if we don't get totally loyal citizens to come with them. So long as we keep enough order to ensure our saftye while we are around I'm fine. Later on, when we are ready to develop the place, we can come up with more drastic measures to contain or replace the locals.

On item 2: NPC crew hirelings are rather expendable. Tensions between any crew left behind and the locals will keep our crew too busy to plot against us I would hope. If they end up getting killed it is no huge loss. Ideally we can also interview the crew ICly to find the right folk to leave behind.

Carpenter/Tailor/Surgeon
Sailor 1
Sailor 2
Ship's Cook.
Actually, first level divination spells suck. I'm going to roll something else tomorrow.

Hrrmm... Regarding your expert, how effective would a dude with points in Profession Surgeon, but none in Heal or UMD, be at keeping us all alive?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 02, 2013, 12:16:46 am »

At this rate though, I think there may just be two game threads; one for each team.
Ya, I was going to suggest that sooner or later.

Carpenter/Tailor/Surgeon
Sailor 1
Sailor 2
Ship's Cook.

Hrrmm... Regarding your expert, how effective would a dude with points in Profession Surgeon, but none in Heal or UMD, be at keeping us all alive?
Well, my cook does have points in Heal. What's UMD?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 02, 2013, 12:18:13 am »

Dwarmin. I can fly, and have a better spot modifier than you, without even going into magic item boosts. I think we got it.

Yeah, everyone does everything better than me. :P

I really hope the game starts soon-all this planning is sort of disconnecting me from the game, since by my nature and character choices I don't really have a say in any of it.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 02, 2013, 12:21:00 am »

UMD=Unarguably/Undisputably Most Demanded/Desired (skill).

Use Magic Device.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 02, 2013, 12:22:33 am »

GM question:
How much would it cost to get a tabard that has holy scripture embroidered on it? What sort of skill check is it to add more writing?

What's UMD?
It's short for Abuse Magic Device, the skill that lets you use wands, scrolls and other magic items without the proper spell knowledge.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 02, 2013, 12:41:27 am »

It's also what makes Warlocks more broken at level 12 than Wizards are at level 20. UMD check to pretend to have the spells to craft anything(DC 15+spell for arcane, 25+spell level dor divine). They can take ten. Oh, yeah, and UMD boosting magic items. So, yeah. +15 from skill ranks alone means you can get epic level arcane spells from the get-go on scrolls. Another +4 or +5 easily from Charisma, maybe a few more minor bonuses from Skill Focus (Use Magic Device) or synergy, etc., and most divine spells are easy. Now you have the Chalice of Aura Impersonation, which gives a +10 to UMD checks. And is completely made up, but nonetheless. So now you get to cast 20th+ level arcane spells and 15th+ divine spells, from scrolls. Or hell, sell 'em. Huge profit in making god-level power fit on a tiny parchment.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 02, 2013, 01:52:39 am »

Hmmm, Remuthra, you mentioned previously that a flaw might be available. I'd quite like to take Master Linguist, but I'm going to need an extra feat to do so. To that end, I'd like to take a flaw: If published stuff only, Frail, or if the homebrew stuff on the wiki works, either Loud or Large Ham.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 02, 2013, 04:49:16 am »

Well, excuse me for trying to be financially efficient :P

And there's no point recruiting from the standard "Civilised/good" races, besides, that's just boring, I mean, we got a whole variety of different creatures and you want humans?
* Taricus keelhaul's scriver

As for the axes and picks, I'm going to wait on Remuthra on a ruling on woodcutter's axes and miner's picks.
Love, scriver~

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 02, 2013, 05:57:23 am »

The name will only get longer as I think of more. It's how dragonborn names work, and you would call her Harroc. Or she'd get a bit pissy. It comes from being Holier than Thou. :P

Also, I want to get a ring of swimming and an immovable rod. Maybe two. Would you guys rather me donate the money to the caravel?

I ask because I can fly over in front of enemy ship, dive real quick, place rods, come up, return to ship. Suddenly, deadly hazards.

