Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84915 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #360 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:27 pm »

On that note, Grek, for the purpose of "an object the same general size and shape as a javelin" would a club be considered close enough?
No. A club is totally a different shape from a javelin. One has a pointy end and the other does not.
Clarification: For storage purposes (Efficient Quiver), not stabbing purposes.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 24, 2013, 10:09:32 pm »

The actual scriptural justification is that worshipers are not supposed to drink anything but "flowing water." Which means no alcohol, milk, syrup, juice or honey (because none of those are water), no well, pond, rain or lake water (because it isn't flowing) and, oddly enough, no meat (because it contains blood, which is a non-water liquid).

But don't plants contain water? Or is this one of those "It's in the holy book so shut up!" kind of deals that I shouldn't mention to any priests?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 24, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »

@Nerjin: Pretty much.
@Harbingerjm: As long as they're really skinny clubs, sure.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 24, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »

I've taken architecture courses and really like this type of thing, so when we have enough money to really make a true Fortress, can I be the one to map it out, at least?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:24 pm »

Well, this is bay12. I fully expect everyone here will have input on the layout, and I expect even more strongly that the results will make Xoriat seem like a charming and normal place.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:47 pm »

It's more likely to be a square if I'm involved in any way.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 24, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »

Oh, Grek, could I have a Dwarven Poleaxe as a custom exotic weapon?
One-handed; 45 gp; 1d8/x3; Reach Weapon; Can be set against a charge; Slashing or Piercing; 7 lbs.?
I can only assume that treating it as a racial weapon would be pushing it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 24, 2013, 11:01:27 pm »

/Posts questions that needed to be answered.

/Post gets ignored in favour of houseboats.

Great. Thanks guys. Can SOMEONE help me please? And I need Grek's questions answered really badly...

I've got a problem, since now I have to rethink all my feats. I was hoping for Divine Metamagic so I could put my Turn Undead to good use early, but now that I can't get that, I have to get other stuff instead and possibly replan my entire character around not having Divine Metamagic as well as think out what prestige classes I'm going to take (not that I had any idea of what I was doing in the first place, aside from getting Contemplative at around level 10, and possibly getting some Divine Oracle levels in too).

I'm keeping Extend Spell, but I have no idea for the other two feats. Extra turning I am going to get sooner or later anyway, but would it be of use NOW or should I take something else?

Question for the GM: For Radiant Servant of Pelor, do I really need to have Pelor as my god or not in order to be able to take levels in it? Same thing for being Neutral Good as a requirement. Infact, speaking of gods, do I even have to serve a god at all to be able to take levels in Radiant Servant?

And I'd rather have a bit of a crappy house back in the town, rather than a houseboat. You can't sink and loose a building, or have it hijacked by natives while your sailing it or get stuck upriver on rocks with a building too. There's too much to loose with a houseboat than a normal house.

And I thought that Grek was going to just let us hire canoes for trips up and down the river or something instead of us having to buy our own boats. He did say stuff about canoes after all.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 24, 2013, 11:08:17 pm »

Well canoes are fine but I'd rather have something that can transport a lot of stuff and is more stable. I agree on the house thing. I'd help you with the character creation but I'm not good at it so... I'd wait for the others.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33:06 pm »

@Rolepgeek: If it's a martial weapon (or a racial weapon) it can't have reach and be one handed. If it's exotic (and not a racial weapon), sure.
@Zako: You can be a Radiant Servant of anything bright and glowing, be it literally (like Pelor or the Sun) or metaphorically (like reason or purity). Likewise, you can be whatever alignment makes sense for your philosophy. All that I ask is that you have some sort of philosophy/theology if you're going to play a cleric. As previously mentioned, you do not have to pay money for a canoe/rowboat.

For feats, I'm not sure what to tell you. Clerics are good no matter what feats you pick.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 25, 2013, 12:46:10 am »

Alright. Did shopping basic shopping and picked feats for my character. Took D's shield suggestion.

