Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115611 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2013, 09:21:13 am »

Well, I have to ask what sort of pirate we are going to be. Standard, or VIKING?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 09:34:49 am »

Well, scriver is taking a class that seems to demand a standard pirate, but no reason we can't have a mixed crew.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 09:35:25 am »

Vikings are just standard pirates anyway. AND I WILL RACIST YOU IF YOU SAY OTHERWISE :P
Love, scriver~

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2013, 09:38:31 am »

There's a difference in the method of pillaging though. One takes things from ships on the high seas, and the other takes things from places on dry land.

Not saying we can't do both though. Also, a standard sailing ship costs about 10,000 gp according to the SRD. Though that's the ship itself, and not crew :P

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2013, 09:47:05 am »

There's a difference in the method of pillaging though. One takes things from ships on the high seas, and the other takes things from places on dry land.

Not saying we can't do both though. Also, a standard sailing ship costs about 10,000 gp according to the SRD. Though that's the ship itself, and not crew :P

My class pre-req requires a ship of 10,000 GP value, oddly enough. And hirelings are a silver a day or something, right? That is not terrible with all the money we start with.

And I'm sure vikings would go after ships on the sea if they had something bigger and better than longboats. I know traditional pirates were more than happy to go after land targets as well.

Also, since I'm only going to LVL 10 of Druid tops, and lvl 10 gets as high as 5th level spells, I don't have to worry about getting my Wis any higher than 15, right?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:55 am »

Does this mean you're planning to go on a high seas adventure here? If so, that can certainly be arranged.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2013, 09:59:04 am »

I think we might just be doing that so :P

But yeah, the house rules? Kinda need to know about that before I start making a character.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2013, 10:00:09 am »

Vikings are just standard pirates anyway. AND I WILL RACIST YOU IF YOU SAY OTHERWISE :P
Vikings are not standard pirates in any way. They raided settlements on land, either on the coast or near rivers. No pirate ship went up a river to raid there; they tended to focus on attacking other ships. Not to get into the details of the non-raiding parts of their economy and culture and such...

And I'm sure vikings would go after ships on the sea if they had something bigger and better than longboats. I know traditional pirates were more than happy to go after land targets as well.
Longboats were pretty big, actually. Pirates didn't go upriver to raid, however.

Does this mean you're planning to go on a high seas adventure here? If so, that can certainly be arranged.
No, we're all taking stuff from Stormwrack and we want to go into a desert.

So...I'm trying to think of what would be a useful addition to the party.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2013, 10:02:28 am »

Vikings are not standard pirates in any way. They raided settlements on land, either on the coast or near rivers. No pirate ship went up a river to raid there; they tended to focus on attacking other ships. Not to get into the details of the non-raiding parts of their economy and culture and such...
There was literally no non-raiding viking culture or economy.
Edit: Wait, no, that's time period dependant, my bad.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:04:11 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2013, 10:05:42 am »

Longboats were pretty big, actually. Pirates didn't go upriver to raid, however.

No, we're all taking stuff from Stormwrack and we want to go into a desert.

So...I'm trying to think of what would be a useful addition to the party.

We could use a straight casting character. I'll just be using Druid for Wildshape and Animal Companion mostly. Also, somebody should take caprentry as a profession to keep the ship in repair.

Well, you don't get across a chain of islands by walking...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2013, 10:10:29 am »

I think Tryrar made a wizard, so we're good on that front.

And depending on Remutha's ruling on those house rules I found means my character ideas are up in the air for now.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2013, 10:17:21 am »

Yup, though it's not technically speaking a STANDARD caster, due to me trying to bring out the most from magic missile(I'm trying out an optimized build I heard about, the Magic Missile Stormer)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2013, 10:21:35 am »

Do we got a healer? I guess we have enough starting cash to get some wands if we have to.

Also, starting on my sheet, and I have a few questions for the GM:

1: Flavorwise, what gods in the area (of any race) are suitable for Druids and/or pirates?
2: Can I substitute a Druid's proficiency with a weapon for proficiency with a Rapier or Spiked Chain? I need to grab Weapon Finesse to get Dread Pirate, and those just fit my character background better than any light weapon on the Druid List.
3: Do you trust us to just go to Random.org and roll our own HP? Do you have a roller in mind? If you want to roll for me, I have six levels of Druid with a CON bonus of +3.

Also, who is going in with me to buy the boat? Or does the GM just want to give us one for a high seas adventure?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2013, 10:28:24 am »

There was literally no non-raiding viking culture or economy.
Edit: Wait, no, that's time period dependant, my bad.
There were vikingar and there were Norsemen. There were pirates and then there were Europeans (or Americans, or whatever). The Norse economy in the early centuries of the past millennium was much different than the European economy in the 16th through 18th centuries or so.

We could use a straight casting character. I'll just be using Druid for Wildshape and Animal Companion mostly. Also, somebody should take caprentry as a profession to keep the ship in repair.
Do we got a healer?
Noted!
Also, it's "Do we have a healer?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2013, 10:31:39 am »

'Do we got a healer?' is perfectly acceptable when used in a very informal tone. But lets not get into a grammar-off.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57