Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

King Melbil has arrived with his queen consort. There are also many relatives of the king currently living in the fortress. What should we do?

Kill the king, but leave queen consort and relatives be.
- 0 (0%)
Murder the king and his wife, leave other members of their family alive.
- 0 (0%)
Kill'em all!
- 0 (0%)
Other variant (in comments)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44

Author Topic: Dorfday: The Heist - The Finale  (Read 70827 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - Rich dwarves wearing tatters (Players are welcome!)
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2014, 09:56:00 am »

Thats... Good then...

Well, lets get a blue hat on everyone then.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 03, 2014, 02:00:44 pm »

I was giving people mostly wooden shields since they are lighter, and rarely being used for bashing at the current skill levels.

Once the named dwarves and Daria's squad get helms, maybe give one to Obok and any other named fighter too.
Side note: Keeping the raw and processed stuff in the vault should let us protect it from being wasted on strange moods.

When the hollow spot is located, would dropping a plug via cave-in be easier than obsidian casting the inside?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 03, 2014, 03:18:06 pm »

It might be, but pouring magma down the throat of hell seems like more fun.  And more potential for future overseers to mess up.  I have so many levers in the basement!

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 03, 2014, 06:56:56 pm »

I thought about doing a basement lever room for the FB trap, but the distance would be a problem for activation quickly.
Which leads to one more question: will giving everyone their own dining room next to the bedroom mean less people hanging out and eating in the main dining hall?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 03, 2014, 10:48:35 pm »

5th Hematite

Apparently a child, Fikod Sanadendok, was caught outside the walls, and was slain, as was Unib Akrullulab.  Their souls may be gone, but we shall place theirs bodies in the catacombs, with our other dead.

It seems our vampire mayor forgot one of his demands.  Perhaps he is slowly going mad within his little cell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10th Malachite

One of our miners accidentally collapsed a section of rock into the magma sea.  He was burnt to death by the mist of lava that sprayed over him.  Armok forgive me, but I have ordered his corpse to be left until we can quench the flames, of his body stops burning.

21st Malachite

It appears a yak went berserk, trapped by the closed bridge beneath the trade depot.  I ordered the militia to go put the beast down to prevent any unfortunate accidents.

27th Malachite

No migrants came to our fortress this summer.  This may well be for the best, as we already have 212 souls living within our walls.

1st Galena

We have had another setback in the deep mines. A careless stroke of the pick let magma flood into the lower room, and will require recasting of the entire level.  Perhaps we are digging too deep?

15th Galena

Our scouts have told me the humans are coming in to trade.  I suppose it will be good to get rid of all the trash in our fortress.  We have so many rotten bits of clothing and rags, I can scarcely find a place for them all.  Luckily our clothiers have been producing many fine goods, and our dwarves are no longer disgruntled.  Two of our miners threatened to quit digging, and I had to send them back up to get fresh clothing, lest a tantrum cause even more problems in the lava works.

17th Galena

Goblins have followed the humans to our fortress.  I suppose this would have shocked in my previous term as overseer, but after all the foes we have repelled, I find myself less concerned by the filthy greenskins outside our doors.   I am proud to say all our marksmen have ammunition today, so it should be a nice break from their normal doldrums.

27th Galena

As I predicted, our marksmen made short work of the goblins, with both Maskwolf and Grim raining bolts down upon the beasts.  Some 15 are dead now, as the siege breaks, and more lay dying.  I will send the melee squads out to clean up the wounded and stragglers.

Our trading went well.  We unloaded a portion of our dirty rags for almost everything the humans had, and we will still have goods left for the dwarven caravan in the fall.

We have casted another layer of the adamantine spire, and we shall begin excavating shortly.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2014, 09:59:17 pm »

OK, another question:  Is HFS breaching something we want?  Because I am dangerously close to getting there.  I can take it or leave it, to be honest, and I'm not sure it fits with the theme of the story so far.

