Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

You discover a young boy lost in the darker side of town. He's hungry and frightened, but also appears to be in possession of stolen property. What do you do?

Give the boy a hug and tell him everything will be OK
- 0 (0%)
Confiscate the property by force, and leave him there as punishment
- 0 (0%)
Pick the boy's pocket to take the stolen property for yourself, and leave the boy to his fate
- 0 (0%)
Lead the boy to safety, then turn him over to the authorities
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 31, 2013, 11:14:32 pm

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]

Author Topic: Medieval Fodder: Symphony of Darkness [The Tyrants Overthrown!] [Game Over]  (Read 24858 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval Fodder: Symphony of Darkness [Simple Medieval RTD] [A is losing!]
« Reply #420 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:58 am »

I suggest rolling until something changes, then posting, and tossing in a reference to the number of rounds it took.
+1, I think this would be best.
+1

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval Fodder: Symphony of Darkness [The Tyrants Overthrown!]
« Reply #421 on: December 30, 2013, 08:21:16 am »

The battle raged for only four more minutes. Hundreds of common soldiers had died and legends met their end in the battle but it was finally at its finale.

“Hansen old friend?” Brewmaster stated as he watched the three heroes approach them from a distance.

“Yes, Brewmaster?” Hansen asked trying his best to hide his fear with bravado. He knew he was not the best of fighters but he was loyal in the end. He would not quit the battle-field.

“I think it’s time for us to face facts. We’ve lost. We’re both injured and they’re as fresh as a field of flowers.”

“You’re not suggesting-“

“Of course I am!” Brewmaster shouted turning towards his one remaining ally “We’re outnumbered and outmatched. Perhaps if we cease our resistance they will be lenient towards the citizens.”

“You just want to survive!”

“Obviously. But if we keep feeding their blood-lust they’ll surely kill all the Araisen’s within the city. Perhaps… Perhaps if we assist in their destruction of the nobles they will allow the city-proper to survive?”

Sir Hansen sighed before tossing down his weapons “I am loyal to the citizens above all else. We shall try your way.”

When the three remaining Breston heroes approached the duo they found them crouched with their weapons tossed aside.

“Stand tyrants!” Alex Shate shouted “Face your final doom!”

“Nay, we’ll stay right here.” Brewmaster replied “We have an offer as it is.”

“Oh? And what’s that?” Cromwell asked curiously.

“We’ll assist you in killing the nobles responsible for the subjugation of the city. I am a knight. I know many secret entry-ways into their castle.” Sir Hansen responded.

“In exchange you will leave the citizens alone. They had no choice in the matter.”

It took the heroes only several seconds to make their decision.

Noble Cain sighed as he saw his own forces retreat the field “It looks, my friend, that we’ll not survive the day.”

“The castle is on lockdown my friend,” replied Noble Rite “We’re as safe as can be. We have enough supplies to protect ourselves for many months until our allied arrive.”

“But what of the citizens?”

“What about them? They can survive as they’d like. We don’t need them. We’ve conquered many cities. We’ll simply raise a newer stronger Araisen!” Rite replied.

“I think not tyrants! You’ll be raising no more armies!” A voice rang from behind the two on their balcony.

“What? How did you get in here Brestonian?”

“My beauty is too much for any door to resist.” The Handsome Stranger stated with a smile.

“Bah! You’ll have not the satis-“ Noble Cain’s worried expression turned to a smile “Satisfaction of my death today I’m afraid.”

“Three men armed for war against two unarmed old men? I think we can manage.” Cromwell Jackson said as the three approached the old men.

“Oh? I count four! Now Brewmaster! Hansen!” Cain called to his soldiers standing behind the Brestonian invaders.

“Sorry, too drunk to hear anything.” Brewmaster stated while taking a drink from one of his many flasks. At this Sir Hansen simply shrugged.

“What!? You idiots! Help us!” Rite shouted as he was grabbed by The Handsome Stranger.

“You will stand trial for your crimes.” The Handsome Stranger said as he dragged the man away from the balcony.

“Release me!” Noble Cain shouted as he struggled against the grip of both Alex Shater and Cromwell Jackson tried to hold him. For a man of his age he was putting up quite the fight.

“Stop struggling!” Cromwell shouted as he punched Cain in the gut. But even this did not stop the man.

“I tire of this! Die tyrant!” With a single shove Noble Cain was sent plummeting several hundred feet to his death on the hard stones below.
“Wh- Cain!”

“That will be you if you do not surrender. Simply stand your trial and you shall be treated fairly. Even though you’re a tyrant.”

Thankfully the death of Noble Cain was the last of the wars fatalities. Soon after the city-state of Ariasen became a second-rate city. Though it was still a powerful force of trade it never again became a military power house. Meanwhile the city of Breston became the leading power in the continent. Eventually they merged all of the city-states into a powerful empire named after the city-state that started it all. Breston exists to this very day as a major player in all conflicts. Eternally fighting against aspiring tyrants.

