Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84900 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #375 on: October 25, 2013, 02:28:01 am »

My equipments are done too. I spent all my money, pretty much.

I also used the rules for buying the +2 skill kits and fit my items into those costs, with the bonuses. I hope I wasn't erroneous.

---

Also, along with all these other suggestions-after we all make our gear choices-and if you've got a few hundred golds left-consider buying potion of cure light wounds and potion of endure elements. One CLW pot is enough to save someone from bleeding to death. And I'd imagine it's going to be hot some days-one endurance potion can shield you for 24 hours, and recover any damage you've already taken.

Heat deals nonlethal damage that cannot be recovered until the character gets cooled off (reaches shade, survives until nightfall, gets doused in water, is targeted by endure elements, and so forth)

A character in very hot conditions (above 90° F) must make a Fortitude saving throw each hour (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Characters wearing heavy clothing or armor of any sort take a -4 penalty on their saves.

In severe heat (above 110° F), a character must make a Fortitude save once every 10 minutes (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage.
<--

Both of them cost only 50 gold. It's good to have a backup intil someone snags a wand.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 25, 2013, 02:31:18 am »

You are not required to worship those specific Gods. As it says in the flavour text below, you just have to be devoted to being exceptionally violent about your beliefs. Mechanically speaking, whatever your philosophy/cause/belief system is has a favored weapon, just like a deity. Anything that says (with deity's favored weapon) uses that. For example, if you are a Cleric of Communism, your favored weapon is the hammer or the sickle.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:18 am »

Paladin's Kit seems fine. Feats are a bit off; Spirited Charge has Ride by Attack as a prerequisite, so you can't drop Ride By and keep Spirited Charge.

Spending wise, I see a couple things you could do:
4. A mount. Mounts you can buy include:
Can-fit-in-a-canoe-sized: Donkey (8gp), Riding Dog (25gp), Pony (30gp), War Pony (100gp), Dire Weasel (400gp), Worg (600gp and wages)
Too-big-for-canoes-sized: Mule (8gp), Camel (8gp), Light Horse (75gp), Heavy Horse (200gp), Light Warhorse (150gp), Heavy Warhorse (400gp)
Oh-gosh-its-flying-sized: Hippogriff (4000gp), Giant Eagle (5000gp), Spider Eater (6000gp) Giant Owl (6000gp and wages), Griffon (10000gp and wages)

(Expecting it to not be known too well, but: Creatures can only fly (through Extraordinary means) if they're carrying a light load.  This means that:
Giant Eagle cannot fly if carrying more than 200lbs.
Giant Owl is the same.
Hippogriff cannot fly if carrying more than 300lbs.
Griffon is the same.
Spider Eater cannot fly if carrying more than 306lbs.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fly)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 25, 2013, 04:14:58 am »

Ooh, I have a rules question.

I had a buckler, but then I took two weapon fighting. Is the buckler worth keeping? I was going to use a rapier and dagger or light mace.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 25, 2013, 04:37:02 am »

You can wear a buckler on an arm that you're holding a weapon with, but if you do so you take -1 to attack rolls with that weapon and lose out on the AC bonus from the shield for one turn whenever you use the weapon.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 25, 2013, 05:38:04 am »

My equipments are done too. I spent all my money, pretty much.

I also used the rules for buying the +2 skill kits and fit my items into those costs, with the bonuses. I hope I wasn't erroneous.

---

Also, along with all these other suggestions-after we all make our gear choices-and if you've got a few hundred golds left-consider buying potion of cure light wounds and potion of endure elements. One CLW pot is enough to save someone from bleeding to death. And I'd imagine it's going to be hot some days-one endurance potion can shield you for 24 hours, and recover any damage you've already taken.

Heat deals nonlethal damage that cannot be recovered until the character gets cooled off (reaches shade, survives until nightfall, gets doused in water, is targeted by endure elements, and so forth)

A character in very hot conditions (above 90° F) must make a Fortitude saving throw each hour (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Characters wearing heavy clothing or armor of any sort take a -4 penalty on their saves.