Update through the beginning of winter tonight or tomorrow.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 05, 2014, 02:47:13 am »

I think we should leave it like that for a while. Although grand candyshop heist fits the theme perfectly well, we might end up with most of the main characters dead. But, if you are sure that you can handle that, go for it.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:13 am »

I'll mine out the last safe layer, and then leave it.  I like the goal of getting the King here first.  Once we do that, the madness of breaching can maybe be a fun conclusion to the fort.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 05, 2014, 03:27:37 pm »

26th Limestone

The third layer of obsidian is cast.  I have not seen any sign of the Dwarven caravan yet.  I hope they arrive this fall.

6th Sandstone

Another miner fell into magma, and he is trapped below our ability to save him.  I have told them to be careful, but I fear my haste to harvest the adamantine may be clouding my judgement.

8th Sandstone

The mining continues to cause problems, as one of our miners collapsed another section of rock, and fell into the magma along with a bit of leftover water, casting himself into the fresh obsidian.
15th Sandstone

Our strand extractors and smiths have so far created 80 odd wafers of the precious metal.  I have sent orders for helms to be made of the stuff, and then we shall see what else can be made from the rest.

More unfortunate news has been delivered.  While I thought only one miner had fallen in the most recent accident, it seems some four other dwarves are missing, FireCrazy among them.  I have no idea what happened to her, as I do not believe she had even been in part of the mining operation.  I will consign their names to memorials, in hopes that Armok takes mercy on their souls despite my mistakes.

23rd Sandstone

While we have reached the final layer of lava, the miners tell me the way is lost.  Any water we cast on the magma evaporates, and the magma refuses to yield.  I am suspicious of digging down into the material, so we are building a lava chute, in case any ill creatures come from below.  This will slow down work considerably, but it means we no longer need to worry about the arduous work of casting the magma, and the accidents that seem to plague us.

3rd Timber

Another dwarf fell, due to dehydration.  I swear this adamanite is cursed.  However, it protects us now as well.  Nuckles, Spazbot, RoughRogue, Grim, Monitor, Maskwolf and Daria all have helms and mail shirts made of the material.  I have orders in place for production of many steel items as well.  I hope to see the year out with full, proper armor for all of our dwarves in the militia.

11th Timber

The magma chute is nearing completion.  All that remains is to properly create the failsafe doors to contain any foul creatures that may be below the molten rock we have found.

16th Timber

Another fell beast, Rosmic, has come into our caverns.

18th Timber

Another siege has arrived, with still no signs of the dwarven traders.  The siege appears to number some 30 goblins with bows, a few trolls, and few armed squad leaders.  Our fortifications are complete, and we have over 3500 copper bolts for our marksmen.  I told them to climb the towers, and have at the goblins until not a one is left standing.

20th Timber

Maskwolf and Grim are glorying in the bloodshed, sending souls to Armok at a shocking pace.  Their bolts have already dispatched 15 or so of the beasts, and one squad is already fleeing.

22nd Timber

All of the leaders have fled, leaving a few trolls left to be mopped up.  I will open the gates and send out the melee squads to mop up the field, again.

1st Moonstone

A mining mistake let Cuthabe the Webs of Midnight into the fort.  Two of our squads went down to engage the beast, and Iden Tomusaban slayed the fiend!  It was a rather one-sided fight, however in the tight spaces, four of our dwarves were set ablaze by the creature’s fire, and fell, including Iden.  I have forbidden collection of the fallen for the time, as I want no more issues with the flames.

Work progresses on piercing the spire surrounded by warm stone.

17th moonstone

We have pierced down another layer.  After consulting with the Cabal, we have decided to hold off on digging deeper for now.  While striving to find what lies beneath may be our eventual fate, we must finish taking our revenge on the King and his kind before any other daring plans or plots.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:17 pm »

29th Moonstone

We have dug out all the adamantine, and are now processing it.  I have also order full sets of steel armor for our leaders in the militia, and iron for the rest.  I will make sure our dwarves are properly armed!

