Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

King Melbil has arrived with his queen consort. There are also many relatives of the king currently living in the fortress. What should we do?

Kill the king, but leave queen consort and relatives be.
- 0 (0%)
Murder the king and his wife, leave other members of their family alive.
- 0 (0%)
Kill'em all!
- 0 (0%)
Other variant (in comments)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Author Topic: Dorfday: The Heist - The Finale  (Read 70719 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - The arrival in Chamberdrums (Players needed!)
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 05:53:29 am »

I wonder if we could capture the humans and elves, then sell them to the dwarven caravans as pets? (Edit of raws may be required...)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 07:09:33 am »

From the personal log of Monitor Lizard, expedition leader:
The above-ground farms proved to be ineffective. We quickly ran out of food, and I ordered to cook some of the seeds we had. It didn't help to solve the problem, somebody even had to feed on vermin.

To prevent the famine, I asked Rufus to butcher a horse. There is not enough grass around here for the grazers to feed on it. Actually, not only the dwarves but yaks are are also getting hungry.

A swarm of giant wrens have just passed by. We should make some bone bolts to hunt them down.

It's autumn already.

If we are going to organise a militia and to build more traps, we should then find metals suitable for a weaponry production. Firecrazy's digging through the marble searching for minerals.

We finally managed to organise an underground farm. Now we can produce raw materials for our kitchens and breweries. It still needs some plots with plump helmets.

Our miner found some red spinels. Grim says thy're pretty valuable, about 100 dwarfbucks for the cut stone. Gonna sell those to the caravan from the Mountainhome when it comes here.

We started building a wall around the trade depot, so wagons will be able to come in from only one direction. Also, Nuckles suggested building a retracting bridge which would help us to seize the goods from elven caravans and keep our enemies outside.

When I was walking around the fortress, I stumbled across Magni, who was engraving something on the wall. When we arrived, he took up a new hobby, because it wasn't much work for a weaponsmith around.

"What is it?" - I asked him.
"It's an engraving." - He answered, barely looking at me.
"I mean, who's that dwarf you're engraving?" - I pointed at the picture.

"I found his name on a plank from the wagon. He's the one who might have been here before us." - Magni chuckled: "It's my rendition of him."
"Well, this engraving surely looks nice." - I said to him. It seems strange how our fortress is already full of pictures of those long-lost dwarves. The only thing we know about them is just their names which are scribbled on the things that belonged to them once.

Ugh, not again! Local wildlife certainly looks gross.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:14:00 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2013, 08:47:41 am »

Same name too? Odd coincidence... Maybe that's why I'm doing that engraving... I might throw up a journal or two soon
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »

I wonder if we could capture the humans and elves, then sell them to the dwarven caravans as pets? (Edit of raws may be required...)
I don't know if sentient beings like dwarves, humans, elves and goblins could be sold without modding the raws, but here's the plan: we surround the Trade Depot with cage traps, and then attack the traders. They will turn hostile and get caught.

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 06:11:56 am »

Journal of Miner Firecrazy:
ENTRY #3

I've had nothing to do but mining alot these past months, so I drew up a plan for the trade depot. I gave it to Lizard to have a look at.

NOTE: Cage traps around the trade depot, forgotten to add them in.

The plan is we get the caravan to the trade depot, seal off the entrance (Unless they're dwarves, which we will trade with) and then send our marksdwarves to shoot at them, causing them to stumble into our cage traps and be captured. If we want to, we can send the melee dwarves in from the top, but it's a useless waste of lives when we can just shoot at them. We can also starve the traders if we want to, or seize the goods, but that's no fun.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 06:32:11 am »

Journal of Grim

I overheard Firecrazy and Lizard talking about building a trade depot, it's about time, what if some traders had arrived and we couldn't buy anything from them? The miners dug up some nice gemstones. Not the most precious I've ever seen, but very nice regardless. We should be able to shore up our supplies by trading them to the caravans when they come.

