Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84810 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #705 on: November 02, 2013, 11:43:01 am »

So, uh... How did she even reach the shore? Remuthra didn't go with the "paddle to shore" option, just pulled a spear and started using it.
I indicated in my marching orders that I was to keep my spear on hand at all times during boat rides.
I know, but the boat was not near the shore, and Maru can't exactly paddle it herself. She ordered Orgarr to take them to shore, but given he didn't...
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 02, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »

So, uh... How did she even reach the shore? Remuthra didn't go with the "paddle to shore" option, just pulled a spear and started using it.
I indicated in my marching orders that I was to keep my spear on hand at all times during boat rides.
I know, but the boat was not near the shore, and Maru can't exactly paddle it herself. She ordered Orgarr to take them to shore, but given he didn't...
Does he speak Overly Intelligent Cat? He barely speaks Common. Besides, I thought you said Maru didn't say those things aloud.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 02, 2013, 03:28:39 pm »

Er well consider most of my previous IC dialogue crossed out then, eh.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 02, 2013, 06:53:07 pm »

Kalnaf let's his draconic lineage creep into his voice.  "Stand fast!  Their blows sting less than they appear!"  (Swift Action: Activate Toughness aura; allies within 60 feet gain DR 1/magic.)
Amusingly, that makes it sound like he's convincing them that the arrows don't hurt. How would he deal with a troll ripping on of their arms off?
"ARGH MY ARM!"
"It's alright, your arm doesn't hurt that much, see you can still hold your shield and everything!"
Would that be an inappropriate response?

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 02, 2013, 07:21:17 pm »

You could probably jump across? I don't think there's any piranhas in this bit of the water. It would look very brave.
With a jump of +1, it'd be highly dangerous to try such a long jump.  If I fell into the water, I'd have to make swim checks, which are rather ineffective at -3.
Well, I horribly miscalculated the check penalty.  I currently jump at a -2, and swim at a -5.  This changes when I drop my pack, but I don't know if it's worth the effort (seeing as I feel shucking a backpack is a little harder than a free action.)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 02, 2013, 07:55:06 pm »

An update!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 02, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »

Does he speak Overly Intelligent Cat? He barely speaks Common. Besides, I thought you said Maru didn't say those things aloud.
Maru was presumably speaking in common, and I said she didn't say the ogre bit aloud.

"hey, hey, hey, hey- WATCH IT!!!"  Maru gave a scream of rage as the damn fool of an ogre reacted to the sudden attack, knocking Maru from her perch where she tumbled awkwardly for a few seconds before nearly plunging into the water.  "Damn it, fool.  Take us to the river, I'm getting a closer look.  I said we should have checked out these beasts..."
Note where the quotation marks are.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »

Grek loading my crossbow is a full round action so I can't actually fire it the same turn I load it
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 02, 2013, 08:09:15 pm »

Corrected. If you fire your crossbow this turn, you get to use that same roll.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 02, 2013, 08:11:10 pm »

Vray repeatedly attempts to communicate with the beasts, first trying Common, then Elven, then growing desperate and attempting Aquan to no avail. Only undercommon seems to spark any response: One of the attackers (monkey B) replies in halting undercommon "You are not (untranslatable). You speak with tongue of Great Ones. Can not be! Is trick!" The ape gestures with a finger at the first canoe and releases a gout of flame (Steffan, Vray and Kalnaf all make their reflex save and take 1 fire damage. Eli fails and takes 3. Canoe 1 is now on fire.)
I didn't try Sylvan?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 02, 2013, 08:16:09 pm »

Missed that bit. Sylvan doesn't work, though.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 02, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »

Vray repeatedly attempts to communicate with the beasts, first trying Sylvan, then Common, then Elven, then growing desperate and attempting Aquan to no avail. Only undercommon seems to spark any response: One of the attackers (monkey B) replies in halting undercommon "You are not (untranslatable). You speak with tongue of Great Ones. Can not be! Is trick!" The ape gestures with a finger at the first canoe and releases a gout of flame (Steffan, Vray and Kalnaf all make their reflex save and take 1 fire damage. Eli fails and takes 3. Canoe 1 is now on fire.)
Spells with an instantaneous duration don’t normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash. Was this an intentional change?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 02, 2013, 09:04:34 pm »

I added activating my aura to my action, in case they break out acid spells as well
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 02, 2013, 09:17:52 pm »

Vray repeatedly attempts to communicate with the beasts, first trying Sylvan, then Common, then Elven, then growing desperate and attempting Aquan to no avail. Only undercommon seems to spark any response: One of the attackers (monkey B) replies in halting undercommon "You are not (untranslatable). You speak with tongue of Great Ones. Can not be! Is trick!" The ape gestures with a finger at the first canoe and releases a gout of flame (Steffan, Vray and Kalnaf all make their reflex save and take 1 fire damage. Eli fails and takes 3. Canoe 1 is now on fire.)
Spells with an instantaneous duration don’t normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash. Was this an intentional change?
The specific spell used is an exception to that general rule, in that it specifically states that it can set flammable objects on fire. Such as a wooden canoe. No characters are on fire, only the canoe. The reflex save was not to avoid catching fire, but rather for half damage.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 02, 2013, 09:20:38 pm »

Alright then, now to find a way to actually put fires out... Without relying on a spell...
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 58