In severe heat (above 110° F), a character must make a Fortitude save once every 10 minutes (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage.
<--

Both of them cost only 50 gold. It's good to have a backup intil someone snags a wand.

Actually, that only applies to groups i'm not in, since I have endure elements as an at-will ability(that also cancels damage from my breath weapon)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 25, 2013, 05:39:07 am »

*snap*

I forgot that.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2013, 05:43:10 am »

*snap*

I forgot that.

yeah, it was one of the main reasons I changed my mind and went dragonfire adept(the other is the campaign the sheet was originally for only got off the ground far enough for a couple battles, and I wanted more action with what I found to be a fun class)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 25, 2013, 05:48:03 am »

@Tryar: I wonder, can you just cast that at-will on anyone, and it lasts 24 hours?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 25, 2013, 06:25:23 am »

The actual scriptural justification is that worshipers are not supposed to drink anything but "flowing water." Which means no alcohol, milk, syrup, juice or honey (because none of those are water), no well, pond, rain or lake water (because it isn't flowing) and, oddly enough, no meat (because it contains blood, which is a non-water liquid).
Isn't blood primarily water, which flows through the veins of an animal?

@Nerjin: Pretty much.
Ah.
...Did I ever tell you about how some Catholics used to dip mutton into wells so they could eat it on Friday?

Also more equipment tips for everyone: Don't forget about blunt weapons, if you have money over. Sometimes, you just have to crack some skulls. Literally.
Clubs are cheap. Quarterstaves are cheap. Slings are cheaper.

...another part being that an unlimited use CLW would essentially be "Regeneration d8+3."
1. Fast Healing, actually.
2. No, it wouldn't. You'd need to spend an action every turn...and actions are a currency more valuable than gold.

Well, an Ioun Stone that heals 1 health per hour is 20k, so obviously an item that does better and is more versatile costing 2k is ridiculous.
Can't argue with that.

With such a restriction as what I said, the cost would be 900 for 1 CLW (Caster Level 3, as per minimum for Craft Wondrous Item) per day.  I would multiply each additional use per day by 3; so 2/day would be 3x 2700, and 3/day would be 5400.
Can argue with that.
Why not just buy 2-3 1-use-per-day items?

(A Healing Belt, from the Magic Item Compendium, which does the same thing as what I just said, except better, is 750, and I honestly consider that to be far too cheap for an item that basically removes the need for a healer entirely.)
Which same thing?

You can wear a buckler on an arm that you're holding a weapon with, but if you do so you take -1 to attack rolls with that weapon and lose out on the AC bonus from the shield for one turn whenever you use the weapon.
Is there a feat like Improved Shield Bash that removes that penalty?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 25, 2013, 06:29:10 am »

Does that mean we won't be using the elven wines in the Arms and Equipment Guide?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 25, 2013, 06:33:33 am »

Thanks. So, anyone who knows the maths of it, is it worth taking the buckler?

Presumably most of the time I will be either trying to stab people in the back, keeping away and shooting my bow, or sometimes Inspirationally Philosophising.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 25, 2013, 06:41:04 am »

Thanks. So, anyone who knows the maths of it, is it worth taking the buckler?

Presumably most of the time I will be either trying to stab people in the back, keeping away and shooting my bow, or sometimes Inspirationally Philosophising.
It really depends on your preference and playstyle. I have all two handed weapons and my combat job is to swing them, so it isn't worth it. That does remind me to get a Dastana.

Which brings my available contribution gold to 445 :P.Actually, my armor is too heavy to wear them. I recommend you get it, though, since it's basically a buckler without the penalty.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:44:13 am by Remuthra »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 25, 2013, 06:49:45 am »

There is this.

http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/improved-buckler-defense--1449/

Without the feat, you're losing the AC every time you attack anyway with your offhand-and if you're using a one handed weapon anyway, save 1000 gold and buy a normal shield. With the feat, you're still gonna get a semi-permanent -1 to hit, but you can enchant the buckler and really boost up your defenses, even with a two-hander.

As for me, you can use a bow and a buckler with no penalty-so, I'm willing to eat the penalties to my longspear, to boost up my defense when at range.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58