New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 42186 times)

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 07:25:31 pm »

Free-man was called Karl and Hus Karl would be a a freeman of the house, in English.
On the second point, which I may be wrong about, but wasn't Ting a local governance mostly based in Iceland, mostly unlike the governance of Norway?
Thane is actually a Scottish title, which may be confused as a norse title if one thinks of Skyrim, Skyrim is mostly based on Icelandic governance and culture too, so many of the rest of the structural elements were quite off in the rest of Norway.
Most of these answers are not to Grim Portent but the first one definitely is.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 07:41:54 pm »

Ah, thank you very much, I couldn't find a term for norse peasantry when I was looking up titles. They were usually just referred to as free-men so I decided it would make a nice placeholder for the time being.

EDIT: Well I've got the language up to T. Taking a break to preserve my sanity since I haven't even reached the disordered parts of the language file yet and that's where things will get really dull.

Here's what I have so far

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did some tweaking of Karkov's norseman creature RAWs. Put in a berserker caste with a 75% to rage and no pain (raging negates fear), fixed a typo (broadness 855!) and did some tweaking of skin and hair colours.

Norseman RAWs as they currently stand:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:28:25 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2013, 01:12:56 pm »

Oh jeez, broadness 855?  I know I fiddled with it, but not that much.  Though those extremely broad Norsemen would've been able to take care of some FB's simply by punching them.  That would've been awesome.  Everything looks good so far. 

I was thinking of adding star metal, nearly the same properties of adamantine, but more dense than silver and slightly less... impregnable (even though no vanilla creatures have anything stronger than iron and can't even penetrate steel, except with arrows).  If I did make this though, I'd try to make a new smelter/forge for it as well, to work exclusively with the stuff.  Everything about it would be really expensive; fuel, multiple pieces of coal, possibly flux...  It'd be expensive because it's just a short tier away from adamantine which is ridiculously dangerous to mine out.

Tell me if it's something you're interested in, super-heavy, super strong armor that's dumb expensive but slightly safer to get than adamantine.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2013, 01:46:19 pm »

I'm fairly sure that 855 was accidental as it was 855:95 before the other numbers.

I'm up for star metal as a thing. Ideally it should be found in the upper z-levels in small clusters. Though my plans for armour have the Norsemen being fairly sparsely protected under normal circumstances.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2013, 02:04:05 pm »

We can always add in a chain, or steal the lamellar armor from the other mo- OH, the 855! I was meaning to make the Norsemen always really large, and runts were to still be slightly big, so I changed the minimum height/broadness to 85 instead of 75 (Since it goes from like, 75 straight to 95).  Guess I accidentally put another 5 in there when I messed with it.  Though that would've been hilarious:  "He is extremely thin," and then he smashes a boulder by walking near it.

Mainly the star metal would've been used weapons, mainly for hammers (so maybe a crow's beak or something, we'll think of something).  Shields wouldn't really benefit from it seeing as how they don't benefit from their material.  Hm... Got me thinking on how the armor's gonna work out, not being plate or anything.

EDIT: So for the initial rough-draft of the stuff, it's going to have a huge specific heat and boiling point, because it withstood entry into the Earth's atmosphere and I can't be arsed to go check out if that's hotter than magma or not, and I'm taking it on faith that if a hunk of metal shot across the galaxy, flew through the atmosphere as a super-heated chunk of rock, and slammed into the ground without being destroyed, it's got some pretty fantastic shear/specific heat/huge boiling point.  I'm just debating whether or not to make it resistant to dragons breath at this point.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:11:54 pm by Karkov »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »

Initial rough-draft of the Star Metal:

Edit to your heart's content, needs a color (my vote is either on deep red, as opposed to adamantine's aqua, or white) and for you to debate on if it needs to be able to withstand dragons fire or not.  Also need to figure out how to put it in clusters in the upper-layers. 

EDIT: Changed it from 0:0:0 to 0:8:0 as per Putnam's suggestion.  I really have no idea about how the colors work, so he'd have a better idea than me (The wiki is reeeeeaaally bad at explaining the colors).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:56:32 pm by Karkov »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2013, 02:40:28 pm »

I think it would be appropriate to make it a really dark colour, dark grey or black maybe.

I suppuse I'd best decide what we need to get done as part of this.

To do list:

Weapons: Check
Armour: Not Done
Creature file: Check
Language: In progress
Entity file: In progress
Unique Reactions: In progress

Anything I've missed?
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2013, 02:47:29 pm »

Black would be a fantastic color, metal scorched so badly that the soot will never come off, or it just being black metal.

Workshops I suppose can go under Unique Reactions.

I suppose a nemesis for us (Jotun or otherwise)?  I can't think of anything decidedly different from the list you have.  Maybe expand upon weapons a tad, otherwise I think we're almost there. 

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2013, 03:13:53 pm »

Thing is all my research indicates that the norse had a very small number of actual weapon types, which we've accounted for. Beyond the custom ones we've made the only weapon I can find mention of is bows. Though I suppose we could use Mjolnir as an indicator that they considered warhammers a weapon.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2013, 03:21:25 pm »

Warhammers, possibly throwing axes, they weren't very diverse but they were extremely brutal.  Maybe a sort of one handed axe?  We have the Dane Axe but that was supposed to be more of a two handed beast anyways.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 03:30:05 pm »

A hand axe would be good. Warhammers I guess we kind of need just so we have a blunt option. Berserkers with axes/swords may wind up as a blender against goblins but I expect that necromancers would soon drag them down through sheer weight of hands and heads.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 05:18:48 pm »

For other races for us, you could make a smaller human race, which are Anglo-Saxons. Or go for the mythical possibility and add dwarves, elves/dark elves, three types of Jotun, lokis army of the dead, Norns (debatable)...

I'd also add that make the climate a little closer and more forested. Scandinavia is rather difficult to work with...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2013, 05:25:17 pm »

For other races for us, you could make a smaller human race, which are Anglo-Saxons. Or go for the mythical possibility and add dwarves, elves/dark elves, three types of Jotun, lokis army of the dead, Norns (debatable)...

I'd also add that make the climate a little closer and more forested. Scandinavia is rather difficult to work with...

That'd be something you'd have to designate during world creation, there's not much we can do with raws I don't think.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2013, 06:01:45 pm »

Norns weren't really a race.

Anglo-Saxons might be interesting opponents.

Elves (Alfs technically) were kidnapping creatures associated with light from Alfheim. Could be fun.

Dwarves/Dark Elves (svartalfar, sometimes called dokkalfr) came from Svartalfaheimr, the land below Midgard. Could also be fun. (Reference material for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6kk%C3%A1lfar_and_Lj%C3%B3s%C3%A1lfar Not the best source I know, but it's easy to navigate and has references at the bottom.)

Lokis army of the dead would be hard, it might be easier to replace necromancers and zombies with Draugr.

Jotun might be doable. The size of them could vary wildly though and their physical appearance was highly unpredictable. Fenrir, Hel and Jormungand were Jotun after all.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2013, 06:04:21 pm »

Black would be a fantastic color, metal scorched so badly that the soot will never come off, or it just being black metal.

Yeah, but 0:0:0 means that all tiles for it will be completely invisible. Go for 0:8:0 or something instead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16