Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Mafia Theory  (Read 75733 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Theory
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »

I ran a RP Supernatural game a while back. It was fun, but many of the core Mafia players at the time had no interest in RP so there were some pretty new players in it and if I recall correctly there were some activity issues.

The setting also ended up with a rather Hodge-podge group of people from different settings and got a little...odd, but I had fun running it. There didn't seem to be all that much interest in further games of the type, though, so I haven't run one since. No idea if any others have been run.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 07:56:57 pm »

...But that removes the concept of even joining a game (I mean, 'Happy player goes to join game; dies due to random pick.'), the context is better used as a literary device instead of...a literal gameplay mechanic (nobody wants to die right after just joining a game...without due reason).

PPE: Meph.
...I'm interested in RP. Does that count? xD
The points in RP matter that setting and a defined area should be made. But also open for 'creativity': I can imagine a sprawling metropolis with quite the assortment of persons, and then 'significant event' happens. Who are you here?
Or something like that which leads to D1: [Significant person dies, and you're one of the prime suspects]

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 08:12:38 pm »

If someone is somehow bad enough that they're worth always lynching on day one then they probably aren't seriously engaging in games and shouldn't be allowed to play.  Even if we assumed that such a player did exist, blindly lynching them would probably be bad, because it means you have no information to work with on the next day.  It wouldn't be a bad thing to propose though, scum reactions to policy lynch suggestions are interesting.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »

Couldn't someone make a N0 start game where all night powers except kill powers can be used?
So the cop and role-cop would each have one target checked before the first day began, but nobody would get killed.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:36 pm »

Yeah, Dethy and King of the Mafia do that.  It kindof makes sense for a role heavy game.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »

Couldn't someone make a N0 start game where all night powers except kill powers can be used?
So the cop and role-cop would each have one target checked before the first day began, but nobody would get killed.
Maybe allow the scum use of a 1-off roleblock that night too.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2014, 09:17:31 pm »

I don't think there's any tactical decision to be made in a night zero roleblock at all.  You have no information on who has what role at all.  At least with cops you can hit the player you can read least, and with kills you can hit the player most likely to expose you.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2014, 09:29:12 pm »

Maybe you could solve the problem of eliminating players before the start of the game by using one role more than there are players, not assigning town roles to players till Day start and instead assign them to numbers. Scum pick a number, and that town dies.
You could just as easily get the same result by having multiple possible arrangements, like in the current BM. The players know that there is at least one power role, but not necessarily both. I don't know how Tiruin picked it, but I would guess it was random. This has the exact same effect as a random NK, see the BM setup and do the math. Start with one cop, one jailkeepeer, and four town, then nk a random one. You get the three possibilities listed there.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2014, 09:48:17 pm »

Has anyone run a game recently with a N0 start here? How well did that go over? And what are people's thoughts on the subject?

LNCP's custom games have been no-kill N0 starts.  I think it comes down to game balance as some setups are built for it and others aren't.  It would suck to get a cool role and die before you could do anything, but hey, sucks to be lynched D1 or killed N1 too.

I played in that RP, and I agree with Meph.  It was a nice experiment, but I really doubt I'd sign up for another. 

Here's an interesting meta question- how would you react to a vig who killed on N0?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 11:04:35 pm »

If he killed a habitual lurker it would be ok i guess.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2014, 08:00:54 am »

Depends on the number of players.  It's actually the correct move in, say, a 5 player night start game.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2014, 08:22:14 am »

PTW

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »

Maybe you could solve the problem of eliminating players before the start of the game by using one role more than there are players, not assigning town roles to players till Day start and instead assign them to numbers. Scum pick a number, and that town dies.
You could just as easily get the same result by having multiple possible arrangements, like in the current BM. The players know that there is at least one power role, but not necessarily both. I don't know how Tiruin picked it, but I would guess it was random. This has the exact same effect as a random NK, see the BM setup and do the math. Start with one cop, one jailkeepeer, and four town, then nk a random one. You get the three possibilities listed there.
*points at Mafia RoleCop*
:P
And yes, I follow Toaster's ol' rules in choosing people.

Maybe allow the scum use of a 1-off roleblock that night too.
...N0 2-shot roleblock two other people only in that night with cops?
Or, given the wait and organization time, why not set a few...nice-ness in that time. Like, all powers have a 50% chance to work, and failure results in nothing gained.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2014, 11:29:28 am »

Would allowing private messages make the game more fun?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2014, 11:54:31 am »

Well, what would it add? I don't think it would add enough to justify keeping people out of the loop.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16