Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

King Melbil has arrived with his queen consort. There are also many relatives of the king currently living in the fortress. What should we do?

Kill the king, but leave queen consort and relatives be.
- 0 (0%)
Murder the king and his wife, leave other members of their family alive.
- 0 (0%)
Kill'em all!
- 0 (0%)
Other variant (in comments)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: Dorfday: The Heist - The Finale  (Read 70839 times)

Blenheim Datandur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blenheim - sorry about that.  The start of the year was pretty crazy.  Everyone else had just been trying to survive.  I thought I had a handle on it, but migrants and the titan made the start rather intense.

You're fine, dude. Maybe reincarnate me later as Blenheim II?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it weren't for the joy of FBs coming into the caverns, I would be using that cavern.  Hence the tree farm that will start producing next turn :).

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of Grimmash, Overseer of Chamberdrums

Final Entry

24th Moonstone

We butchered the enormous newt.  It yielded a tremendous amount of food.  Over 350 servings of meat, 10 portions of sweetmeats, 20 portions of lung, 5 of heart, and over 30 portions of innards.  We also well near 150 pieces of bone to work with!

On the defensive side of things, the siege continues, but I have further bolstered our fortifications, and may have a way to eliminate of these pesky goblins.  On recommendation from Grim, I have ordered the miners to dig a trench in front of the fortifications in the courtyard.  Apparently this works well at foiling the aim of goblins, so it may help us.  Unfortunately, this has necessitated a rerouting of tunnels connecting the depot, fortifications, and the tunnel to the corpse pit.  We really do need a better location for the non-dwarven souls that perish here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

5th Opal

Well.  It seems Armok has yet to fully embrace us.   We finished the impromptu redesign of our defense and lured the goblins into the courtyard, only to learn that we had run out of bolts.  Completely.  Our records show hundreds, but apparently they are all spent on the field, or lying with the dead caravan.  More bones to craft are stuck in the courtyard, which is now occupied by our goblin siege force.  All our wood is expended on beds for the new immigrants.

But we are safe, for the time.  While we are surrounded, we are also walled in.  We have sufficient food via our farms and the slaughtered titan and fell newt, and we have more than enough drink to outlast any siege.  We also have rooms, if not beds for all our dwarves.  I have cleared a new space for stocks and workshops.  Once the trees in our cavern farm are grown we will have a steady supply of lumber with which to smelt the large amounts of gold and hematite ore we mined out.

I have one rather insolent idea left to try and thin out the goblins.

10th Opal

My idea worked.  I told our brothers to raise and lower the bridge into the fortress repeatedly.  The goblins are to dim witted to understand the device, and of the entire squad of 15 or so goblins, all but one have been smashed or flung to gruesome deaths.  Perhaps Armok will take some delight in this stupid trick we dwarves have devised?

In the meantime, I have greatly expanded our workshop space and carved out some new storage for… something.  Due to the massive number of dwarves and empty rooms available, I have also ordered that crafting goods be brought down into the fort, and that trade goods be brought up to the old scattershot stockpiles.  I hope to make life easier for our dwarves, and our manager, who has to work with the bookkeeper to keep all the various workshops straight.

The plan is nearly complete…  I have begun drafting the plans up for future overseers.

27th Opal

Olon Nilrobek has wirthdrawn from society today, and claimed a bowyer’s workshop.  He is staring at a picture of stones and trees.  Stone we have plenty of, but the tree farm has not produced any mature tower caps yet.  I am sending a few dwarves down the caves to fell a few tress and bring the wood back.

8th Obsidian

Another beast has appeared in the caves.  We already got Olon’s wood and he started work, so I have ordered the gates closed.

10th Obsidian

Olon finished his work, and created a fungiwood bow named Nulomtan Losisnol, or Blackmaned the Faint Tongues.  I must say, it is a fine crossbow.  I’ve offered it to Grim, for killing the first necromancer to come to the fortress.  Monitor was a bit cheeky about it, claiming he had “Killed a damn Titan!”  I almost lost my temper with him, but he quickly backpedalled, explaining that had taken down one of the reanimated bits of the beast.  He offered to go take a drink with Grim, and I tried to calm down.

24th Obsidian

The siege has lifted!  I worked with the bookkeeper to make sure we have allowed our dwarves to go collect everything, as I would hate to see the goods left to rot on the field.  I’ve also managed to make a small tomb for Magni, Titanslayer and Zefon.  It is sparse, but I am sure future overseers will appoint it properly.

