Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115738 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #675 on: November 01, 2013, 10:17:32 pm »

2b. I can actually do something like that. Psychic Chirurgery grants me the ability to implant psionic powers into others.
Meh. You need to be psionic to use it, and Cauldron wouldn't be much if it just gave Scion or Eidolon more powers, now would it?
I dont think I've gotten to that point yet...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 01, 2013, 10:19:07 pm »

Spoiler alert: They don't do that.

My point was that Chirugery just gives an extra psionic power to someone who already has psionic powers, which kinda defeats the point.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:25 pm »

Well, you can pick up stuff that gives you power points, the mana of psionics. So not really. It's just an augment.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:41 pm »

How would we control them when we were out?

Several options. The first of which is we don't. As long as we hide the loot elsewhere so they can't take it, I don't care what they do when we ain't around.

Second we could leave some crew behind and take some locals on the boat to replace them. This would leave a presences there, and take some of their ability to resist with us. They may cause trouble on the boat, but at least we will be around to handle it.

Third we could act like the dishonorable pirates we are and kill the able bodied males as soon as we seize control.

Fourth we could put up with their treachery for a time. Eventually we can start building up their local economy, and that will take some of the vennom from their hate.

5th we can work with a race that values might in a leader. I'm sure there is a race/culture out there that are more or less used to stronger people comeing in to kill/replace their leaders fairly often.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 01, 2013, 10:33:59 pm »

Like hobgoblins/orcs/drow(If you can't backstab the leader, then you're not good enough to be the leader :P )?. Kobolds are a unique case, seeing as they only worship dragons and the like. Of course, if there's no nearby dragon, Raiss can give the leader a swift boot up the arse and we have a VERY lucrative mining operation available (We'd be able to keep most of the product due to them tributing it.)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:06 pm »

Well, you can pick up stuff that gives you power points, the mana of psionics. So not really. It's just an augment.
What kind of stuff? Can you carry around a psionic crystal that gives you power points each day or something? Can these crystals be implanted in our clients' bodies as part of the process? Do they function when ground up and resist acid? Am I thinking about this too much? Should I get some sleep?

How would we control them when we were out?
Several options. The first of which is we don't. As long as we hide the loot elsewhere so they can't take it, I don't care what they do when we ain't around.
Second we could leave some crew behind and take some locals on the boat to replace them. This would leave a presences there, and take some of their ability to resist with us. They may cause trouble on the boat, but at least we will be around to handle it.
Third we could act like the dishonorable pirates we are and kill the able bodied males as soon as we seize control.
Fourth we could put up with their treachery for a time. Eventually we can start building up their local economy, and that will take some of the vennom from their hate.
5th we can work with a race that values might in a leader. I'm sure there is a race/culture out there that are more or less used to stronger people comeing in to kill/replace their leaders fairly often.
1. Loyal minions are helpful. Besides, if we can't store stuff there or get minions or anything, what's the point?
2. Do we trust any crew members to be sufficiently powerful and loyal to do so? Can we spare them?
3. Um...well, wouldn't that remove a fair bit of the point of the point of having a town AND create a number of angry widows to rebel against us?
4. Not terrible.
5. ...Can't find anything to complain about, as long as we stop any of them from killing us.

Like hobgoblins/orcs/drow(If you can't backstab the leader, then you're not good enough to be the leader :P )?. Kobolds are a unique case, seeing as they only worship dragons and the like. Of course, if there's no nearby dragon, Raiss can give the leader a swift boot up the arse and we have a VERY lucrative mining operation available (We'd be able to keep most of the product due to them tributing it.)
Raiss? Again?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 01, 2013, 11:18:27 pm »

You obviously did read my character sheet if that didn't spring to mind immediately GWG :P

Anyway, got a nice little document for all the team evil backers currently confirmed and potentially putting money towards the ship: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43736274/NPC%20Sheets/Financers.txt

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 01, 2013, 11:39:45 pm »

Oh, for Team Honour and Glory and Valour and Other Useless Nonsense, I'm going to end up being lookout, navigator, and scout. Comes with having Knowledge (geography), excellent perception, a reason tonbe in high places, and more than decent stealthiness.

Sounds good.  Let's see, now.  We'll probably want to start looking into not only this, but what kind of ship and crew we would like to have.  For our semi-confirmed members...

So, primary needs are a bosun (Sailor, Climb/Use Rope for rigging), master-at-arms (manages armory and keeps order), and surgeon (heal and/or cure spells).  If we have shipboard artillery, we may also want an artillerist familiar with siege weaponry.  Cook can probably be filled from NPC ranks, as can any of the above.  If I have it right, since Noah has a class level of 3 due to the +3 race adjustment and a CHA modifier of +4, he gets one cohort, fifth level, so that can fill out a slot as well.  We should also look into what kind of ship we want to get.  With a 10k value minimum requirement for Dread Pirate, a Caravel will be the bare minimum.  Oh, and we should probably pick out a name as well. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:44:18 pm by Culise »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 01, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »

No, I think you nailed the name with the holier than thou :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 01, 2013, 11:48:42 pm »

I don't get Profession as a class skill. >.> Somehow. I can get 2 ranks in it with my essentially spare 4 skill points, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:46 pm »

I've got good spot, balance and climb-I'd be a good lookout.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:52 pm »

Dwarmin. I can fly, and have a better spot modifier than you, without even going into magic item boosts. I think we got it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 01, 2013, 11:53:01 pm »

Hey, Rem, would it be possible for me to exchange Favoured Enemy (Whatever) for Favoured Environment (Aquatic)?
Also to exchange the class skill Knowledge (dungeoneering) for Knowledge (architecture and engineering)? Knowing about ship construction and the like seems a lot more related to the character than knowing about dungeons.
That seems kind of like taking Favored Enemy (Everything), so nau.
If you really want to. Keep in mind that Dungeoneering is the primary way to identify monsters and such.
Well, it wouldn't work on the islands, and the bonuses aren't actually the same (Favoured enemy: "The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures." Favoured environment: "Due to the ranger's experience in that environment, he gains a +2 bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills in that environment. He also gains the same bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks made in association with that environment").
As for dungeoneering, the primary way to identify aberrations, oozes, and stuff that's underground. Arcana, Religion and the Planes cover stuff like dragons, magical beasts, undead, outsiders and elementals, none of which I have as a class skill. Thankfully, local covers humanoids and nature covers a bunch of, well, natural things.

Nope, it's the same as the druid's due to a houserule Weird. And the position is called Prelate GWG.
I had forgotten that! Huh!
Well, it's not likely to be very impressive anyway, what with only one level in Ranger. Still, potentially handy!

On Holier than Thou:
We're pirates, with an NN captain and a crew that may well vary from Neutral Evil to Lawful Good.
Holier than thou, we are not.

On names:
The Bonze Claw?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 01, 2013, 11:55:43 pm »

I don't get Profession as a class skill. >.> Somehow. I can get 2 ranks in it with my essentially spare 4 skill points, though.
Alternately, you can be brought on as skilled navigator, but a neophyte to sailing, and we can do the training in RP; I don't know if that fits in your backstory.  Still, that's weird that Scouts don't get Profession as a class skill; even Rangers do. 

Lookout aside (we are going to need multiple shifts, after all, so there's not a major problem with overlap), I was actually thinking Thrush could also make a decent Master at Arms or Bosun (though untrained, she does get a +5 bonus in Use Rope) as well. 

EDIT: Forgot to clarify what "it" actually referred to. ^_^
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:59:21 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57