Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Mafia Theory  (Read 75748 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Theory
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:00 pm »

Used to be more common here, where scum would specifically lurk and post as little as possible in order to avoid garnering any attention.

Then a few people started using the Lynch All Lurkers rule to both weed out lurking scum as well as get rid of unhelpful players in general, so it is much less common.

Still, I occasionally see it crop up in scum chat where someone will mention that they are being lurky scum in order to avoid attention.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:53 am »

Used to be more common here, where scum would specifically lurk and post as little as possible in order to avoid garnering any attention.

Then a few people started using the Lynch All Lurkers rule to both weed out lurking scum as well as get rid of unhelpful players in general, so it is much less common.

Still, I occasionally see it crop up in scum chat where someone will mention that they are being lurky scum in order to avoid attention.
This rule should be law someday. >:I
Activity is the soul of games.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2014, 07:24:49 am »

For some reason I get the feeling that perhaps "Modkill all lurkers below [thresh-hold]" wouldn't foster the kind of atmosphere you're going for. I'm all for it but... I dunno...
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

I'm interested to see if your analysis helps you out in my newest game, NQT.

Although there may be confounding factors for your initial proposition, about town players talking the most -  I'd be interested in seeing the odds of posts-per-day-while-alive-average rather than post-counts for the entire game.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2014, 06:23:06 pm »

I suspect the reasons that make this tendency happen in regular mafia games will also apply, namely that scum are inherently more reactive We shall see!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »

Scum are more reactive, but that can mean you end up posting more if a lot of people are interacting with you.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2014, 05:55:03 pm »

What do people think of the notion that Day 1 is town's opportunity to vote out the least useful player to the town cause? As far as I can tell, players rarely make drastic slips on day one and with no flips or night action results, there are very few legitimate lines of enquiry. The further into the game, the higher the cost of lynching town. Does it then make sense to use day one, when a mistake is least disastrous, to lynch the person that's worst at playing the game?

If so, is the most dangerous player to town's prospects the least active player, the least competent player or the player that is worst at defending themselves?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2014, 06:36:25 pm »

Its not fun to always lynch the worst player because then he never gets any better.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »

Plus it's a pretty dick move to always lynch somebody just because they're not AS good as the others. It might be the 'most efficient' way to play, but I, personally, wouldn't play in any game that had people voting lynches for that reason.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2014, 06:57:22 pm »

What do people think of the notion that Day 1 is town's opportunity to vote out the least useful player to the town cause? As far as I can tell, players rarely make drastic slips on day one and with no flips or night action results, there are very few legitimate lines of enquiry. The further into the game, the higher the cost of lynching town. Does it then make sense to use day one, when a mistake is least disastrous, to lynch the person that's worst at playing the game?

If so, is the most dangerous player to town's prospects the least active player, the least competent player or the player that is worst at defending themselves?
I guess it isn't in people 'thinking'--wherein 'thinking' = believing as stated fact, but as a veil of unsurity. There are cases wen people state that the D1 lynch is either the worst play, or said people back off from the lynch because of the person's counterpoints. Problem is, the counterpoints are usually in the category of 'logical countering' compared to the 'poor play/least useful'.

Experienced that myself in..the latest scenarios, I'll bring up an example wherein the players mentioned are OK with this being stated as they said so. (ie discerning bad play from bad scum in Worse Things by GlyphGryph). From a town perspective [My perspective, to be concise] (NQT, you were scum here and despite appreciating your honesty in what you said then, I'd like to hear what your thoughts are here.), the lynches went forward due to how the play was brought out--less of 'there was no backing' but more of 'this is illogical, and daresay, irrational'. The defense of the lynched was not that convincing, either, lacking counter proposals or addressing the accusations set against them. It was only fixed later on, as Time is one of the most essential components of a Mafia game. Shorten the time, and people will be more paranoid-moreso on town, and will affect their play. Critical thinking is used, instead of relaxed and in-depth thinking.

On the hypothetical above: I daresay it is up to the person and how they present themselves. Tiny 'misjudgements'-as said post-game, may not be seen as misjudgements in-game, wherein people take the role of 'not knowing' the others' role. I believe the hypothetical stems from games wherein D1 lynches played out poorly (meaning: Town got lynched)? Because I can say that the same method, though in less frequent occurrences, also led to Mafia getting lynched D1.

Needs specification, I believe. :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »

On a similar note, what are people's thoughts about games starting with a N0 instead of D1? I know it's common practice in other places.

I've always been a bit against it, simply because it means that someone is eliminated from the game before really getting to play it, but I do wonder how much the D1 game effects things.

Do people think they'd pick different targets N0 than they would after watching people speak and vote D1?

Has anyone run a game recently with a N0 start here? How well did that go over? And what are people's thoughts on the subject?

Obviously the type of game and the powers involved change things. A BYOR or a game with various available Day powers (like Vote Mafia) certainly have a different effect starting at D1 rather than a N0, so I'm more interested in the 'Basic' mafia experience around here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2014, 07:21:06 pm »

Do people think they'd pick different targets N0 than they would after watching people speak and vote D1?
Erm, I guess it depends on what you mean by the use of Night Zero.
Nights usually let most powerroles act, and a night zero gives a...really unfair advantage to killer-types. They can kill a player before the player plays. Not fun or cool.

Or, if you meant N0 as a way of 'getting to know your role and plan ahead, then that's both a benefit--I side on N0 as resting phase, and D1 as acting. Townies are more individualistic in this sense, as they get to coordinate--they see their role, and the more organized types can plan far ahead with it as foreknowledge. Scum also get to know their role better and talk.
Given the timezone schism between most of us, then let's try experimenting (or does anyone have experience with this kind of play--how did the players fare?)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2014, 07:42:49 pm »

N0 the way I'm referring to it is a full Night phase. Night roles with Actions get to act, including the Mafia who get their kill. And, yes, the ability to kill people before they even get to do anything (except use their power if they have one) is my main problem with it.

I've also seen and used N0 as a game prelude, usually done for RP games where people need to establish their characters before the game starts. Notably, the ones I've seen and used like this are done before roles are assigned so that players make their characters without any influence of their role & faction to cloud things. Helps prevent the 'Well your character is X so clearly you're scum!' arguments.
Come play Mafia with us!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:36 pm »

Adding in the hypothetical box:
How did RP Mafias go? That seems very interesting to play in.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2014, 07:50:33 pm »

Maybe you could solve the problem of eliminating players before the start of the game by using one role more than there are players, not assigning town roles to players till Day start and instead assign them to numbers. Scum pick a number, and that town dies.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16