Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115811 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #525 on: October 31, 2013, 08:15:07 pm »

You don't have to worry about the sharks if you're on team evil GWG. :P
You say that like I should remember who is on which team.

Could a cleric of sufficient power and knowing the "Ressurection" spell [I believe that's the name, who'd been turned into an intelligent undead ressurect himself? This seemed like the best spot to ask.
Yes. Resurrection and True Resurrection can turn a willing undead into a living thingy.

t doesn't sound right because it turns out that it isn't right. I thought that a roll of 1 = 1', 10 = 10', etc. But no, its not like that.
It's like that for long jumps.

Turns out that Jump is pretty much useless. I'm going to go change spells.
Bah. I'm going to be using Jump a good bit. The idea of a whale-shaman person jumping onto enemy ships sounds awesome. I just need to work on combat prowess for it to be worth it. (Or I need to be able to carry my allies somehow. Any ideas on that front?)

Aquatic Human would still be LA +0, since humans are kind of statistically weak.
Um...

That is a good point, but I'm starting to see Doppelgangers as a sort of gimmick. They sound very cool, but in truth, I'm seeing it as more of a leash holding me back from full Assassin power.
Have you considered changelings? They have most of the appearance-changing schtick of the doppelganger, but none of the LA or RHD.

And good luck getting that many shurikens with all those enchantments as well :P
1. Shuriken is a Japanese word, so its plural is the same as its singular. One shuriken, thirty-two shuriken.
2. Shuriken are treated as ammunition for pricing. Add another eight to make it a nice round number and deal with potential loss or something, and that's less than 80% the price of a similarly-enchanted weapon.

Fighting Gods is not a challenge at level 20.
Actually, it is.
Gods often have 30+ class levels on top of 20 outsider HD and a variety of divine abilities. Past that, they cheat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 31, 2013, 08:17:56 pm »

Aquatic Human would still be LA +0, since humans are kind of statistically weak.
Um...
...They are LA 0 by default, right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 31, 2013, 08:20:55 pm »

Um...
Yes, they are.
They are considered by many to be among the most powerful LA 0 races.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:05 pm »

Um...
Yes, they are.
They are? Why?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 31, 2013, 08:27:50 pm »

Because we humans are rather self-conceited.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:52 pm »

That is a good point, but I'm starting to see Doppelgangers as a sort of gimmick. They sound very cool, but in truth, I'm seeing it as more of a leash holding me back from full Assassin power.
Have you considered changelings? They have most of the appearance-changing schtick of the doppelganger, but none of the LA or RHD.
I haven't, but I still cant take Assassin second level, so I've switched to Psion/Thrallherd.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 31, 2013, 08:37:13 pm »

Actually GWG, it'd be exactly 80%. >.>

Also, I just remembered that because there are no limits on magic weapon stuff, he could achieve an incredibly ridiculous rate of fire with the Triple-Throw enchantment. Granted, sneak attack damage and such would not apply, but when you have a rate of fire faster than most assault rifles(and -Bane and such enchantments still apply)...

Edit: Free feat, Remuthra. Free feat.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:39:27 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 31, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »

Um...
Yes, they are.
They are? Why?
Delicious delicious free feat.  And skills, but almost every character could do with an extra feat. 

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 31, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »

Urgh. Remuthra, would it be possible to substitute 16 dexterity for the "Weapon Finesse feat" pre-req for Dread Pirate? Weapon Finesse is exceptionally pointless with a +8 racial mod to strength, even when dumping str and buying quite a high dex. Hell, even 18 dex would work.
Also, would the Aquatic Human variant carry a +1 LA or +0? It's left to the DM to decide in the book, so.

So, for the Evil Pirate Crew, why not do the traditional pirate plan of "Own a Ship. Find Another Ship. Board Second Ship. Enslave Crew. Own Both Ships. Repeat."
It does have something of a problem with you then needing to be in two places at once to ensure the other ship doesn't decide they don't really like having you running them.
You're not a swashbuckler without weapon finesse :P. Aquatic Human would still be LA +0, since humans are kind of statistically weak. I considered upping them because of the nautical focus, though.
Swashbuckler? Ugh, I don't want to be that poor. Dread pirate is the way to go.
 :P

Very well, sheet incoming.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 31, 2013, 08:46:59 pm »

Um...
Yes, they are.
They are? Why?
Delicious delicious free feat.  And skills, but almost every character could do with an extra feat.
They don't have mad stat bonuses. Free feat is nice, though, but I've always preferred something that can take me beyond 18 in a stat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 31, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »

Um...
Yes, they are.
They are? Why?
The way I understand it, because a feat and a bunch of skill points are more useful than a bunch of abilities with highly situational bonuses. Especially since the feat and skills can be easily customized to whatever your needs, no matter how insane.

Actually GWG, it'd be exactly 80%. >.>
Not so. 50 masterwork shuriken cost less than any masterwork weapon (except a club or quarterstaff, and what kind of person enchants a stick?). A magic weapon costs the cost of the enchantments, plus the cost of the weapon, which must be a masterwork something. Thus, 40 magic shuriken cost slightly less than 80% the cost of a similarly-enchanted weapon. (Unless you enchanted a club like you enchanted the shuriken.)

They don't have mad stat bonuses. Free feat is nice, though, but I've always preferred something that can take me beyond 18 in a stat.
They might not be the best, but they're definitely good.
Besides, +1 to some kinds of rolls and -1 to others is surprisingly un-awesome compared to a feat. It's also easier to calibrate.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 31, 2013, 08:55:49 pm »

Ah, but GWG, you have admitted yourself that there are weapons less expensive than it. Besides which, no one ever considers the cost of the weapon itself(like, ever) in the calculations. Besides which, an enchanted dagger of the same would cost less for the weapon itself than the shuriken, as 40 shuriken cost 8 gold pieces. Several other weapons would have less internal weapon cost applied to them, such as a handaxe or greatclub.

Be sure to take the amphibious template too, Harbringer. It's also LA+0, and means you don't have to deal with the whole not-able-to-breathe-air thing.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 31, 2013, 08:57:36 pm »

Clubs and quarterstaves would cost exactly the same, actually.

I consider the cost of the weapon! (And you're really supposed to.)

All masterwork ammunition costs precisely 7 gold pieces for each piece. Masterwork weapons add 350 gp to the cost, same as the cost of 50 ammunitions. Do the math.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 31, 2013, 08:59:26 pm »

...Masterwork weapons add 300 to the cost. Not 350. >.>

Besides, they do not, in fact, cost precisely 7 gold pieces. 6 gold pieces are added to the cost of a single unit. Ten masterwork sling bullets cost 61 gold pieces. It just so happens that most ammunition comes in 1 gold piece units. There is, in fact, still the cost of the weapon. Masterwork costs are not even subsumed into magic weapon costs.

However, in this, I realized we're both wrong and yet right. You're wrong in the reasoning, I'm wrong in the result. 40 masterwork shuriken cost 280 gold pieces. Which is less than a masterwork club.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:04:42 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:16 pm »

...Dangit.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57