Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84903 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #345 on: October 24, 2013, 08:00:25 pm »

Just to point out, the Folding Boat is a pretty nifty item. A bit outside our starting pricerange, but very useful for exploration, given the whole "what's that, we have to carry our boat over this river bank? Fold up!" thing.

Also, I doubt I'll be able to contribute much gold, since my Quiver and other gear ate up a lot. I'll see how much I have left when I'm finished shopping.
If you like that, try buying the Huge versions at x4 cost :P.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 24, 2013, 08:06:57 pm »

One Stronghold Space is a 20 by 20 square. A kneelboat is 20 wide and 75 long. That's about as much as four 20 by 20 squares, if you fudge things up a little by counting both the piloting shed and the under deck area.

I'm still pondering how much an unlimited use CLW item should be worth.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:05 pm »

Just to point out, the Folding Boat is a pretty nifty item. A bit outside our starting pricerange, but very useful for exploration, given the whole "what's that, we have to carry our boat over this river bank? Fold up!" thing.

Also, I doubt I'll be able to contribute much gold, since my Quiver and other gear ate up a lot. I'll see how much I have left when I'm finished shopping.
I don't follow. The standard version is Huge, isn't it?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 24, 2013, 08:09:24 pm »

Nope, the standard version is Medium. The Huge version is the scaled up copy designed to be used by sixteen foot tall barbarians.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:57 pm »

Nope, the standard version is Medium. The Huge version is the scaled up copy designed to be used by sixteen foot tall barbarians.
Oh, of the other equipment, right. My bad, I thought you meant the Boat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 24, 2013, 08:18:36 pm »

One Stronghold Space is a 20 by 20 square. A kneelboat is 20 wide and 75 long. That's about as much as four 20 by 20 squares, if you fudge things up a little by counting both the piloting shed and the under deck area.
So, you used logic.
Excellent reason to distrust your ruling. :P

Fair.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:43 pm »

I do wonder what monstrous foes we'd have to face if we wandered about in a group of 12-13. Our first encounter may very well be the Death Dragon Army with that many of us.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »

Hey Grek, can we get some details on this Temple of the River Lord, and the River Lord?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:22 pm »

I do wonder what monstrous foes we'd have to face if we wandered about in a group of 12-13. Our first encounter may very well be the Death Dragon Army with that many of us.
Actually, once you get somewhere around twelve the game really starts to break down. And by break down I mean polarize in difficulty.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 24, 2013, 08:49:03 pm »

It's simple. Throw three times the enemies at them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 24, 2013, 08:53:55 pm »

Ugh, large scale D&D combat. So many dice...

On that note, Grek, for the purpose of "an object the same general size and shape as a javelin" would a club be considered close enough?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 24, 2013, 09:05:32 pm »

So, you used logic.
Excellent reason to distrust your ruling. :P

Fair.

I'd actually just rule an unlimited CLW item would be an outright minor artifact myself....(perhaps sanctified by Pelor?)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 24, 2013, 09:38:36 pm »

Hey Grek, can we get some details on this Temple of the River Lord, and the River Lord?

Sure. Here's some general setting info as background:

The most recent military conflict in that most of your characters would be familiar with was the Third Sahuagin War, fought between the Basalt Realm the Four Abraxal Kingdoms, which ended last year with the assassination of the Empress of Emptiness, the sack of the Black Coral Palace and the capitulation of the Basalt Realm. With the military backbone of the Sahuagin crushed, shipping lanes that were blockaded by the Basalt Realm have opened and a new age of exploration has begun.

The Basalt Realm was (or perhaps is) a theocratic monarchy based on the Empress of Emptiness purported Divine Right to rule over all the world's oceans in the name of the Nine Hells. While the Sahuagin are politically dominant, the majority of the population are slaves of other aquatic races. It had a long history of invading the surface world and installing enthralled puppet-kings as vassal tyrants. The current status of these vassals is uncertain now that the Basalt Realm is in disarray. Rumors are heard of slave revolts in the deep, but with the lack of reliable communication between the sea and the surface, this may be little more than hearsay.

The Four Abraxal Kingdoms are as follows: The Human Kingdom of Abraxus (ruled by the Bronze Dragon of the same name), the Orcish Kingdom of Harshmire, The Elven Kingdom of The Pear Wood and the Confederacy of Giants. The Four Kingdoms were united politically by Abraxus around a century ago through a complicated web of political marriages that ended up with his half-dragon grandchildren on the thrones of Harshmire and The Pear Wood. While the bloodlines have been diluted and the current rulers of either kingdom are only distant cousins at best, the resulting peace has been thus far unbroken.

Other notable kingdoms nations: The Hobgoblin Kahnate of Erelishmar to the distant south, the Dwarven Republic of Underhill and the Gnomish Witchocracy of Ogg.

The major religion of the Pear Wood is the duotheistic worship of the River Lord (a god of rivers, sunlight, justice and travel) and the Cloudy Queen (a goddess of rain, healing, trickery and the night). Both are popular among rangers, druids, travelers and elves in general, but their worship has not readily spread outside the Pear Wood. Non-elves who comment on the issue suggest that the prohibitions against eating meat and drinking alcohol may have something to do with it, but most elves think that the other races are simply too uncouth to convert.

The one tenant that does get popular support outside the Pear Wood is the commandment to establish a Temple to the River Lord at every fork of every river. These temples are run by a mixed group of druids, clerics and lay priests, but universally provide food and shelter to weary travelers, blessings to nearby farmlands and fair courts of law to those seeking justice. Most local rulers are eager to contribute to the construction of a temple, and the local administration is no exception. The local Temple is still in the earliest stages of construction, as a proper site has yet to be consecrated. Mounds upon mounds of consecrated clay sits on the docks, collecting dust and waiting for a site to be found.

On that note, Grek, for the purpose of "an object the same general size and shape as a javelin" would a club be considered close enough?
No. A club is totally a different shape from a javelin. One has a pointy end and the other does not.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 24, 2013, 09:48:06 pm »

Non-elves who comment on the issue suggest that the prohibitions against eating meat
Those bastards-

and drinking alcohol may have something to do with it,

Aren't as bad as everyone says they are-

but most elves think that the other races are simply too uncouth to convert.

They're worse! The arrogant pricks.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 24, 2013, 09:58:49 pm »

The actual scriptural justification is that worshipers are not supposed to drink anything but "flowing water." Which means no alcohol, milk, syrup, juice or honey (because none of those are water), no well, pond, rain or lake water (because it isn't flowing) and, oddly enough, no meat (because it contains blood, which is a non-water liquid).
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58