Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57

Author Topic: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP  (Read 115961 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Oblivion- 3.5e D&D PbP
« Reply #420 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:43 am »

Currently In-Progress Sheets (Which I've been given links too so far):
Thrush
Raiss
Torik the Red Handed
Slicer of Many Necks
Kre!aqil
Henrietta
Vodya
You missed one or more.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 31, 2013, 10:37:01 am »

@Tar: Wow, how DID you get five levels of fighter for free? O_o

If you're LA +5 and we're at level 6...

I mean. Can I gestalt Fighter/Barbarian? Yes? Wow! Thank you so much...
I asked, that's how.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 31, 2013, 10:39:41 am »

Thrush
Raiss
Torik the Red Handed
Slicer of Many Necks
Kre!aqil
Henrietta
Vodya
You missed one or more.

Err, maybe I'm blind, but isn't that the fifth entry?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 31, 2013, 10:40:14 am »

@Gwg: I have to admit, that's an awesome character concept...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 31, 2013, 10:41:12 am »

Thrush
Raiss
Torik the Red Handed
Slicer of Many Necks
Kre!aqil
Henrietta
Vodya
You missed one or more.
You're there. Right below Slicer.
Fakedit: Eyes: Yes. That's kind of amazing.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 31, 2013, 10:51:26 am »

@Tar: Wow, how DID you get five levels of fighter for free? O_o

If you're LA +5 and we're at level 6...

I mean. Can I gestalt Fighter/Barbarian? Yes? Wow! Thank you so much...
He didn't, he got 5 levels of LA bought off early by taking fighter.

Depends, do they cast at all?
Wait.  I can understand your dismay at wizards and clerics (even if I fervently disagree), but do you hate any casters at all?
Most casters tend to be pretty overpowered (Due to what their spells can actually do). But the lesser casters, such as sorcerer and such are fine by me.
Are... Are you serious?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00:05 am »

Sorcerers don't get bonus feats, nor do they get access to EVERY spell. What spells they pick happens to be the ones they're mostly stuck with.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 31, 2013, 11:03:15 am »

Wait.  I can understand your dismay at wizards and clerics (even if I fervently disagree), but do you hate any casters at all?
Most casters tend to be pretty overpowered (Due to what their spells can actually do). But the lesser casters, such as sorcerer and such are fine by me.
Ah.  Really, I think only wizards, clerics, and druids have that tendency to be overpowered, and that only in the hands of a skilled player.  Factotums tend to be broken as skill-monkeys rather than casters, and artificers are the only other one that I can think of that may even come up in such a discussion of broken classes (and that by abusing craft rules, again, rather than spellcasting).  Certainly, spellcasters get nicer toys than other attackers without certain supplemental books (and may I say, thank you again for allowing ToB, even if I'm not using it :3), but it's hardly most casters. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 31, 2013, 11:15:11 am »

To add to the list of spellcasters that are pretty well balanced, Assassin's spells are severely limited, especially in SPD

Unbalanced: MYSTIC FUCKING THEURGE. Combines the worst parts of arcane and divine spellcasting, but effectively doubles level advancement.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 31, 2013, 11:25:31 am »

Thrush
Raiss
Torik the Red Handed
Slicer of Many Necks
Kre!aqil
Henrietta
Vodya
You missed one or more.
Err, maybe I'm blind, but isn't that the fifth entry?
Dammit.

@Gwg: I have to admit, that's an awesome character concept...
Oh?

Ah.  Really, I think only wizards, clerics, and druids have that tendency to be overpowered, and that only in the hands of a skilled player.  Factotums tend to be broken as skill-monkeys rather than casters, and artificers are the only other one that I can think of that may even come up in such a discussion of broken classes (and that by abusing craft rules, again, rather than spellcasting).  Certainly, spellcasters get nicer toys than other attackers without certain supplemental books (and may I say, thank you again for allowing ToB, even if I'm not using it :3), but it's hardly most casters.
On the other hand, spellcasters can often surpass classes in their own specialties. Who needs a rogue to open doors when you have knock, ethereal jaunt, or (everyone's favorite lockpick) disintegrate? Who needs a fighter when you can turn into a dragon? Who needs a meatshield when you can summon cages of force to protect the party?
Yeah, you can easily avoid it if you don't try, but it's absolutely amazing what a wizard or cleric can do with a little effort. And druids...well, they don't even have to try.

Unbalanced: MYSTIC FUCKING THEURGE. Combines the worst parts of arcane and divine spellcasting, but effectively doubles level advancement.
On the other hand...terrible HD/skill points/etc, with absolutely no supplementary abilities, a bit of MAD reducing their ability to cast properly (a headband of intellect AND a periapt of wisdom are going to be a lot more expensive than one or the other), and you are always a spell level or so behind full casters. Really, all you get is a lot more spells, and none of the most powerful ones. It's not significantly more powerful than a full spellcaster. (Not saying much, but...)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:07 am »

On the other hand, spellcasters can often surpass classes in their own specialties. Who needs a rogue to open doors when you have knock, ethereal jaunt, or (everyone's favorite lockpick) disintegrate? Who needs a fighter when you can turn into a dragon? Who needs a meatshield when you can summon cages of force to protect the party?
Yeah, you can easily avoid it if you don't try, but it's absolutely amazing what a wizard or cleric can do with a little effort. And druids...well, they don't even have to try.
And this, among other reasons, is why Alter Self (and big sisters Polymorph and Shapechange) joins Gate and Celerity as banned or, at least, severely restricted.  I'm certainly not touching them.  I completely agree on spells like Knock as well, but I just took a look and we have only one rogue with Open Lock for the two parties - the closest we have to a skillmonkeys are Toric/Grek and Nigma/Immaterial.  We don't have a UMD healer, which is going to make both parties reliant on potion-healing instead of wands. 
Hmmmm.  I'm going to go through my old character sheets, I think.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:41 am »

Or, you know, Cure spells.
Sig

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 31, 2013, 11:38:29 am »

Or, you know, Cure spells.
Oh, right, Spirit Shaman, and also that Rangers get a limited spell list that includes Cure, too.  For some reason, I always forget. >_<

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 31, 2013, 11:42:35 am »

But with skills atleast, you can just hire an NPC to take care of it. Considering the cost for most happens to be around a few silver a day, that's not too bad.

And you're forgetting paladins as well Culise :P

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 31, 2013, 11:46:10 am »

But with skills atleast, you can just hire an NPC to take care of it. Considering the cost for most happens to be around a few silver a day, that's not too bad.

And you're forgetting paladins as well Culise :P
Yeah, but I'm not seeing many Paladins in our merry bands of pirates.  Though I can't say I wasn't tempted to have a bit of a lark, especially with all those houserule bonuses. :D
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57