And I must yield this post.  While I am honored to have served our brothers through such a year, I fear it has taken a toll on me.  We saw two sieges, necromancer betrayal, a titan, two forgotten beasts, one still roaming the caves, and nearly one hundred new souls.  Although few dwarves perished, many who did were claimed by my early blunders.  I will pass my notes on to the next overseer and return to my work as a mason and, hopefully, I will get to craft some cheese.  I’ve enclosed sketches of the progress I have made, and I will draft a separate letter detailing the plan for those of us in the cabal plotting the King’s downfall.

I wish the next overseer luck and Armok’s blessing.  He is inheriting the fortress in the Golden Age, so things can only get better.

For the next overseer, here is the general state of the fort, followed by some sketches.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Private Letter from Grimmash to the Cabal

Brothers, I have been working on this plan as time permits all year.  It is shockingly simply.  I have carved out a throne room, two stories tall, with golden pillars.  Above those pillars are four platforms, connected to the fortress by a set of bridges.  Those bridges are linked to a lever in a tunnel.  We will fill these platforms with all manner of goods, and have taken the liberty of designated the first floor for cheese, and filling the fourth with slade.  I leave the others to your discretion.  I have linked almost all the pillars to a lever in secluded room.  The bridges still need to be linked.  I fear one dwarf was caught in one of the rooms, and is awaiting completion of the final bridge to leave.

Once we have filled the rooms, linked the bridges and remaining levers, and lured the King to the throne room, we can seal him inside.  Then we can proceed to the lever room, closing of the bridges on the way, and give the King an eternal throne.

I must stress the importance of finishing the bridges and lever linkages.  One of our mechanics is also trapped with the miner, and has suspended the remaining pillar linkages.  This should be easy to fix, with the number of dwarves we have.

With Armok's grace, we shall make these nobles pay for their excesses and greed!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As soon as DFFD lets me register an account, I will upload the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8129

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

From the diary of Maskwolf
28 Obsidian
A lot has happened in the past year. Forgotten beasts have been slain, sieges have been fought off, dwarfs have died and been born. Artifacts have been created, weapons have been forged, and projects to eliminate any pesky nobles are currently in progress. Grimmash and the others don't think I know about the purpose of the rooms, but I do. They seem to think that after installing half the mechanisms I wouldn't get some idea of what they were for.  I may have no previous skill as a mechanic, but even with the limited experience I have I know that those rooms are death traps. It does not matter to me.  If they want to kill the king or whoever it's no skin off my neck. Unless I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it's time I told Grim and the others what I know and my approval of their plans. Perhaps then I won't be kept in the dark.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:05:08 am by 4maskwolf »

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey 4mask...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dammit. And that's why I should be more careful in the future. I had assumed that my dwarf wasn't part of the Cabal, given that Grim was one of it's founding members and I picked a fight with him. Hmm... I'll go back and modify my entry so that my dwarf didn't realize what the mechanisms were for until now. RPing into the Cabal would work.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - When goblins fly (Players are welcome!)
« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2013, 01:03:20 am »

Great update, Grimmash! :) I like the situation room you placed on the top floor near the lever. I'll PM darkrider2 as soon as possible.

By the way, Lizard is female.  :P
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:26:36 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2013, 02:24:54 am »

I think I'll do a journal entry soon. The fortress seems to have evolved a lot during your turn. Lets get that throne room trap finished!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2013, 08:53:05 am »

I took a peek at the save. Grim had got a title.

The artifact weapon is actually a useless blowgun. Even if we had ammo for this, it will be rather ineffective on the battlefield. Our broker should be assigned his crossbow back.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:03:08 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2013, 10:52:45 am »

Oops.  There may have been an issue involving an alternate timeline and the flaming FB getting into the fortress.  When the cabal instituted an impromptu ritual to Armok, apparently the price paid was the nature of the artifact that was created so temporally close to the time rift.

Or i can't read. 

Either way, that flame based FB is nasty.  He set 1/3 of the dwarves on fire in the alternate timeline.  Don't forget to keep that lower bridge shut.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2013, 12:54:51 pm »

Blowguns are actually pretty nasty weapons, there's a typo or something in the RAWs that makes them shoot 10x higher velocity than bows and crossbows as I recall. The lack of ammo is the real problem.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2013, 07:15:47 pm »

Well, that became a lot longer than intended.  There you go Mask, I think I gave your dorf something to think about :).  Also, I was wrong, you weren't part of the cabal, after reviewing the thread.  I just put you in it by mistake.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »

Nicely done, Grimmash.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44