Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kobolds are Fragile  (Read 2878 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds are Fragile
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:27:45 pm »

Why are Kobolds so fragile? I just killed one by throwing one handful of sand at it.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds are Fragile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:46:13 pm »

Because kobolds are tiny, one-third (1/3) the size of dwarves, elves, and goblins.

Dwarves are size 60,000 while kobolds are 20,000. Humans are even larger than dwarves at 70,000.

Real easy to punt something when it's only at knee level. They can still get the drop on you if you aren't careful.

Though throwing can be odd; the sand may have been a freak occurrence. It happens more often than you may think. Plus skulls are still very weak at the moment.

Gallahan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »

Ah jeez, I didn't realize kobolds are that small.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:48:49 pm »

It just makes things like Deebus or the kobold party that helped TPK Murdermachines all the more awesome.

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:25:52 pm »

well that would be explaining why Kobolds go flying when my human vampire adventure punts them.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 11:32:59 pm »

I increase the size of kobolds (and gnomes!) by 50% in my games, since I don't imagine them being THAT small, and I like to have kobold (and gnome!) adventurers as well as ambushes in my forts.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:50:36 am »

That's why playing as a Kobold adventurer is FUN in so many ways.

To survive, you have to train your stats as quickly & as safely as possible not to mention being more super extra careful & be smart efficient in battles, more so than other races (never tackle enemies since most are bigger than you, aiming for weakspots, utilizing surprise and/or range attacks while hiding, etc.). Maxing out your stats just ups your survivability by a few percentage, since once tackled to the ground and/or held/locked will pretty much mean your doom.

Supah Hardmode playing goes up to eleven against unfeeling cannot-be-killed-by-bloodloss hordes of enemies & megabeasts.

So the question is: Are you badass enough to survive playing as a Kobold and conquer your world?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:20 am »

That's why playing as a Kobold adventurer is FUN in so many ways.

To survive, you have to train your stats as quickly & as safely as possible not to mention being more super extra careful & be smart efficient in battles, more so than other races (never tackle enemies since most are bigger than you, aiming for weakspots, utilizing surprise and/or range attacks while hiding, etc.). Maxing out your stats just ups your survivability by a few percentage, since once tackled to the ground and/or held/locked will pretty much mean your doom.

Supah Hardmode playing goes up to eleven against unfeeling cannot-be-killed-by-bloodloss hordes of enemies & megabeasts.

So the question is: Are you badass enough to survive playing as a Kobold and conquer your world?

I believe in your case it's: Are you badass enough to to survive as a kobold playing a lute while wearing a stylish hat and conquer the local tavern audience?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:24:02 pm »

Because kobolds are tiny, one-third (1/3) the size of dwarves, elves, and goblins.

I think the so-called size represents the volume of body, not the height. 1/3 volume means about 1/3^(1/3) height so it's closer to truth when you say they are about 7/10 the height of the dwarf.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:53:57 pm »

On throwing:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56935.0
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 12:46:42 am »

They are literally the size of a human child, so yeah...

I can say from experience, though, that with caution they can be as great as any other race.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:VULPINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »

well, those damn two legged mofos nice brownish two legged midgets little people have weak bones- you can't beat the holy hell out of them for robbing your fortress blind have them carry stuff or let them endure pain forever.
I WILL BITE YOUR HEAD OFF!!!

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 02:17:03 pm »

Throwing, as of the current version, is incredibly overpowered. I've been able to mortally wound or kill fully armored humans with shale rocks.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 02:35:26 pm »

To quote myself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vanilla kobolds are small enough that human adventurer have been able to fit entire specimens inside their mouths.
 Why anyone would ever want an unwashed kobold in their mouth, I cannot even begin to imagine.
By and large they're the smallest 'intelligent' race out there, and they still take it upon themselves to steal from and otherwise piss off all the tall folk. Makes you wonder how much guts it takes for them to form raiding parties.
Maybe kobolds just enjoy a challenge. Maybe they're secretly the bravest race in the multiverse.
Maybe they're even stupider than the average dwarf and batshit insane to boot.

The Tall Menace has settled near your cave and are producing mountains of shinies! Are you a bad enough dude to sneak in and steal everything that isn't nailed down?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 10:34:38 pm »

They aren't actually small enough to fit in your mouth, they're the size of human children.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: [1] 2