Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 96

Author Topic: Goblins: So How Hard Are You? (Makes sense in context)  (Read 150753 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins: Oh hai Mark
« Reply #1095 on: February 20, 2018, 09:58:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
>_>
<.<

So um, can anyone detail how Paladins work, for us who don't either have any experience with D&D, or have any opportunity to play it realistically? :( (I'm of the latter...with much interest in it)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:49 am »

The short version is that paladins are crusaders beholden to a code of honor (or service to a deity) that dictates their lives and actions.  By adhering to this code unwaveringly they gain access to powers that allow them to more effectively battle evil and injustice.  If they fail to adhere to the code they are supposed to lose all powers they have.

It seems, from previous statements by characters in-world, that paladins are supposed to function the same way in the Goblins world, but for whatever reason Kore doesn't follow that rule.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 20, 2018, 10:51:22 am »

The code of conduct, for reference:
A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
That's from 3rd edition, which is what Goblins is based on.  5th edition added some alternate oaths.
The whole class has a tendency to spark morality debates, heh.  DND players argue about the exact nature of the alignments even *without* a player's class abilities relying on the answer.

It's possible the trick is the word "willingly".  When Big Ears struck the time-golem of Vorpal (IIRC), he didn't lose his paladin powers, even though the act was evil enough to unseal the axe of Prissan.  He didn't do evil on purpose.  So Kore probably believes that he never does evil (particularly since he spends most of his dialogue justifying his actions as righteous).
He also does a pretty good job following the second half of the code...  By the letter, anyway.  Torture isn't honorable to most people, but the code doesn't mention it.

A lot of GMs would depower Kore anyway.  The powers are (almost always) granted by gods, who would presumably frown on even the most self-righteous evildoer.
But this world is sad.  (And technically you can be a paladin/cleric who worships an alignment itself, not a god).

(3.5 edition also evil/chaotic paladins as an optional rule, but they're pretty obscure, and I think Thunt outright said Kore isn't that.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:42 am »

Given that Forgath's god appears to be an overweight neet, my opinion is that Kore is just an actual Lawful Good paladin who happens to do horrible things. Just like some players might do terrible things and get away with still being LG, because intelligent monsters aren't people.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 20, 2018, 11:20:09 am »

Speaking about the axe of Prissan, can someone please explain to me all that talk about the axe being actually transportation to the demon rather than being a prison?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 20, 2018, 11:24:24 am »

The Sacred can't pass between worlds itself, because it's too "big" and powerful. So the demons decided to trap it inside the axe, which can travel to the material plane, and is wielded by a paladin. Eventually the axe will experience too much evil to contain the Sacred, it will break out, and a convenient paladin will be nearby to eat.
The flea demon also mentions the Hammer of Prisson, which imprisons pure good and is wielded by pure evil.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:29:12 am by Egan_BW »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 20, 2018, 01:47:08 pm »

The thing with Kore being a paladin is that the paladin code only forbids willingly commiting an evil act. As we learned not that long ago, Kore got cursed by demons. If that curse messes with his free will and forces him to do evil[Which seems like a safe bet to me], then he's not breaking the paladin code at all.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins: Let Me Snub You
« Reply #1102 on: March 01, 2018, 04:04:51 pm »

UPDOOT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 01, 2018, 04:07:45 pm »

Ohh I hope she pulls the germophobe excuse. Or runs a silent stilled illusion.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 01, 2018, 04:08:35 pm »

OH GODS

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:46 pm »

Update, I don't think Kin should be underestimating Kore like that.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 13, 2018, 07:00:40 pm »

Looks less like underestimation and more like "working with what you've got". She's a wizard and Kore isn't exactly subtle about looking OP as fuck. But better to Lightning Bolt someone, then run away, than just turn around and run.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:42 pm »

Also could have throttled him with a near-indestructible tail.  To my perspective that would have been far less of an underestimation than the presumtion that escaping from Kore is even possible.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 13, 2018, 07:41:23 pm »

Isn't the floor trapped to fall when there is only one IME present?  Could be going for that.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 13, 2018, 08:27:26 pm »

Could be, that is definitely the kind of outside the box thinking Kin does best.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 96