9th Moonstone

One of the children has gone mad, Rigoth Lelumsakzul.  She lost her mother and a sibling in the accidents, and we have been unable to console her.

10th Opal

Exploratory mining has found multiple seams of iron to carve out.  I have ordered a large force of miners to go after this iron.  We will show Armok our strength by forging more iron, and then steel.

1st Obsidian

Our patches of steel and iron armor should be complete.  I am armoring our militia appropriately.  I have also taken the liberty of rearranging our squads.  We have many stout members of the militia who have been fighting for some time concentrated in the same two squads.  I have given Nuckles, RoughRouge, Daria, Spazbot, and two other dwarves their own squads, each with four members and orders to train in pairs.  I have let Monitor stay with the archers against my better judgment, as she is our nominal Baron, and I would hate to see anything happen to her.

20th Obsidian

Monitor noted that we should probably keep up the pretense that she is an honest to goodness baron a few months back.  So amongst our other projects, I have dug out a suite for her near the rest of our treasures.  It is decked out with enough gold to make a regent green with envy, so I hope it will work.

27th Obsidian

Well, it has been quite a year, and once again I failed to protect many of the dwarves under my stewardship.  I take full responsibility for the lives lost in the magmaworks, near the remains of the adamantine spire, and the militiamen who lost their lives fighting Cuthabe.  All those deaths will haunt me.

We did achieve much this year, though.  Our militia repelled every challenge with ease, and our marksmen have nearly 4000 bolts stockpiled.  We dug out some new bedrooms, solidified our path towards drawing the monarch here, armed our militia in iron, steel and adamantine, and we dug as deep as we thought prudent into the adamantine spire beneath our fortress.  We still have 112 wafers of smelted adamantine left, and I leave those to the next dwarf who will oversee this fortress.

A few notes for the next overseer:

The corpses have largely been removed.  If you want to dispose of them quickly, dump them into the pit on the diagram below, and use the bridge to smash them into bits.

Here is another seam of hematite.  I dug out two, there is this one, and one more beneath the farms.

We’ve added a lot of statues to the dining hall and the well, and there are some more bedrooms dug.

We have also added some value to the throne room in order to try and lure the King here:

Here are the magma forges.  I could not get the dwarves to use the drop chute for the life of me, perhaps it will work better for you.

And, finally, the layers of the adamantine spire.

The first layer, with a reservoir above that was used for casting.

The second layer, with an archer’s gallery for later.

Third layer, with emergency lava chute an airlock, and an extra security door.  If thing get hairy, that ramp in the top right corner is connected to the cavern lake, and directly above the column formed by the archer’s gallery and this level is the casting reservoir.  This should be easy to re-seal if needed.

The uncastable layer, surrounded by magma we could not stop from boiling away the water.

The first layer under the strange warm rock.

The final layer we dug out.  Venturing deeper will surely lead to ruin.  Seriously.  Do not dig lower until you are ready.

And the final stats for the year:

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 06, 2014, 11:13:43 am »

Talk about rich, that is a lot of blue.  I'm guessing the vault couldn't hold it all.
I'll do a journal entry for Nuckles tonight once I look at the save a little.

Are you ready to go Maskwolf, or should we pass on to RoughRogue?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 06, 2014, 11:47:40 am »

I expanded the vault, but a lot of the blue got used in helms and mail shirts.  I think i ised about a third of it that way.  For next steps, i would think a few weapons and then maybe a few more pieces of armor.  By the way, once the current armor jobs are done, we should be able to fully outfit our troops in iron, and our named dorfs in steel.  We could go up to steel for everyone, just need more wood.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 06, 2014, 01:01:31 pm »

That adamantine works really redused our miners' population. We'll have to be more careful next time. By the way, Firecrazy is male, and he is the loverboy of Daria. I hope she woun't go tantruming about it. About Monitor Lizard - she already had good quarters, so there was no need to move here there.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44