Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84913 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »

Or just put it in a trapped crate?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:22 pm »

I wouldn't really trust that considering that we're adventurers ourselves and have essentially set out to thwart that very defense.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 24, 2013, 04:50:22 pm »

I have 800 in unused resources, but I'd want to keep at least 100, so 700 available.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 24, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »

Don't spend all your money to buy a vault to hold your ... 0 GP.

Instead just get a couple big dogs to run around in the fenced yard around a house, locked doors, barred windows, small chimney with the flue locked closed while you're out. Anyone who can get through that will be sorely disappointed that you left like 500 GP in there.

Also a house means saving inn money for everyone when you are back in town. Eventually a crappy house will pay for itself. You also avoid the problems like "ok it's midnight and the werepanthers are attacking, looks like everyone is split up around town". I'm sure as the spellcasters and trappers rise in level you can outfit the place with defenses to match what you store there.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 24, 2013, 04:59:19 pm »

I still advocate using a houseboat. Increased mobility and all of that.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 24, 2013, 05:03:11 pm »

I'm not saying "Let's get all these great things NOW!" I'm just trying to consolidate a bit of capital for boats and misc. adventure stuff PLUS a somewhat decent house for us. It seems to me that we might have that now since:

Income/Donation: 5950 GP
Holdron: 2000 GP
Ashura: 1500 GP
Kalnaf: 700 GP
Steffan: 500 GP
Maru: 500 GP
Orgarr: 450 GP
Ashii-karn: 300 GP

Expenses: 3466 GP
Keelboat: 3000 GP
Crew: ~250GP
Rowboat: 200 GP
Oars: 16 GP

So that'd leave us with:2484 in gold that we should PROBABLY use to buy healing potions and assorted things but we could also use to purchase some sort of house [depending] that we could use to save inn money. Assuming of course that we don't just go for a house boat.

Edit: Added Kansa's contribution
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:11:17 pm by Nerjin »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 24, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »

I'll contribute 1500 and I am for a house boat
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 24, 2013, 05:07:28 pm »

Is an item that casts Cure Light Wounds at will (still needs 1 action to use) too cheesy? I think the DMG prices it at (spell level x caster level x 2000 GP) which would mean 1 x 1 x 2000 = 2000 GP. Whereas a potion of Cure Light is (1 x 1 x 50) 50 GP each, or 1/40th the cost of the at-will unlimited-charge item.

Of course, the healing gets concentrated in one person's hands instead of split up. If two people want to heal in a round, or the item holder falls in the water and disappears, you're screwed.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 24, 2013, 06:53:31 pm »

@Kanasa: You may play a Jade Phoenix Mage if you meet the prerequisites. It would probably be a good idea to accomplish this through a one level dip in Crusader or Swordsage rather than trying to do it through feats. That would be a lot of feats.

@LeoLeonardoIII: CLW at will is super cheesy. You can have wands of it (usable at will by anyone with CLW on their spell list), but an item that casts it at will forever is not going to use the standard pricing guidelines.

As for boats:
The canoes that you can use to go up and down the rivers are, mechanically speaking, row boats. The Navigator's Guild is willing to let you use them for free as long as you're using them to explore the river and pay for any you lose/destroy. So there's little reason why you'd want to buy row boat.

A kneelboat requires 8-15 people with Profession (sailor) to run it. You can fit up to 100 more people onboard who aren't sailing the ship. Hiring people to crew your kneelboat costs 3 silver per day per sailor. So 250 gold would crew the kneelboat at minimum crew for 104 days and at full crew for 55 days. If you want to convert a kneelboat into a houseboat at some point, it can hold up to 4 Stronghold Spaces worth of rooms and still stay afloat.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:55:10 pm by Grek »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 24, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »

Awesome well I'll change one of my levels to Swordsage then

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 24, 2013, 07:12:38 pm »

Note that one of the requirements is 9 ranks in Concentration, so the soonest you can enter into that prestige class is level 6. If you want, you can make your 4th or 5th level Swordsage and still have it work out.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 24, 2013, 07:19:43 pm »

An update on the group funding.

Income/Donation: 5950 GP
Holdron: 2000 GP
Ashura: 1500 GP
Kalnaf: 700 GP
Steffan: 500 GP
Maru: 500 GP
Orgarr: 450 GP
Ashii-karn: 300 GP

Expenses: 3000 GP + Expenses
Keelboat: 3000 GP
Crew: 3 SP/day/sailor [Require: 8-15] [[To be paid as needed]]

So that'd leave us with:2950. Even setting aside around 1000 gold for crew expenses we would have 1950 that we could probably use to outfit the thing with stuff we'd need to sleep there somewhat comfortably. At that point we can sell any sleeping gear we have, if any. The rest could be used to build up a decent floating fortress or something. That sound alright to people?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:22:15 pm by Nerjin »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 24, 2013, 07:31:55 pm »

I'll have a think about it

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2013, 07:45:52 pm »

Mass healing spells are not Touch range.
Hence the typically.
I understand. I'm trying to be informative, not corrective.

@LeoLeonardoIII: CLW at will is super cheesy. You can have wands of it (usable at will by anyone with CLW on their spell list), but an item that casts it at will forever is not going to use the standard pricing guidelines.
(This is the point where you either state that you won't allow such an item or give an estimate.)

A kneelboat requires 8-15 people with Profession (sailor) to run it. You can fit up to 100 more people onboard who aren't sailing the ship. Hiring people to crew your kneelboat costs 3 silver per day per sailor. So 250 gold would crew the kneelboat at minimum crew for 104 days and at full crew for 55 days. If you want to convert a kneelboat into a houseboat at some point, it can hold up to 4 Stronghold Spaces worth of rooms and still stay afloat.
...Houseboats sound good.
Mind if I ask where you got the 4-SS number?

So that'd leave us with:2950. Even setting aside around 1000 gold for crew expenses we would have 1950 that we could probably use to outfit the thing with stuff we'd need to sleep there somewhat comfortably. At that point we can sell any sleeping gear we have, if any. The rest could be used to build up a decent floating fortress or something. That sound alright to people?
Bare minimum is a Barracks, one Stronghold Space and 400 gold for 10 beds. Given the limited space of the boat, you'd probably want to stick with one or two barrackses instead of upgrading to bedrooms or quarters of some sort.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 24, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »

Just to point out, the Folding Boat is a pretty nifty item. A bit outside our starting pricerange, but very useful for exploration, given the whole "what's that, we have to carry our boat over this river bank? Fold up!" thing.

Also, I doubt I'll be able to contribute much gold, since my Quiver and other gear ate up a lot. I'll see how much I have left when I'm finished shopping.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58