Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84887 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #390 on: October 25, 2013, 06:57:12 am »

Ok, I'll keep the buckler, consider the feat for later, and possibly just leave the buckler in my bag or something on alternate days. Thanks everyone!

I am all done now, except for the 500GP to spend and some additional descriptive bits to finish off.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 25, 2013, 07:24:18 am »

Clubs are cheap. Quarterstaves are cheap. Slings are cheaper.
...Aren't they all free? In fact, the sling is the most expensive of them, because if you want the good ammo you have to buy it.

Ok, I'll keep the buckler, consider the feat for later, and possibly just leave the buckler in my bag or something on alternate days. Thanks everyone!

I am all done now, except for the 500GP to spend and some additional descriptive bits to finish off.
Note: The Bard ability to cast in light armour without an ASF penalty doesn't apply for bucklers, so unless you have another way of reducing the ASF (say, Mithril), I really wouldn't use one.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 25, 2013, 07:39:34 am »

Note: The Bard ability to cast in light armour without an ASF penalty doesn't apply for bucklers, so unless you have another way of reducing the ASF (say, Mithril), I really wouldn't use one.

Oh. Well, ok then, I won't bother. Probably can't afford a mithril one. Thanks!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 25, 2013, 08:42:24 am »

Ok, I think I'm done! I've found a pretty cool god for what I want, even though he is typically worshipped by giants. Annam advocates finding out new things and knowledge so I bet it's not that far a stretch to having people explore new places to stay in his good graces. He also likes a good fight as far as I can tell, which means that I can just act normally within my religion and I can qualify for Ordained Champion. He's got some nice domains, including Sun which lets me take Radiant Servant and to top it off, he is neutral so I won't have any problems being a Neutral Good character. Only downside is that his favoured weapon is unarmed, but that's only just a single feat wasted and I am a human, so that's not going to be a problem.

Wonderful! Check out my new Cleric, and let me know what I've got wrong so I can change it!

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=688058

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 25, 2013, 08:57:26 am »

@Tryar: I wonder, can you just cast that at-will on anyone, and it lasts 24 hours?

yup

Edit: Hell, if we actually do this explorer's guild thing we've been talking about, even if we split up nobody has to worry about environmental hazards(unless we're talking about acid pools or lava!) since I can invoke this on everyone before we split into groups, since it lasts 24 hours
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:06:11 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 25, 2013, 09:17:09 am »

I suspect each expedition will take more than a day.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 25, 2013, 09:24:30 am »

That's just silly. Expeditions NEVER lasted past lunch time. Hell most stopped before brunch.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 25, 2013, 09:33:14 am »

That's just silly. Expeditions NEVER lasted past lunch time. Hell most stopped before brunch.

The trick is to start your expedition with a walking brunch.  Then you distribute sandwiches as soon as that is over that people nibble at so they have the fortitude to power on and forget about lunch.  Teatime is a minor enough interruption that if hosted artfully enough you can get people back on their feet afterwards, meaning that you can make it all the way to dinner.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2013, 09:34:32 am »

Does that mean we won't be using the elven wines in the Arms and Equipment Guide?
No, we can use it.
Elven wine is just a euphemism for hemp, anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:44 am »

Paladin's Kit seems fine. Feats are a bit off; Spirited Charge has Ride by Attack as a prerequisite, so you can't drop Ride By and keep Spirited Charge.

Spending wise, I see a couple things you could do:
1. Upgrade to Masterwork Full Plate. Despite what people had been saying before, Full Plate and Banded Armour have the exact same armour check penalty. Going to Masterwork lowers it by 1 and lets you get your armour enchanted later. Total cost: 1400 gold.
2. Speaking of enchantments, you could get your shield made magic for 1000 gold, or your sword made magic for 2000.
3. Wand of Cure Light Wounds. For 750 gold, you too can be the party healer.
4. A mount. Mounts you can buy include:
Can-fit-in-a-canoe-sized: Donkey (8gp), Riding Dog (25gp), Pony (30gp), War Pony (100gp), Dire Weasel (400gp), Worg (600gp and wages)
Too-big-for-canoes-sized: Mule (8gp), Camel (8gp), Light Horse (75gp), Heavy Horse (200gp), Light Warhorse (150gp), Heavy Warhorse (400gp)
Oh-gosh-its-flying-sized: Hippogriff (4000gp), Giant Eagle (5000gp), Spider Eater (6000gp) Giant Owl (6000gp and wages), Griffon (10000gp and wages)

1: The argument against full plate is that you need somebody to help you apply it. So I'd either need some sort of hireling or a fellow PC that my character trusts enough to help. Although, when I looked up full plate on the Wiki, I noticed nothing about time it takes to put on and how much help is required...
2: From what I have read on the Wiki, enchanting the shield only increases its hardness and HP. I think it would be cheaper to replace the shield than to enchant it and protect it from destruction. Am I missing something?
3: I don't have Use Magical Device as a Class Skill. In Pathfinder using a wand w/o investment in that skill isn't a great idea. Is that different in 3.5? I'll likely get some consumables, an as a Paladin I have a bit of built in healing power.
4: Heavy Warhorse looks to be right in my budget range. Kinda sad there are no amphibious options listed though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 25, 2013, 09:51:36 am »

1. Stupid incomplete wiki. Four minutes IIRC, half that if donned hastily.

2. Yup. Enchanting a shield also improves the bonus to AC.

3. You can't UMD at all without training, actually. And yeah, screwing up badly is hilarious. For the other players.

4. The PHB is intended for average campaigns.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 25, 2013, 09:52:21 am »

I wanna ride a dire croc...
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:58 am »

So I can throw on full plate without help? Sweet?

Also, I can't find the prices for saddles, spurs, other riding essentials anywhere. Are those assumed to come with a trained Warhorse or something?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:07:41 am by Weirdsound »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 25, 2013, 10:07:30 am »

So I can throw on full plate without help? Sweet?
On your own, you need four minutes to don it hastily, which gives penalties of sorts that I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.
So, technically...

Also, I can't find the prices for saddles, spurs, other riding essentials anywhere. Are those assume to come with a trained Warhorse or something?
The prices are in the PHB, at least. But if I was DMing, I'd probably just handwave it.
Ask Grek, though.
Sig

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 25, 2013, 10:21:44 am »

Would a wand of CLW be a better investment than my cloak of resistance?

I'm not sure I'll change it, I'm just procrastinating, really. Impatient now that I've moved another skilll point about for the 1000th and final time.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58