Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115600 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:15 am »

@WS: Humm, you can CC Use Rope, but appraise will be tricky...

Found a reference in a wotc article.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20051125a<--

Feat: Appraise Magic [General]

You are skilled at evaluating magic items and discovering their secrets.

Prerequisite: Appraise 3 ranks.

Benefit: You can use the Appraise skill in place of the Spellcraft skill to identify magic items. Appraise is always a class skill for you.

Burning a feat is not obviously preferred, but Remuthra approved my Spot skill for taking Eagle Totem. Hopefully he'll finagle it for you.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:59 am »

Which parts of the house rules?

Also, I will allow you to swap class skills if you come up with good roleplaying reasons.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2013, 08:10:49 am »

Well I for one would really enjoy those changes that make TWF not suck.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2013, 08:15:34 am »

Well I for one would really enjoy those changes that make TWF not suck.
I suppose I can integrate those. Be warned that NPCs will react to whatever is added, though. You might end up being beset by dual-wielding assassins or something.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2013, 08:20:16 am »

Eh, that's still significantly less of a problem than being attacked by casters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2013, 08:28:44 am »

Posting to express interest. I'll start dreaming up a character now. With that much money to start with, I'm thinking of playing a Dread Pirate: http://dndtools.eu/classes/dread-pirate/

Now I just have to figure out what sort of build would be best to get to that prestige class...

Interested in a first mate, mayhaps? I have a few ideas for both whether you go dishonourable or honourable path.

Cool. I'm still planning the character out, but I don't think I'm going to take Dread Pirate before level 6, so I wont have to decide honorable or not until my first level up. If you want to be a first mate, we could help each other out with the cost of the ship at creation, so we have more money to buy stuff, but we should at least plan out out backgrounds together.

We should. Especially since what kind of character your character is should probably affect what kind of guys he keeps around. So I don't make a Scarlet Corsair-bound to your Captain Jollypants Swashbuckleton, if you know what I'm saying. Prefer pms or chat?

In other news, I'm thinking of making a Scarlet Corsair. Or possibly a Leviathan Hunter. I liked both those prestige classes a lot. Still thinking about base classes.
Love, scriver~

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2013, 08:42:05 am »

Personally, I think I'll be going for a (Bard or Rogue)6/Dread Pirate4/Legendary Captain 10.
It will be delicious.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:44 am »

Watching this at any rate.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 08:52:23 am »

All would be best, but if not take and pick the ones everyone wants. Does mean folks can take dips in fighter to start off as a drow or the like though.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2013, 09:00:15 am »

Posting to express interest. I'll start dreaming up a character now. With that much money to start with, I'm thinking of playing a Dread Pirate: http://dndtools.eu/classes/dread-pirate/

Now I just have to figure out what sort of build would be best to get to that prestige class...

Interested in a first mate, mayhaps? I have a few ideas for both whether you go dishonourable or honourable path.

Cool. I'm still planning the character out, but I don't think I'm going to take Dread Pirate before level 6, so I wont have to decide honorable or not until my first level up. If you want to be a first mate, we could help each other out with the cost of the ship at creation, so we have more money to buy stuff, but we should at least plan out out backgrounds together.

We should. Especially since what kind of character your character is should probably affect what kind of guys he keeps around. So I don't make a Scarlet Corsair-bound to your Captain Jollypants Swashbuckleton, if you know what I'm saying. Prefer pms or chat?

In other news, I'm thinking of making a Scarlet Corsair. Or possibly a Leviathan Hunter. I liked both those prestige classes a lot. Still thinking about base classes.

(You know what, I think I'll just decide on dishonorable for your ease then. Here is a background blrub for you, and for me to justify skill swaps to the GM)

The basic background will be that my guy was a very young Druid in training when he was captured at sea and his master killed. He was sold as a slave in Rickshaw and grew up on various pirate ships. He continued to grow as a Druid, but since much of his time was at sea he learned to revere the ocean above all other nature.

He sees it as his duty to teach others to fear and respect the sea. Since the sea plays no favorites the prisoners he takes must play games of chance to determine if they live or die, typicaly this involves rolling a dice or drawing a card. The odds of survival depend on how much spare room is on the ship. Female prisoners may be exempted from gambling for their lives if they agree to marry a crew member who plans on retiring at next port, or if a prisoner (Or crewman) who already succeeded in passing his test of luck agrees to play again in her place. Children are never killed, but are given to the captains of other ships or sold as slaves in Rickshaw so that they may learn to live off the sea. Other surviving prisoners are stripped of all worldly goods and delivered naked to the nearest temple in service of a god who represents nature, travel, or the sea.

He is much more interested in handling prisoners than he is in the loot, which he sees as merely a way to keep his ship, gear, and crew maintained. He is not above teaching deadly lessons to his own crew from time to time, but is pragmatic enough not to push it too far and risk mutiny. He doesn't particularly care who he teaches his lessons to, and is more than willing to cut deals with factions for safe harbor and even privateer work so long as there are other targets in the region.

I think that background justifies me swapping Ride and Survival for Use Rope and Appraisal, right?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:02:16 am by Weirdsound »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2013, 09:02:30 am »

Oh dear. This might be difficult to work beside.
Edit: DON'T DITCH SURVIVAL. It's very useful for sailors. Predicting the weather and such.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:04:24 am by Harbingerjm »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2013, 09:10:06 am »

Eh. I'll take a risk and drop spot or listen then. I get those skills when I get Dread Pirate anyway. I'll just be going a level without. *crosses fingers*

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2013, 09:11:34 am »

Alright, go ahead and take your swaps.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2013, 09:12:36 am »

Hum.  Maybe?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then every enemy in the campaign bought items generating Silence fields, because holy fuck.
Once natural selection kicks in, sure.

I'm not one of those aficionados, but the most overpowered stuff I've seen or theorized has been from Dragon Magazine.
Wizard 20 with Shapechange.
Cleric 20 with Miracle.
Druid 20 without any spells at all.

The Dark Dungeon rules. When your character dies, you die too!
And you don't ever get any kind of roll to avoid it. And you always die instead of taking ability damage or drain or something. And this was one of the less idiotic comics!
God, Jack Chick is stupid.

Personally, I think I'll be going for a (Bard or Rogue)6/Dread Pirate4/Legendary Captain 10.
It will be delicious.
Alright, Robert.

Edit: DON'T DITCH SURVIVAL. It's very useful for sailors. Predicting the weather and such.
Bah, who needs to know the weather?

Anyways...we have a druid, some sort of tank, a pirate-rogue, and a wizard somewhere, correct?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2013, 09:14:18 am »

Wait

Quote from: The SRD on the Profession Skill
You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

It sounds like Weather prediction and such can be handled by Profession Sailor.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57