Spoiler: Heroes’ Legacy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Team A has lost! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Team B is victorious! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Graveyard 20/15 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Rolls and Actions (click to show/hide)

Well that’s that. Took four re-rolls for anything to happen. Good game guys! I’ll start working on the next edition. While you’re waiting why not check out Haspen’s new fodder? It’s got the sci-fi thing going apparently.

Just in case it wasn’t obvious Cain was Brewmaster’s noble while Rite was Sir Hansen’s. I found the idea of them surrendering more likely than them fighting to the death [considering the 2v1 rule I stated earlier]. Why those names? C is after B and R is before S.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval Fodder: Symphony of Darkness [The Tyrants Overthrown!] [Game Over]
« Reply #422 on: December 30, 2013, 08:44:49 am »

That was awesome.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 30, 2013, 09:00:32 am »

That was awesome.
I concur. Good game, everyone.

Impressions:
This game had significantly fewer balance issues than Medieval Fodder 2, but it lost a lot of diversity when the Defend action got ditched, so there was little opportunity for players to win against overwhelming force with ingenuity rather than luck. Team B's victory was due to us being an overwhelming force, by the way, not just luck; we've been softening up Team A for three turns before endgame, and it showed.

If you need a second opinion on your system for the next game, Nerjin, I'm available; I'll crunch the numbers, see if there are any balance issues and if the players' options are diverse enough to allow for surprising turns of events. Balance issues are especially important for things like classes and weapons, because, as you can see here, lack of balance has led to the prevalence of Warriors, Barbarians, Cavemen and Commanders. That's five classes out of nine completely unused in the midgame and endgame, including some that were pretty good but not as overpowered as the other ones.

I'm pretty sure I won't participate in any other Fodder games any time soon, since I got elevated to godhood and all that. Though maybe if someone would make a Celestial Fodder game...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:03:01 am by HmH »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 30, 2013, 11:38:32 am »

When I first joined this, I took the ability that gave me extra health, and I never lost a single point of it.

I am quite pleased with this, this was an excellent game.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 30, 2013, 01:09:02 pm »

Impressions:
This game had significantly fewer balance issues than Medieval Fodder 2, but it lost a lot of diversity when the Defend action got ditched, so there was little opportunity for players to win against overwhelming force with ingenuity rather than luck. Team B's victory was due to us being an overwhelming force, by the way, not just luck; we've been softening up Team A for three turns before endgame, and it showed.

I plan to add the "Defend other players" option but I'm not sure how yet.

If you need a second opinion on your system for the next game, Nerjin, I'm available; I'll crunch the numbers, see if there are any balance issues and if the players' options are diverse enough to allow for surprising turns of events. Balance issues are especially important for things like classes and weapons, because, as you can see here, lack of balance has led to the prevalence of Warriors, Barbarians, Cavemen and Commanders. That's five classes out of nine completely unused in the midgame and endgame, including some that were pretty good but not as overpowered as the other ones.

Yeah I did notice that and I'll happily send you a copy of the rules when I get them done. I'm already working on typing up a bit of "Nerjin Edition: 2" So if you're willing I'll send that when I get the chance.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 30, 2013, 01:18:26 pm »

That ending was pretty good, in my opinion.
For defending other players, you could propably first roll to see if they suceed in taking the hit for the player they're defending, then roll to see if they take damage from the attack. You would propably receive penalties if the player you're defending was attacking another enemy. That's my idea for how it would work, at least.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 30, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »

I knew Team B would win! :P
[/biasedcheering]

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 30, 2013, 03:33:23 pm »

Good game. Good job on the epilogue, and the final scene. Congrats to all from side B, and well fought to side A.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:05 am »

I plan to add the "Defend other players" option but I'm not sure how yet.
The first person attacking the target ends up attacking the defender instead, like in Haspen's games. Counterattacks are not subject to defending. No need to bother with conditional bonuses and maluses, you'll probably forget to apply them anyway :P

However, 'Defend' is not the only action that needs to be added. For example, some mechanic like 'Flanking', making attackers more likely to hit the target if they attack en masse, would speed up the game's pace in a way that gives the underdogs a bigger advantage than it does for the dominant force on the field: underdogs generally need to eliminate one target extremely fast, whereas the dominant force would rather focus on minimizing the damage done to their own side.

Actions whose usefulness does not depend on one's damage dealing potential would be necessary as well: as we can see in this game, Axes and Lukes pretty much dominated the battlefield since their spawning until their death, whereas weak damage dealers like Ozarck and Brewmaster had practically no offensive potential. There is a variety of things I can suggest on that matter, but I'll need to see the system before I can determine which ones would be useful and which would be junk.

All in all, this is the sort of discussion we'll need to have after we both have the new rules to look at. I can suggest the actions in their bare-bones form, but I can't flesh out and balance them without the system to work with.

Yeah I did notice that and I'll happily send you a copy of the rules when I get them done. I'm already working on typing up a bit of "Nerjin Edition: 2" So if you're willing I'll send that when I get the chance.
I'm willing.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 01, 2014, 08:21:48 am »

*Slow clap* excellent game.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]