Dear Armok, I've seen a copy of the plans for this 'trade depot' of theirs. They want to kill and kidnap traders! The fools! Why take things by force when we can get them so easily through discussion and negotiation? They can kill innocent people all they want but I'll be having no part of this madness.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2013, 09:01:44 am »

I'd like to claim a spot on the dwarf list.  Maskwolf is a miner/jewler who got on the wrong side of the law when he was caught stealing gemstones in order to run his illegal gem smuggling buisness.  Ever since, he has been in and out of jail multiple times, until he finally went too far and killed another miner with his pick.  His crime was witnessed by many and most called for his execution, but the king decided to send him to reinforce the outpost of former criminals.

If a miner/jeweler is too hard, just dwarf me as a gemcutter and enable mining+give pick.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:07:21 am by 4maskwolf »

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:29 am »

Journal of miner Firecrazy:
ENTRY #4

This reminds me of good old times when we were beginning the planning how to break into the royal treasury. In the end however, it failed. I finalized the trade depot plans, adding some stuff, there is probably something I missed out in the plans. Still awaiting Lizard's approval to begin mining out the area for the depot. I'm thinking of adding a flood chamber but I'll do that in the future.

This is a superiorly crafted drawing of a trade depot.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2013, 10:11:16 am »

Is there any danger of marksdwarves hitting each other if they miss a target in the trade depot?  I've always built mi kill rooms with only 1 or 2 walls with fortifications.  I've read that ballista friendly fire... Isn't, but i don't know about crossbows.

Another thought: if the ground is really bad for livestock, we could crash the first cave, seal it off and then carve out a wonderful underground pasture and/or tree farm.  My solo fort has found great success with this.  Also makes sieges even more trivial.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »

From the personal log of Monitor Lizard, expedition leader:
Another wave of migrants arrived. Now we're up to 20 dwarves. Four of them were soldiers from the penal batallion. They were sent here to "ensure our safety". Huh, I doubt they are willing to protect anybody, they actually look like common thugs to me.

At least, we now have more dwarves in our melee squad.

It started raining. I haven't seen a rain here since we arrived.

A donkey foal died of hunger. I ordered to butcher the rest of the grazers excluding one tame llama. It lacks the proper amount af grass to start a profitable cattle farm here.

Also, or head doctor fell into a strange mood and started running around, gathering the resourses.

He claimed a craftsdwarf's shop and only took one piece of caolinite with him. I wonder what he's going to do with it.

He prodused a kaolinite ring. Some dwarves might call it " a useless bauble", but I think it is truly beautiful.

Traders from Mountainhomes finally arrived! I greeted them at the gates. We can now trade some of our goods for more wood and drinks.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2013, 02:11:08 pm »

OOC note: I decided to do a third-person storyline along with the usual updates. I'll finish my turn on Wednesday.