FAKEDIT: I could trade in Handle Animal and Knowledge (dungeoneering) for it and Use Rope, though Handle Animal could and kinda does easily fit her background(more than sailoring, at least), but she is rather claustrophobic.

REALEDIT: An immovable rod can support up to 8000 pounds before failing. This is about equal to 35597 Newtons of Force, or for simplicity, 35600 Newtons.

Caravels in this game weigh perhaps 100 tons, for simplicity. They weren't of a great speed(comparatively), top speed being 8 knots, or about 4.11 m/s. This means the force behind it is more than ten times that of an immovable rod. Which is sort-of a good thing. But the question is...is the wood strong enough to take that? No. I expect the wood would give out before 8 tons worth of force was exerted on it from a 1 square inch area. Considering that a cannon-ball has more force...I'm fairly certain we can wreck a ship, or at least cripple it, pretty damned easy. Over and over again, too.
Ah, hello, Thales!

Tis what I plan on at this point.

Dwarmin. I can fly, and have a better spot modifier than you, without even going into magic item boosts. I think we got it.

Yeah, everyone does everything better than me. :P

I really hope the game starts soon-all this planning is sort of disconnecting me from the game, since by my nature and character choices I don't really have a say in any of it.
I'm really just waiting on everyone to finish sheets and such.

GM question:
How much would it cost to get a tabard that has holy scripture embroidered on it? What sort of skill check is it to add more writing?

What's UMD?
It's short for Abuse Magic Device, the skill that lets you use wands, scrolls and other magic items without the proper spell knowledge.
Similar to a regular Scripture.

Profession (Sewing) or something, DC 20 by default.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 02, 2013, 08:42:59 am »

-snip-
Considering that a cannon-ball has more force...I'm fairly certain we can wreck a ship, or at least cripple it, pretty damned easy. Over and over again, too.
It can, but it wouldn't be efficient. Especially since the rods are kinda stationary.
Although I'd like to see you try to take on Kre!aqil in an underwater fight. Ten gold says he can hold his breath longer than you.

On items one and three: At the very start, the actually facilities of the town (Farmland, Workshops, a Dock, Beds, A Kitchen ect) will be nice to have, even if we don't get totally loyal citizens to come with them. So long as we keep enough order to ensure our saftye while we are around I'm fine. Later on, when we are ready to develop the place, we can come up with more drastic measures to contain or replace the locals.
You intend to sleep and stuff in a town where people hate us because we keep invading their inn and taking their food?

On item 2: NPC crew hirelings are rather expendable. Tensions between any crew left behind and the locals will keep our crew too busy to plot against us I would hope. If they end up getting killed it is no huge loss. Ideally we can also interview the crew ICly to find the right folk to leave behind.
Note the "sufficiently powerful and loyal" clause. Weak hirelings won't have much willingness or ability to protect the town for us.

Less than an actual healer.

It's also what makes Warlocks more broken at level 12 than Wizards are at level 20. UMD check to pretend to have the spells to craft anything(DC 15+spell for arcane, 25+spell level dor divine). They can take ten. Oh, yeah, and UMD boosting magic items. So, yeah. +15 from skill ranks alone means you can get epic level arcane spells from the get-go on scrolls. Another +4 or +5 easily from Charisma, maybe a few more minor bonuses from Skill Focus (Use Magic Device) or synergy, etc., and most divine spells are easy. Now you have the Chalice of Aura Impersonation, which gives a +10 to UMD checks. And is completely made up, but nonetheless. So now you get to cast 20th+ level arcane spells and 15th+ divine spells, from scrolls. Or hell, sell 'em. Huge profit in making god-level power fit on a tiny parchment.
You can't just make up magic items. And I'm 90% certain that UMD clearly states magic items don't help.
Anyways...epic scrolls? That's an awfully high XP-cost-per-encounter. Anyone spending that much might as well be allowed to, he's going to be dropping into the negative levels if he keeps that up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 57