Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Mafia Theory  (Read 75716 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Theory
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 10:38:15 pm »

Out of curiosity. Have you come across whether voting for an extension is a scum/town tell?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 11:28:42 pm »

PTW, this is some pretty genius stuff.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 08:31:52 am »

Out of curiosity. Have you come across whether voting for an extension is a scum/town tell?
The trouble is that there's too many legitimate reasons why you'd want to vote for an extension. Inversely, requesting a shortening can look very suspicious and typically players (town and scum) won't do it unless there's already vote consensus. I've opposed extensions before when I think the game is dragging on, but that's just impatience and a sign of fatigue rather than outright scum-play.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 09:16:46 am »

The trouble is that there's too many legitimate reasons why you'd want to vote for an extension. Inversely, requesting a shortening can look very suspicious and typically players (town and scum) won't do it unless there's already vote consensus. I've opposed extensions before when I think the game is dragging on, but that's just impatience and a sign of fatigue rather than outright scum-play.
That's an issue I have.  I have heard more than once upon a tedious series of extends to "just shorten if you think we don't need the extra time".  Given that the current meta around here seems to find shortening at least a little scummy, people are reluctant to follow said advice, and days will drag on. 

I usually tend to find extending to be a bit of a lean toward town-ish behavior, as the longer the day runs on, the more opportunity scum have to slip up. 

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 09:30:26 am »

On other forums they play mafia with long fixed days that can only end in hammering and there isn't this extension/shortening problem. This probably promotes a different style of play in general.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:33 am »

I much prefer the long day with hammer system, you get way more information on subsequent days from a full wagon that people had to compromise for than a plurality lynch that slipped past because no-one noticed the deadline.

I think that's part of why the Bay 12 meta is pretty mafia sided, that along with mafia daytalk being standard and the old newbie setup setting a bad example.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:39 am »

Yeah, mafia really don't need a day-chat to win. I wonder if there's any correlation between how much scum converse in their chat and their likelihood of winning. From reading prior BM scumchats, often newplayer scum will forget about the chat entirely.

(As an aside, I enjoyed your Mason's set up— the other mafia players were too trigger happy but the mechanics were essentially sound.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:25 am »

mafia daychat is useful for some, for example when I've been scum I've ended up falling back on the daychat to calm down at least once each game. it's also useful to new scum that are partnered with senior scum and want one or two key posts proofread before posting.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 11:09:23 am »

I have not noticed any particular trend in this regard.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 11:21:23 am »

mafia daychat is useful for some, for example when I've been scum I've ended up falling back on the daychat to calm down at least once each game. it's also useful to new scum that are partnered with senior scum and want one or two key posts proofread before posting.
Sure, but in non-BM games where the goal isn't to teach, it seems like a huge advantage.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:19 am »

Sure, but in non-BM games where the goal isn't to teach, it seems like a huge advantage.
Yeah, mafia really don't need a day-chat to win.
NQT: you just contradicted yourself, is the daychat useful to scum or not? why so or not?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:59 am »

Yeah, mafia really don't need a day-chat to win.
NQT: you just contradicted yourself, is the daychat useful to scum or not? why so or not?
No contradiction whatsoever: daychat can be hugely useful. Without it, scum have to guess at one another's intentions. The game is inherently so skewed towards mafia that a day-chat as a balancing mechanic (for having low numbers and being actively hunted) is not needed. Scum are still able to win without a day-chat, but it's more of a challenge.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 12:47:34 pm »

Eh...it's really just a matter of balancing if you're going to include day-chat for Mafia.

Tallying up Supernatural and Paranormal (ignoring bastards and cancelled games), I've almost exactly even between Town and Scum victories, with Supernatural getting a pure 3rd party victory as well.

Things have been a bit swingy in places, but Paranormal has been pretty well balanced for a while as far as win/loss ratios go.

Can't speak for the rest of the games on the board, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 01:16:42 pm »

Obviously we need a nightchat-only game to test this out.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 04:15:28 pm »

Daychat means that the mafia as a whole tends to play almost as well as its best member, and also allows them to have greater co-ordination in terms of lynching people and responding to allegations from town powerroles.  It's not impossible to balance, but it does tip the game towards the scum (IIRC in mafiascum there's no daychat in their newbie setup).

In Mafia and Masons it would unbalance the whole game by letting the mafia weed out the masons by process of elimination.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16