Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43556 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #450 on: November 30, 2013, 08:03:11 am »

Yes, it is two days until PeFNFiNaNoNoWriMo begins for me.

(Penance For Not Finishing NaNoWriMo Novel Writing Month)

This sounds masochistic enough to get behind. Bring on PeFNFiNaNoNoWriMo!

Congrats to all who kept going btw. You are pro writing powa!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 30, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »

As an aspiring author who gave up in shame after a week, I just want to give kudos to everyone in these final hours of November.  Hope some of this is available to read in full.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013
« Reply #452 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:53 am »

I'm a little too busy writing my novel to participate in Nano this year.

... wait. O_o;

Heheh I was about to say something similar when I realized it's now 01DEC.  But that's OK, I got 20 total chapters in at @ 3k words per chapter average, during November, so I'll just say I did it even though I forgot about it.

Speaking of which, I'll link it in it's own thread in this subsection of the forums.  I have rarely ever been disappointed in both the quality and the humor of responses on Bay12, so I expect I'll get some good laughs, or good feedback, or both :)

** Edit - decided to spell November right.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:53:37 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #453 on: December 01, 2013, 03:53:13 am »

As an aspiring author who gave up in shame after a week, I just want to give kudos to everyone in these final hours of November.  Hope some of this is available to read in full.

I plan to finish my first draft in December (going to try to keep a similar pace as November), then I will make it available for B12ers to read if they want, as thanks for all the support and all that. Of course, it's going to be terrible until I edit it and remove about 50% of the first quarter or so, so read at your own risk. : ) Eventually I will edit it and probably self-publish it, even if it's only in ebook form.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 01, 2013, 04:40:41 am »

Actually since the seed of my novel came from these forums I should probably repost one of the drafts here, once it's done. Unfortunately now that deadline's over I'm pretty irked at what I've done and it needs a lot of edits...like, lots...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 01, 2013, 04:57:10 am »

I just crossed that glorious gray line and got back above par. I have less than 1500 words to write to finish. I'm considering even just pushing through and doing it tonight, but first I'll take a long break. I've been writing about 3000 words per day all week, so 1500 seems like nothing to me now.

I'm going to do it! Mania and all, I have caught back up, and I'm just shy of the finish line now. And to make it even better, I'm finally getting some interesting stuff actually happening in my story. Here's a sample of something I enjoyed writing and I think it will require very little editing when the time comes... I just need to find another word to replace "squirrels" with, because it appears far too often.

Spoiler: Squirrels (click to show/hide)

Tree rats.  Not sure that fits the image you're trying to give them though.  8)

Could just use "rodents" or a descriptor name for specific invividuals.  "crooked-tail", whatever :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:41 am »

Actually since the seed of my novel came from these forums I should probably repost one of the drafts here, once it's done. Unfortunately now that deadline's over I'm pretty irked at what I've done and it needs a lot of edits...like, lots...
The time for edits is a week or two after you've finished the first draft, even if there are book breaking problems. Make a couple of notes to yourself about what you want to fix (or a few pages of notes) and move on as if you made those. Having a complete first draft will give you the perspective you need to make major edits that having half a completed manuscript never will, and it will make your editing job a little easier.

--

Started PeFNFiNaNoNoWriMo at midnight, and got 1,182 words before I had to go to bed. So I've got a lead right now. Unfortunately, there is the slight problem that I am working six days this week, something I didn't know about when I decided to kill myself to do this. Work killed NaNo for me, will work kill PeFNNaNo???'

--

Edit: Forgot to say this before: Congratulations to the victors! It was no easy task, and you pulled it off.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:25:52 am by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!
« Reply #457 on: December 01, 2013, 10:49:35 am »

Congragulations to all the winners!

I really didn't even come close to finishing this year, but at least I got some realizations about my story and universe overall out of it. And you know what that means. It's PeFNFiNaNoNoWriMo time. Which for me means editing my previous story and expanding it to be more awesome.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 01, 2013, 01:24:53 pm »

I wish I had read this before November; maybe next year I'll try it.

Congrats to everyone who finished! Keep at it to everyone who's doing PeFNFiNaNoWriMo!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 01, 2013, 03:16:18 pm »

The time for edits is a week or two after you've finished the first draft, even if there are book breaking problems. Make a couple of notes to yourself about what you want to fix (or a few pages of notes) and move on as if you made those. Having a complete first draft will give you the perspective you need to make major edits that having half a completed manuscript never will, and it will make your editing job a little easier.

That was the plan. I've had an alpha reader giving me continuity notes the whole way and made a few of my own, so once the whole draft is finished I have the first edit pass lined up and ready to go. I'll probably start sending copies out once the first pass is complete, because I've put in a lot of time and effort making sure it's readable copy. As it stands I'm still something like 15-20k from completion, but lack of a deadline is letting me breathe and plan better so we'll see.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 01, 2013, 03:20:40 pm »

I've yet to write a single additional word after finishing. Maybe I'll write the second half of this in next year's NaNo. Apparently I'm helpless without the graph.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 01, 2013, 08:13:19 pm »

OP, can you make a poll for who won and who didn't, potentially with subdivisions for partial progress? I, for one, would be interested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 01, 2013, 10:45:04 pm »

I can if you want, or perhaps a better way would be for me to just go through the thread and pick out the winners, and put their names in the OP.

That and I really need to start my editing.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2013, 11:47:15 pm »

So, set out to do 30,000 words (I have some sort of focus issue that makes me slower at like, everything.  Except video games) achieved 20,000.  Gave up so I could spend time with my girlfriend over Thanksgiving break, but I was so worn out there was no way I was going to make it even if I hadn't given up.

Personal thoughts?  Its really hard to do Nano in college.  I already did my wimpy 30,000 goal in high school, but now I failed and it wasn't even a particularly busy month.  Its not just a time thing, college is a transitional period (in my life at least), and I find my focus split between a lot of things.

The writing is also not my best but, well, that was to be expected.  I'm working on a short story for the school lit mag and hopefully writing something tightly edited will re-affirm my faith in my own ability to write sentences that are neither repetitive nor filled with junk words.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2013, 07:30:02 pm »

Work killed NaNo for me, will work kill PeFNNaNo???'
Yes.

.____________.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32