@Grek, can I just simplify things and grab a Paladin's Kit from the pathfinder rules? Its just a set of basic food/clothes/tools/toiletries bundled together for a decent price. Perhaps 3.5 has something similar, but I can't find it.http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/gear/adventuringGear.html

Also, assuming Grek says yes to the Pathfinder's kit, I'll have only spent 712 Gold. Somebody want to help me figure out how to split the rest? I'd like perhaps a mount, a set of lighter armor (As backup, and for situations where I know armor check penalty will be a bigger deal than AC), Perhaps a few consumables to help out in a pinch, an of course I'd be glad to contribute to the boat/secret base money pool. Weight shouldn't be too much of an issue, as it sounds like we can leave excess stuff at home base or with the boats.

Edit: Link to my sheet again, http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=689171

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 25, 2013, 02:18:59 am »

Paladin's Kit seems fine. Feats are a bit off; Spirited Charge has Ride by Attack as a prerequisite, so you can't drop Ride By and keep Spirited Charge.

Spending wise, I see a couple things you could do:
1. Upgrade to Masterwork Full Plate. Despite what people had been saying before, Full Plate and Banded Armour have the exact same armour check penalty. Going to Masterwork lowers it by 1 and lets you get your armour enchanted later. Total cost: 1400 gold.
2. Speaking of enchantments, you could get your shield made magic for 1000 gold, or your sword made magic for 2000.
3. Wand of Cure Light Wounds. For 750 gold, you too can be the party healer.
4. A mount. Mounts you can buy include:
Can-fit-in-a-canoe-sized: Donkey (8gp), Riding Dog (25gp), Pony (30gp), War Pony (100gp), Dire Weasel (400gp), Worg (600gp and wages)
Too-big-for-canoes-sized: Mule (8gp), Camel (8gp), Light Horse (75gp), Heavy Horse (200gp), Light Warhorse (150gp), Heavy Warhorse (400gp)
Oh-gosh-its-flying-sized: Hippogriff (4000gp), Giant Eagle (5000gp), Spider Eater (6000gp) Giant Owl (6000gp and wages), Griffon (10000gp and wages)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 25, 2013, 02:23:07 am »

Got another question for Grek: Ordained champion looks really cool, but do I have to serve those gods or any gods at all to qualify for it? What about the weapon feat?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 25, 2013, 02:24:53 am »

Also more equipment tips for everyone: Don't forget about blunt weapons, if you have money over. Sometimes, you just have to crack some skulls. Literally.
Love, scriver~

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 25, 2013, 02:26:11 am »

Is an item that casts Cure Light Wounds at will (still needs 1 action to use) too cheesy? I think the DMG prices it at (spell level x caster level x 2000 GP) which would mean 1 x 1 x 2000 = 2000 GP. Whereas a potion of Cure Light is (1 x 1 x 50) 50 GP each, or 1/40th the cost of the at-will unlimited-charge item.

Of course, the healing gets concentrated in one person's hands instead of split up. If two people want to heal in a round, or the item holder falls in the water and disappears, you're screwed.

The DMG prices for custom items are guidelines for a DM, not a cheatsheet for players to try and get items they shouldn't.

I honestly feel like a 1/day spell item should be priced as if you were paying someone to cast that spell every day for a month.  Part of this reason being that anyone can use such an item (requiring no ranks in Use Magic Device nor any skill with magic), another part being that an unlimited use CLW would essentially be "Regeneration d8+3."  How much would an item of Regeneration or Fast Healing 1 cost?  Well, an Ioun Stone that heals 1 health per hour is 20k, so obviously an item that does better and is more versatile costing 2k is ridiculous.  With such a restriction as what I said, the cost would be 900 for 1 CLW (Caster Level 3, as per minimum for Craft Wondrous Item) per day.  I would multiply each additional use per day by 3; so 2/day would be 3x 2700, and 3/day would be 5400.

(A Healing Belt, from the Magic Item Compendium, which does the same thing as what I just said, except better, is 750, and I honestly consider that to be far too cheap for an item that basically removes the need for a healer entirely.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58