Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84905 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #465 on: October 27, 2013, 08:01:37 am »

Mission #2 conveniently doesn't mention if the expedition we are after traveled by land or river, but the rest of your points seem valid.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 27, 2013, 08:08:40 am »

I think number 2 might be the mission I would want to start on-no combat obviously needed, just good perception checks and some travel overland.  Both things my char is good at.

We might need somebody to heal the crew, if they are wounded...

So, any takers for the locate the lost expedition mission along with me?

Also, I think we should save the 'pacifying' the natives for our whole team, or close enough. That sounds like a bloodbath in the making. I doubt it will be as easy as popping in, hitting a 15 on your diplo check and getting paid. And if we make peace with one, we'll probably be making enemies with another.

Hmm, yeah. I just assumed it was a bit of both.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 27, 2013, 08:13:06 am »

I think number 2 might be the mission I would want to start on-no combat obviously needed, just good perception checks and some travel overland.  Both things my char is good at.

We might need somebody to heal the crew, if they are wounded...

So, any takers for the locate the lost expedition mission along with me?

Also, I think we should save the 'pacifying' the natives for our whole team, or close enough. That sounds like a bloodbath in the making. I doubt it will be as easy as popping in, hitting a 15 on your diplo check and getting paid. And if we make peace with one, we'll probably be making enemies with another.

Hmm, yeah. I just assumed it was a bit of both.
I don't know, "expedition vanished into thin air" doesn't exactly scream non-combat to me.
Add in the bounty on their buriable corpses and it probably means undead.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 27, 2013, 08:21:17 am »

I think I'd probably go with you Dwarmin. If necessary I could trade my cloak of resistance for a wand of cure light wounds too. I can use them ok, right? Since I can cast it?

Although I have no travel or perception skills particularly, and there's probably no bars deep in the jungle for me to use my gather information on. Also we might need someone who can carry a lot.

Also it would give a good chance of capturing specimens and then lugging them around for days looking for lost explorers and then eating the specimens instead of starving to death. I might employ a porter or two.

But pacifying tribes, yes, diplomacy is my strongest point but I don't want to get cooked and eaten.

edit: oh wait, undead? Another of the things my character can't do. Can I stay at base and check no one steal the inn?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 27, 2013, 08:23:57 am »

Well, just place me wherever you need the muscle, then, I suppose.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 27, 2013, 08:25:56 am »

Although I have no travel or perception skills particularly, and there's probably no bars deep in the jungle for me to use my gather information on.
"You there! Yes, you up there, on the left. Yes, you, thank you. Would you perchance be able to direct me to the nearest specimen of interest to science?"
"Eeee ee ee-eeee!"
"No, what are you doing with that frui- Oh my! There's no call for that kind of behavio- Kindly desist in your attacks!"
"AHHH AH EEEEE!"
"Oh my."
I have strange mental images. That poor lemur, being accosted by an insane natural philosopher.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 27, 2013, 08:26:34 am »

Well, it's not guaranteed combat :P

And it's entirely possible we find out what killed them and just walk home with our 1000 gold. It's only 100 Gold a intact body-IMO, might be non feasible to bring them back in anything less than a bucket...depends how far we gotta lug them.

Living guys might be tricky to rescue, but not impossible for the price they are paying. Especially if they can walk on their own two feet.

@Remuthra: In an unrelated matter, I noticed you could in theory carry at least three or four moldering corpses. How about you tag along with us!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 27, 2013, 08:29:23 am »

@Remuthra: In an unrelated matter, I noticed you could in theory carry at least three or four moldering corpses. How about you tag along with us!
Sure thing! How heavy should I travel? If I dropped off some of my equipment, I could carry around more stuff.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 27, 2013, 08:36:04 am »

As the token intelligent animal, I think somebody needs to be sent to make peace with the suspiciously intelligent animals.  Securing the local area will make sure there is a settlement to return to at the end of the day.  This sounds like something that a smaller group could go investigate.

TeaNinja and Kansa, want to go look into this?  With only one human it should be easier to slip/negotiate our way into this.  But this small but compact group should be able to fight it's way out if trouble arrives.  We could maybe bring along another big folk for the extra muscle.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 27, 2013, 08:37:40 am »

@Remuthra: Well, lets say a guy weighs 200 pds...try to be able to carry 3-4 guys by yourself, if possible. I'm thinking the other 4(?) of us can travois together one or two each. It's up to you, really. Don't leave home without something you need.

Or we can hope it was a halfling expedition, at which points we each stuff all of them into your pockets.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 27, 2013, 08:38:23 am »

As the token intelligent animal, I think somebody needs to be sent to make peace with the suspiciously intelligent animals.  Securing the local area will make sure there is a settlement to return to at the end of the day.  This sounds like something that a smaller group could go investigate.

TeaNinja and Kansa, want to go look into this?  With only one human it should be easier to slip/negotiate our way into this.  But this small but compact group should be able to fight it's way out if trouble arrives.  We could maybe bring along another big folk for the extra muscle.

Yeah sure sounds fun
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 27, 2013, 08:47:44 am »

Well, I'm not sure I'll be able to leave behind my camping gear for this, but I could leave at least my axes behind. I could leave my armor, but that wouldn't be wise if we have to fight. I could leave behind some of my weapons, but that doesn't give me as much versatility. For example, if I leave behind my 70 lb hammer, I sacrifice my bludgeoning damage and my highest damage output. If I leave behind my 48 lb spear, I lose my 20 ft reach and my piercing damage. If I leave behind my longsword, I lose my slashing damage and 16 lbs. In addition, depending on the length of the trip, I could leave behind some of my travel supplies. Even carrying all of this, though, I could carry back 370 lbs of guy, which is about 2 of them.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 27, 2013, 08:59:30 am »

Why don't we all just go to the "Holy Water" quest and cure the river first, then we can split up and do the other two? We already have to travel to do the "Holy Water" thing right? We just get off the boat directly after he finishes and do the other stuff to save us the trouble of going there,  coming back, going back out right?

But... I'd probably go with whomever need Holdron.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 27, 2013, 09:13:19 am »

While sending everyone to the river fork would be the logical route, I think splitting into smaller groups will help keep things from getting too slowed down.  Small groups should mean faster gameplay.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 27, 2013, 09:18:35 am »

I need to make one last-minute change to my char: I'm taking a couple skill points from here and there and plugging them into knowledge geography, since that is useful to an apprentice mapmaker(which is the background to my char)...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 58