Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84794 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2013, 12:06:51 am »

Assuming you explain what those ideals are in your character background, yes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2013, 12:47:59 am »

I didn't get time to finish my skill list or any background / equipment yesterday - I'm still interested and wlltry to complete my sheet today.

I have more than 40 skill points to distribute, anyone have any ideas what would be useful?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2013, 12:53:55 am »

Presenting our advanced char list!

Dwarmin/  Eli the Semi-Elemental sort of Ranger
Nerjin/ Holdron the Oldbarian
Remuthra/ Orgarr Snowcrusher the Muling
Lawas/ Stefaen Arbury, the Bard who needs no instrument
Gilgamesh/ Ashii-Karn the Ice Cold Witch
Maniac/ Maru the Catling Wizard
Kansa/Ashura the hands of Zapping
Tealninja/Kalnaf, The Amazing Singing Kobold (Yark yark!)
Zako/Rohan Swiftwaters, the Cleric of Himself

@Lawas: You can be our PARTY FACE. :D

Pop it into diplomacy, bluff, sense motive etc etc. All the CHA skills. You'll need perform if you want to be a useful bard anywho.

Or, knowledge skills. Those are always useful...especially if our GM gets tricky and tosses custom monsters at us.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2013, 12:58:42 am »

I didn't get time to finish my skill list or any background / equipment yesterday - I'm still interested and wlltry to complete my sheet today.

I have more than 40 skill points to distribute, anyone have any ideas what would be useful?

You have 9 x 6 = 54 skill points in total to distribute.  One thing you can do is just kind of pick 9 skills you like and max them.  If you want to break it up a bit more... what's your character's purpose in life?

In general, you should probably have Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, Listen, and Perform maxed as a Bard.  I have a Diplomancy score of 9 already, and it'll be increasing next level, so you don't need to max Diplomancy (although having a backup Diplomat isn't a bad idea in general.)  Disguise can be very useful, assuming you remember to use it.  Bluff, Tumble, Hide, and Move Silently are good skills to use as a backup.  Gather Information, Escape Artist, Balance are all useful, but not priorities; well, you should have a couple ranks into Balance, but in general the skill is unlikely to be necessary most of the time (unless we find ourselves fighting from the canoes.  Which I suppose is entirely possible, but we'd probably want to beach the canoes in the first round of combat anyway.)

Knowledge skills are useful for the party overall, and you don't have to worry about overlapping Knowledge skills (since they fire independently and only once, as opposed to Diplomancy which each Diplomancy attempt after the first towards a target is progressively harder.)  If you want to add a bit more character to your... character, you can add Craft and Profession skills.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2013, 01:19:48 am »

TN gives good advice.

Also, in a campaign called river of death, did anyone else put ranks into swimming like me? :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:34 am »

I was probably going to put 6 in swim. Don't I get 60 total?

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:39 am »

I was probably going to put 6 in swim. Don't I get 60 total?
Uhm; sorry, yes, I forgot to check your race.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2013, 01:36:06 am »

Excellent, also thank you for the very helpful advice.

Edit: any particular feats? I took weapon finesse and I can't remember the other two (on my phone at moment)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:39:42 am by lawastooshort »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2013, 02:03:29 am »

I found a decent enough god for the domains I can get from it, but I'm kinda stuck wondering if I should get Spontaneous Domain or not. And if so, what domain should I choose? Travel has all these neat teleporting spells and fly, but Time has haste, freedom of movement and time stop...

Or should I forget taking Spontaneous Domain and keep the ability to do spontaneous healing and harming spells?

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2013, 02:24:45 am »

I found a decent enough god for the domains I can get from it, but I'm kinda stuck wondering if I should get Spontaneous Domain or not. And if so, what domain should I choose? Travel has all these neat teleporting spells and fly, but Time has haste, freedom of movement and time stop...

Or should I forget taking Spontaneous Domain and keep the ability to do spontaneous healing and harming spells?
You never get both spontaneous healing and spontaneous harming spells.  If you're neutral, you have to choose Positive or Negative energy, and that ties into whether you Turn or Rebuke as well as if you can spontaneously cast Healing or Harming spells.

Edit: Checking your sheet, you're a Good cleric, which means you Turn Undead and can spontaneously cast Healing spells.  You can't change that without changing your alignment.

(You can still prepare Inflict spells though.  You can even convert them into Healing spells spontaneously.)

Excellent, also thank you for the very helpful advice.

Edit: any particular feats? I took weapon finesse and I can't remember the other two (on my phone at moment)
Never Dodge.  I mean, there are certain circumstances where Dodge can be useful, but you have to declare your Dodge target, it's only +1 AC (so only one extra side of the die to dodge with), and it doesn't even apply all the time.  Unless you require Dodge as a prerequisite for a class (or you really want Spring Attack), don't bother with the feat.

Other than that, I don't know really.  You could probably grab Craft Wondrous Item to enable making items later, or maybe a metamagic (don't take Silent Spell, as it cannot apply to bard spells.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:27:21 am by TealNinja »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2013, 02:27:39 am »

Weapon Finesse is fairly useful if you plan to fight with the rapier frequently. Combat Expertise and Dodge aren't so good: they mainly exist as prerequisites for more interesting abilities. If you want go go the combat expertise/swashbucklery route, you should trade out Dodge for Improved Trip, Improved Disarm or Improved Fient in rough order of usefulness a bard.

If you prefer the bow, Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot will make you a much better archer.

Another reasonable option is Skill Focus: Perform (whatever your style is) which gives you +3 on every Performance check you make, including the ones for your Fascinate and Countersong bardic music abilities. Take Improved Initiative with it, and you may be able to soothe the savage beast before it even tries to eat anyone.

Finally, you could take Lyric Spell (which lets you trade uses of Bardic Music for spells), Spell Focus (enchantment or illusion) and then either Enchanting Song or Misleading Song (they give you bardic music that improves enchantments/illusions repectively) as appropriate to make yourself a good enchanter or illusionist.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2013, 02:34:06 am »

TN gives good advice.

Also, in a campaign called river of death, did anyone else put ranks into swimming like me? :P

Holdron is a master of swimming... Sorta. I took 3 ranks in it.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2013, 02:45:50 am »

@Nerjin: Even a few points might come in handy. Hitting DC 5 or 10 will mean you can at least tread the rough water without drowning-tho note, your armor gives a check penalty to swimming, so...might wanna make sure you don't wear your platemail when we're boating :P

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2013, 03:49:19 am »

Thanks for the advice again.

I want to take weapon finesse partly to fit in with the character idea in my head, but I don’t think he should be in melee so much he takes two of the swashbucklery feats Grek mentions.

I think taking the two missile feats would make him more useful in combat for the group.

I hadn’t thought about the last two options Grek put, as I don’t really know enough about barding or magicking, having not really used them ever.

So I think I probably have three choices:

Swashbucklery: weapon finesse, combat expertise and improved trip.

General fighty: weapon finesse, Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot.

Enchanty: weapon finesse, skill focus: perform, improved initiative.

Or a fourth choice of lyric spell etc, but I don’t know about that.

I think I will distribute my skill points in several knowledges, a bit of speaky stuff, and some sneaky stuff. However, I have to go to a meeting now so will look at this later.

Anyway, I don’t have a preference for either of the three choices at the moment (maybe swashbucklery but I'm not sure if it would be most useful), what would fit best with the group?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2013, 03:50:51 am »

If you want a low-quality avatar I did my interpretation of your character. You didn't say hair colour so I had to guess. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like it, it looks good thank you. She was meant to have black hair though rather than brown hair
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 58