Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84895 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2013, 08:02:57 am »

...I don't follow. Are you quibbling over how "Spells per day" is used to refer to how many spells can be prepared in each day while "Spell slots" is used for spontneous casting?
...Yes, let's go with that. That sounds much better than any other explanation.

Bards are less 'raar fireballs' and 'look what I can do!' when it comes to magic. But compare the spells they get to Rangers and Paladins-they get quite a bit for a class that doesn't need to entirely rely on magic.

Feather Fall and Expeditious retreat are things you are very glad to have at times.
Personally I'm going for a Bard/Druid/Arcane Hierophant. It should be fun.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:00 am »

Well I have redone it a bit and added the Marching Order to the right place and taken away the equipment I wouldn't want to carry but rather leave in the boat to give me a medium load.

Steffan Arbury, Travelling Philosopher

I am a bit better at party facing, as well as inspiring the party with my fascinating anecdotes. Also slightly better at not dying.

I still have 500 gold euros, so who wants to co-buy a boat or house or whatever?

Also, I can speak four languages. What apart from common do people where I come from speak?

edit:

Synergy
If you have 5 or more ranks in Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), or Sense Motive, you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks.

So I can't get +4 from Bluff and Sense motive then I presume?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:24:36 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2013, 08:29:03 am »

@Lawas: Well, you'll probably want Elven and Draconic to be sure-both are sure to be used in a jungle-y campaign like ours.

Sylvan too if you want to try and seduce the maneating jungle nymphs. :P
Tho they can make your heart explode with their hotness if they don't like you. Or like you too much. It's vague.

Since we have no idea of the inhabitants of the land-and their languages are likely strange variations of ours-it's truly random what will be useful.

Also, looking at your feats. You're going to have a tough time tripping someone with 0 STR. You gotta make a STR check (+4 with bonus) against their DEX or STR, -+4 depending on size mods. Even a joe schmoe like me has +3 from 16 str.

Most things are bigger and uglier than us.

Might I suggest http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Two_Weapon_Fighting ?

Flailing wildly (your to-hit will be pretty bad, honestly) at an enemies back, and triggering multiple sneak attacks with multiple hits is still a remarkably effective strategy, especially for a build without much innate strength.

Then again, tripping is an awesome strategy-everybody starts moshing on the fallen enemy via AoE's. Just don't try to trip a beholder. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2013, 09:03:47 am »

@Lawas: Well, you'll probably want Elven and Draconic to be sure-both are sure to be used in a jungle-y campaign like ours.

Sylvan too if you want to try and seduce the maneating jungle nymphs. :P
Tho they can make your heart explode with their hotness if they don't like you. Or like you too much. It's vague.

Since we have no idea of the inhabitants of the land-and their languages are likely strange variations of ours-it's truly random what will be useful.
Ah, what the hell. Who needs Melodic Spellcasting anyway? Master Linguist, ho!

Edit: Funnily enough, despite my backstory being all "unda dah sea!" Vray would be quite rapidly reduced to a pancake at any large depth, since she's not actually immune to pressure. Oh boy. It's like the extreme end of backstory/gameplay segregation: forget not being able to kill a bear barehanded or the like, she literally can't even survive where she grew up.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:09:00 am by Harbingerjm »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:41 am »

Normally, I'd advise against Master Linguist, but in our campaign it's going to be awesome-assuming our 'level ups will represent time spent between and during adventurers learning stuff, it could be used to learn the local lingo. Which people will pay you for translating.

You can even write a common to tribal dictionary and make millions! Eventually!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2013, 09:48:55 am »

Bards are less 'raar fireballs' and 'look what I can do!' when it comes to magic. But compare the spells they get to Rangers and Paladins-they get quite a bit for a class that doesn't need to entirely rely on magic.

Feather Fall and Expeditious retreat are things you are very glad to have at times.
Also Mystic Theurge?

Synergy
If you have 5 or more ranks in Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), or Sense Motive, you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks.

It's an untyped bonus. It stacks.

Normally, I'd advise against Master Linguist, but in our campaign it's going to be awesome-assuming our 'level ups will represent time spent between and during adventurers learning stuff, it could be used to learn the local lingo. Which people will pay you for translating.

You can even write a common to tribal dictionary and make millions! Eventually!
I wouldn't say it would take in more than thousands until more people were interacting with the locals (e.g, integrated cities or something). However, being able to talk to them would be worth millions, because you wouldn't be killed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2013, 09:53:31 am »

I'm tempted to make my character more melee focused so I can get this prestige class later on but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2013, 09:56:32 am »

Synergy

Oh sweet. I can do quite hard diplomacy then at +13. Oh and I miscalculated and need to add 8 more skill points. Ooh.

edit: yes, do more meleeing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:59:22 am by lawastooshort »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2013, 10:00:18 am »

Synergy

Oh sweet. I can do quite hard diplomacy then at +13. Oh and I miscalculated and need to add 8 more skill points. Ooh.
Yup.
Diplomancers are the best -mancers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2013, 10:04:23 am »

That's from tome of battle Kansa-it's literally a WHOLE other thing.

I can't really suggest it without lots of more explaining-stances and maneuvers and the whole shebangs. It's an entire book on it's own lol

What you're thinking of is a 'gish' build, which is highly specialized but completely doable. It's pretty complicated, though!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2013, 10:10:00 am »

Also Mystic Theurge?
Not sure yet, we'll see. I have a few possibilities in mind.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2013, 10:12:26 am »

Ah ok well I better see if Grek allows it first before doing anything then, a 'gish' build does sound pretty fun though now that I've looked it up so I might try a more melee focused mage even if he does reject it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:21 am »

@Kansa: One of my fav chars was a battle sorcerer-she traded a few total spells/spell levels for martial proficiency with a weapon, and the ability to cast in light armor like a bard.

You might be able to convince Grek to allow your wujen a similar class substitution.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Sorcerer_Variant:_Battle_Sorcerer

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »

I've got a problem, since now I have to rethink all my feats. I was hoping for Divine Metamagic so I could put my Turn Undead to good use early, but now that I can't get that, I have to get other stuff instead and possibly replan my entire character around not having Divine Metamagic as well as think out what prestige classes I'm going to take (not that I had any idea of what I was doing in the first place, aside from getting Contemplative at around level 10, and possibly getting some Divine Oracle levels in too).

I'm keeping Extend Spell, but I have no idea for the other two feats. Extra turning I am going to get sooner or later anyway, but would it be of use NOW or should I take something else?

Question for the GM: For Radiant Servant of Pelor, do I really need to have Pelor as my god or not in order to be able to take levels in it? Same thing for being Neutral Good as a requirement. Infact, speaking of gods, do I even have to serve a god at all to be able to take levels in Radiant Servant?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:01:15 pm by Zako »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 24, 2013, 12:32:07 pm »

@Kansa: One of my fav chars was a battle sorcerer-she traded a few total spells/spell levels for martial proficiency with a weapon, and the ability to cast in light armor like a bard.

You might be able to convince Grek to allow your wujen a similar class substitution.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Sorcerer_Variant:_Battle_Sorcerer

That sounds pretty cool but if I'm not able to do that I'll probably just put a couple of levels into Hexblade or some other fighter class
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58