Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115813 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #570 on: November 01, 2013, 10:16:54 am »

Remember: Power gaming is boring. Play something fun, not something that can steam-roll everything you see.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 01, 2013, 10:25:19 am »

I'm playing a +3LA non-caster going for Dread Pirate and Legendary Captain. I am so very far from powergaming.
My objection to burning spells for a breath weapon is that it's just not all that interesting, at least in my opinion. If you really want to use your magic to power your breath weapon, there's a spell in Draconomicon that does that. Considering the awesome (if sometimes impractical) stuff that a feat can free up, like aforementioned reserve feats, blowing a feat on being able to burn spell slots for a breath weapon is just... bleh.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:09:55 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05:15 am »

I would love to say that my flock isn't powergaming, but it kind of is. Well, I probably should be okay if Remuthra makes me pay for their equipment. They are only 5th and 1st level after all. I should be okay. Anyway, I am very weak in a one on one fight.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 01, 2013, 11:10:10 am »

Hmmm, it would seem I may have spoken too soon on that non-caster thing. Damnit, Rogue, why you gotta lack Knowledge?
Oh, wait, a Ranger dip is perfect for that. Huzzah!

Hey, Rem, would it be possible for me to exchange Favoured Enemy (Whatever) for Favoured Environment (Aquatic)?
Also to exchange the class skill Knowledge (dungeoneering) for Knowledge (architecture and engineering)? Knowing about ship construction and the like seems a lot more related to the character than knowing about dungeons.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:05:30 pm by Harbingerjm »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 01, 2013, 11:12:47 am »

Hmmm, it would seem I may have spoken too soon on that non-caster thing. Damnit, Rogue, why you gotta lack Knowledge?

Hey, Rem, would it be possible for me to exchange Favoured Enemy (Whatever) for Favoured Environment (Aquatic)?
What about taking Horizon Walker?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:31 am »

I would love to say that my flock isn't powergaming, but it kind of is. Well, I probably should be okay if Remuthra makes me pay for their equipment. They are only 5th and 1st level after all. I should be okay. Anyway, I am very weak in a one on one fight.
Indeed.
I'd make a Worm reference, but...spoilers.

Because they're stupid?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:32 am »

...They need 8 ranks in Knowledge(geography).
(Also it would totally screw up my planned PrC lvls)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:18:49 am by Harbingerjm »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 01, 2013, 11:19:52 am »

Indeed.
I'd make a Worm reference, but...spoilers.
Spoiler: Actual spoilers! (click to show/hide)

Then take Ranger at 5th level and then Horizon Walker. You get the best of both worlds.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:59 am »

Then take Ranger at 5th level and then Horizon Walker. You get the best of both worlds.
...Why would I take this, exactly?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:55 am »

"Terrain Mastery

At each level, the Horizon Walker adds a new terrain environment to their repertoire from those given below. Terrain mastery gives a horizon walker a bonus on checks involving a skill useful in that terrain, or some other appropriate benefit. A horizon walker also knows how to fight dangerous creatures typically found in that terrain, gaining a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against creatures with that terrain mentioned in the Environment entry of their descriptions. The horizon walker only gains the bonus if the creature description specifically lists the terrain type."
"Aquatic

You gain a +4 competence bonus on Swim checks, or a +10-foot bonus to your swim speed if you have one. You gain a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls against aquatic creatures."
Not sure this is exactly what you were looking for, in retrospect.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 01, 2013, 11:24:47 am »

The reason he needs Knowledge (Geography) is to enter Legendary Captain, though.  Hence the whole reason for a ranger dip in the first place, and why Horizon Walker is not feasible as a dip in order to achieve that goal. 

Alternately, you could ask if the variant feat Skill Knowledge can be used, but a Ranger dip might be better.  Feat taxes hurt.  Or, just ask if you can have Knowledge(Geography) as a class skill in exchange for another class skill, as a navally-inclined rogue with a maritime background.  Remuthra seems to be a fairly nice GM, and it's not like you're going to be breaking the game with it. ^_^
Skill Knowledge [General]
Special
Instead of choosing two class skills, you may choose one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:27:38 am by Culise »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 01, 2013, 11:30:13 am »

"Terrain Mastery

At each level, the Horizon Walker adds a new terrain environment to their repertoire from those given below. Terrain mastery gives a horizon walker a bonus on checks involving a skill useful in that terrain, or some other appropriate benefit. A horizon walker also knows how to fight dangerous creatures typically found in that terrain, gaining a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against creatures with that terrain mentioned in the Environment entry of their descriptions. The horizon walker only gains the bonus if the creature description specifically lists the terrain type."
"Aquatic

You gain a +4 competence bonus on Swim checks, or a +10-foot bonus to your swim speed if you have one. You gain a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls against aquatic creatures."
Not sure this is exactly what you were looking for, in retrospect.
I was going for Favoured Environment (aquatic) mostly because Favoured Enemy is automatic from the Ranger dip but pretty much useless to me and doesn't really suit the character background (unless I can change it to apply to pirates, I guess), while the environment one actually fits the character and makes me a better captain.

The reason he needs Knowledge (Geography) is to enter Legendary Captain, though.  Hence the whole reason for a ranger dip in the first place, and why Horizon Walker is not feasible as a dip in order to achieve that goal. 

Alternately, you could ask if the variant feat Skill Knowledge can be used, but a Ranger dip might be better.  Feat taxes hurt.  Or, just ask if you can have Knowledge(Geography) as a class skill in exchange for another class skill, as a navally-inclined rogue with a maritime background.  Remuthra seems to be a fairly nice GM, and it's not like you're going to be breaking the game with it. ^_^
Skill Knowledge [General]
Special
Instead of choosing two class skills, you may choose one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.
I don't think that's quite what Immaterial was suggesting. And I'm already going with the Ranger dip, since it works out quite well mechanically, getting me Track and several relevant class skills (which go well with Able Learner).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:33:08 am by Harbingerjm »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 01, 2013, 11:31:24 am »

Well, that makes more sense. Going and getting the K(G) to get HW and then LC is pretty stupid.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:24 am »

I don't think that's quite what Immaterial was suggesting.
No, I don't think so, either.  I was suggesting that as a solution to your issue of getting into Legendary Captain when Knowledge is cross-class for Rogues, in case you don't want the Ranger dip.  ^_^

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:12 am »

Yeah, I think a Ranger dip works out best, for a number of reasons (has survival/knowledge(nature), Track, knowledge(geography), decent stats, etc).
I was also considering going Bard instead of Rogue, but I think this works out better for my character concept.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57