Chapter 1
THE LEADER

- Come in, guys, we shall start in a minute! - Monitor Lisard opened the door and lead everyone to the food storage. It was also used as a meeting hall, with makeshift chairs and flat stones scattered around the large room. The dwarves sat down in circle, grumbling about cramped conditions.
- Magni, Firecrazy, Rufus, Grim, Daria, Nuckles... Alright, everyone's in. Let's begin our meeting. - Lizard waved to the miner and he pulled a huge bag from under his seat.
- What is it? A bale of dry blade weed, I assume? - Nuckles chucled and looked at his teammates.
- Alright, crew. Show us the plan, pal.- FireCrazy opened the bag and laid a strange map on the floor. It looked more like a blueprint, with walls, bridges and mechanismes marked on it.
- Our miner suggests us to build a very special system of fortifications that will enables us to kidnap some of the traders that will come to us. It will also help us to fight goblin gangs and other enemies. - Monitor Lisard pointed at the map. - Shouldn't take wery long to build those... I think we shoulf add some underground passageways with cage traps to lure goblins in, and it will be enough. What's your opinion.
Everyone was appreciating the map exept Grim. He was staring at the map blankly.
- What's the problem, friend? - Lizard looked him in the face. Grim sighed:
- I do not approve of this. We've already done a lot... - He frowned - Look, I understand, you people like the idea but... Kidnapping someone... I've never done this before, and I'm not going to do this.
- Hey, I spent much time developing this plan! - FireCrazy shouted.
- Don't scream, FireCrazy. We heard you perfectly well. - Lisard grimased.
- I like the idea, actually. If we will be able to get a ransom for them, we might buy some new weapons. - Magni scratched his jaw. - Sounds pretty good.
- I'm not sure. Isn't it too much? - Daria said. - We've got enough problems with the law already.
- I don't know, guys. - Rufus rose to his feet. - I'm not much of a criminal tactician.
- Alright, I think we should build at least those fortifications. - Lizard pointed at the blueprint again. - Goblin warbads might be roaming nearby. We'll decide about the details later. Everyone may go... Wait, Grim. - Lizard turned to the broker - Mind if we talk a bit?
Everyone exept Grim left the room. The broker was sitting motionless, mumbling something to himself.
- What have I done... Why did I accept thad job...
- Don't blame yourself, Grim. - Lizard looked at him - It's not you fault. I know, you don't want to follow the path of a criminal anymore.
The broker looked at the expedition leader and nodded.
- The only thing they want is more money... - He said in a raspy voise.
- It's not true. - Lizard sat in front of the her teammate - And you know it. It's just how the society ripped or hopes apart. Look at Rufus. He's a honest, trustworthy and hard-working dwarf. And where is he now? He's with us.
- I know. I understand. - Grim roze on his feet and walked to the door. Then he turned to Monitor Lizard.
- Thank you. - He said quietly.
- You're welcome.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2013, 02:19:50 pm »

Daria would like to request a chest of drawers (cabinet) for her living area.  She expects to get some fancy silken underthings (leggings) next time the caravan comes through.  Red ones!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 03:54:00 am »

Is there any danger of marksdwarves hitting each other if they miss a target in the trade depot?  I've always built mi kill rooms with only 1 or 2 walls with fortifications.  I've read that ballista friendly fire... Isn't, but i don't know about crossbows.

Once i sent out a melee squad to finish the disabled goblins being shot down by my marksdwarves in a 3 wide hallway. I don't think anyone got shot by the marksdwarves, so I can safely say there will be no friendly fire. Even so, both sides will have fortifications, and you can't shoot through them unless your right next to it or if you're a elite marksdwarf, which i doubt will be happening very soon. Though, im worried the elves might bring elite archers, so I should have some sort of bridge that can retract outside the fortifications when needed to..

edit:

OOOOBBBOOOOOOOOOOO
O                 VVBFM AA O
O  XXXXXXX  VVBFM AA O
O  XDDDDDX  VVBFM AA O
O  XDDDDDX  VVBFM AA O
G  XDDDDDX  VVBFM AA O
O  XDDDDDX  VVBFM AA O
O  XDDDDDX  VVBFM AA O
O  XXXXXXX  VVBFM AA O
O                 VVBFM     O
OOOOBBBOOOOOOOOODO

O = walls
D = Depot
V = pit
G = Floodgate(If we want to flood it with magma or water)
F = Fortification
M = Marksdwarf
A = Ammo stockpile
D = door
B = Drawbridge

Or, we could use water from floodgate to push the traders/siegers/ambushers into the pit and lead them through a tunnel with cage traps.
We could also use the floodgate to push the corpses/trade goods from the depot into the pit for fast collection, so that another wagon can take its place.
By the way, I removed 1 of the marksdwarf fortifications since there is no point in it, and its inefficient.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:13:03 am by FireCrazy »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 05:57:02 am »

Whats the CMD look like? I may take them...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Spazbot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 06:06:51 am »

May i be dorf'd in the next migrant wave as "Spazbot", a mentally unstable individual in favor of large sharp objects?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44