Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115610 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2013, 11:27:03 am »

Oh god

Druid Wizard and Barbarian

The optimization is palpable.

I must be the ultimate skill monkey.

Factotum it is. I think I'm thinking of the right one.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:38 am »

Bwahaha. Mages must know their spelling now I guess :P

And that additional WBL would be really useful for everyone, and indicated a more prosperous economic climate as well (Means MORE LOOT).

Also, the druid is going into pirate, and the barbarian is a barbarian. Not that much optimization I see. Wizard may be keelhauled randomly however, just a warning :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2013, 11:29:31 am »

Finesse still needs the feat, because that makes Dexterity a bit of a god stat.
I'm not sure I follow, here. The house rule source didn't remove the feat for Finesse, as far as I can tell.

Feat rules 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15 are in.
I will include the extra WBL if you really want it, but that will entail me also increasing the difficulty of everything to compensate.
I'd rather leave WBL as it is and ditch feat rule 15 (since that was designed around the increased WBL, as far as I can tell), I think.

Magic items have no caps.
As in, you can get infinite enhancements/special properties if you can afford it?

A healer, or perhaps a weather caster. Maybe even both.
Edit: Remuthra, what kind of terrain do the islands have, and can we get an updated rule summary in the first post?
It varies, but generally they are temperate and rather rocky. Most of the inland spots have decent fertility, and some of the less inhabited islands are fairly heavily forested. The center island, where Wavebreak is, is basically one big bleak mountain.
Ah, I see. Interesting...
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2013, 11:29:36 am »

Bwahaha. Mages must know their spelling now I guess :P

And that additional WBL would be really useful for everyone, and indicated a more prosperous economic climate as well (Means MORE LOOT).

Also, the druid is going into pirate, and the barbarian is a barbarian. Not that much optimization I see. Wizard may be keelhauled randomly however, just a warning :P
Well, I warned you. You have only yourselves to blame for this now.

(BWAHAHAHAHAHA!)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2013, 11:31:44 am »

Oh dear. That idea's not going to work. Hmmm. Is LA buy-off allowed?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2013, 11:34:36 am »

Also, it should be noted that in this world, every time you use improper grammar a demon is summoned to the Material Plane somewhere.
How powerful of a demon?
Is it possible to predict where from the grammar abused and other factors?
Are you regretting saying that yet?
It depends on the seriousness of the grammar offense and the Intelligence score of the player. The more forbidden knowledge you are privy to, the more the Abyss expects you to know better.
Yes, but that would require one to invent and establish several measuring devices and make a Knowledge (Arcana) check.
No, and in addition you have forced me to make this canon.
...Time to become an expert in demonlore. Oh wait, I said I'd be a healer, so no glaivelock/arcanist guy.

...Hm...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2013, 11:36:11 am »

Magic items have no caps.
As in, you can get infinite enhancements/special properties if you can afford it?
Yep. Now you, too, can GMhack a +45 weapon!

Oh dear. That idea's not going to work. Hmmm. Is LA buy-off allowed?
Yes, and I may additionally offer free LA reductions if I feel it's appropriate.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2013, 11:37:31 am »

If you have the money that is.

Well, I should have a sheet up soon. It is fairly dependant on LA buy-off though, and I don't know how that would be gone about so...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2013, 11:38:16 am »

If you have the money that is.
That is why I said "if you can afford it."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2013, 11:38:32 am »

...shit, it appears feat rule #5 just blew my build out of the water, since it requires the combination of easy metamagic and arcane thesis to reduce metamagic costs by more than one per metamagic. FUUUUUUUUUUU
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2013, 11:39:34 am »

Well, wizard and druid are both tier 1 classes, so that's all I'm worried about.

Also, I was actually thinking of the Archivist, not Factotum. But I will do neither! We need...like...a skill-monkey, a tank(I rarely consider barbarians tanks), and we have 2 to 3 out of 5 spell casting roles covered, I just don't know what they are. Healer, controller, buffer, blaster, utility. Warmage would be fun to play. I always liked the idea. I can get nice precious Heavy Armor soon in it, too. I do wish Mage Armor stacked with it however.

I've been playing Crusader a lot recently, since it's one of the few true tanks that are viable. Bard a lot too, though that's mainly because I'm the fifth party member quite often. I could go with scout if we don't have a ranger-style character. I always liked the ideas behind scouts.

OHMIGOD STOP IT
While you were typing 5 new replies have been posted
While you were typing 2 new replies have been posted
While you were typing a new reply has been posted

Jeezus

Idea: Can we present to you our variant ideas for adjusted races and whatnot? I think it'd be fun to play an orc or half-orc, but the uneven ability bonus/penalties...bleh. Barely any racial abilities, either.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2013, 11:42:46 am »

Well, wizard and druid are both tier 1 classes, so that's all I'm worried about.

Also, I was actually thinking of the Archivist, not Factotum. But I will do neither! We need...like...a skill-monkey, a tank(I rarely consider barbarians tanks), and we have 2 to 3 out of 5 spell casting roles covered, I just don't know what they are. Healer, controller, buffer, blaster, utility. Warmage would be fun to play. I always liked the idea. I can get nice precious Heavy Armor soon in it, too. I do wish Mage Armor stacked with it however.

I've been playing Crusader a lot recently, since it's one of the few true tanks that are viable. Bard a lot too, though that's mainly because I'm the fifth party member quite often. I could go with scout if we don't have a ranger-style character. I always liked the ideas behind scouts.

OHMIGOD STOP IT
While you were typing 5 new replies have been posted
While you were typing 2 new replies have been posted
While you were typing a new reply has been posted

Jeezus

Idea: Can we present to you our variant ideas for adjusted races and whatnot? I think it'd be fun to play an orc or half-orc, but the uneven ability bonus/penalties...bleh. Barely any racial abilities, either.
Now you know how it feels!

And yes, since I'm messing with them anyway.

...shit, it appears feat rule #5 just blew my build out of the water, since it requires the combination of easy metamagic and arcane thesis to reduce metamagic costs by more than one per metamagic. FUUUUUUUUUUU
If you offer a logical argument, I'll take it away. I wasn't actually sure what it did, just that it seemed to fix an exploit of some sort.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:39 am »

Well, the wizard just got hit with the nerfbat. The reaction from the player means it's a resounding success :P

Also, are we allowed to craft our own equipment (provided we have the skill in the appropriate crafting skill) at all?

And Remuthra, it did fix an exploit, he can't go apeshit flinging a whole load of magic missiles in one round killing an entire encounter now.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2013, 11:47:21 am »

Well, the wizard just got hit with the nerfbat. The reaction from the player means it's a resounding success :P

Also, are we allowed to craft our own equipment (provided we have the skill in the appropriate crafting skill) at all?

And Remuthra, it did fix an exploit, he can't go apeshit flinging a whole load of magic missiles in one round killing an entire encounter now.
Yes.
I like to offer a chance for logical arguments to all fixes.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2013, 11:51:55 am »

Well, arcane thesis only applies to a single spell, so it isn't as utterly broken as unlimited divine metamagic using Nightsticks. If I try to twin repeat anything other than magic missile, I'd need at least s sixth level spell slot, and forget trying to add quicken to it! (that'd require an 11th level slot!)

Plus, repeat targets the same target as last time, so if it happens to buy it in the meantime, I've just blown a 4th(or 8th, if it happened to have been quickened) level spell for less than full effect(which, as a wizard, I don't get very many of those. At All)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57