Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43575 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #330 on: November 09, 2013, 01:00:51 am »

I'm writing about a guy who writes and I'm managing to not make it autobiographic. Pretty proud. There's a lot of musing, but it's not necessarily my views.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2013, 02:59:53 am »

Just hit 13,000 words. I'll even have time to catch up tomorrow and ... dare I say it... get a lead on my word count.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2013, 09:41:10 am »

I look at them the same as those people who have three doctorates by age 20.  I choose to ignore them, because the universe is a happier place if I don't know they exist.

There's something to be said for that philosophy. I think I will adopt it.

Edit: #nano on irc.darkmyst.net was the channel we used before. I'll hang out there if anyone wants to word war or needs a writing cheerleader etc.
Nobody there.

... not that I'm writing one. :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2013, 09:49:38 am »

I'm having an emotionally trying day (see my post in the "things that made you sad today" thread if you want details, I'm definitely not going to write it again). I feel completely rotted up and twisted inside, violated, helpless, terrified to face the world. I keep trying to sit down and write but then the events of last night pop back into my head and I lose it all over again. I really hope I can regain control of myself by evening. I don't want the fuckers who made me feel this way to also get control over my creative outlet and stop me from making my word count for the first time. : (

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 09, 2013, 10:54:36 am »

I'll leave what I wrote in the other thread for the other thread. But for this one, the advice is the same as any other day. Just worry about putting one word after the other, and repeat.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 09, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »

Hope you feel better soon Sappho, don't feel bad about taking a day off if you're not up to it. You can always make up the word count later.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 09, 2013, 01:39:08 pm »

1745 words today, finishing a chapter and the entire first section of my book. Now follows a complete character and plotline change for another 18k or more (or less) words.

I don't wanna reread what I wrote today because it is not fun to write while sick, and I imagine the quality varies a bit. Still, it's done! I persevered! Hurray.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 09, 2013, 04:10:47 pm »

I'm having an emotionally trying day (see my post in the "things that made you sad today" thread if you want details, I'm definitely not going to write it again). I feel completely rotted up and twisted inside, violated, helpless, terrified to face the world. I keep trying to sit down and write but then the events of last night pop back into my head and I lose it all over again. I really hope I can regain control of myself by evening. I don't want the fuckers who made me feel this way to also get control over my creative outlet and stop me from making my word count for the first time. : (

Sorry that happened to you : (
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2013, 01:02:12 am »

I just broke 15,000 words before midnight.First time in a week that I've seen two green bars on my book's stat screen. Feels good. Feels reeeaaaal goooood.  8)

Now off to toss out another thousand towards tomorrow's count.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #339 on: November 10, 2013, 05:18:27 am »

Sorry that happened to you : (

Thanks. I didn't write anything yesterday, but I'm determined to catch up today. Coffee at the ready!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:56 am »

Welp, I threw in the towel.  And I feel great about it.

I only signed on for this challenge because I wanted to see if I could do it, but I realized that if I don't actually care about what I'm working on, it turns into a chore.  And when something feels like a chore, I find other things to do instead.

I was already working on a writing project that I want to be writing and was making great progress with right before November.  There's also my roguelike to program, that I'm finally past a block with.  And I already know that if I had a subject, I could crank out 50000 words in a month - I've done 22000 in two weeks before, and that still wasn't my maximum effort.  It just has to be something that I want to do.

So, good luck all.  Maybe I'll try again next year.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2013, 10:42:23 am »

I think NaNo is a tool, and if it's not a useful tool for you at the moment, there's no shame in letting it go this time around.

As for me, I have just gotten my two green bars! I wrote 2,735 words today and that got me back up to par despite my rough day yesterday. And I'm bursting to write the next couple of scenes. Maybe I'll keep going and get a head start. Who knows how I'll feel tomorrow...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2013, 10:55:28 am »

I don't find NaNo a tool, really. A tool to get a lot of writing done? I wouldn't risk any of my cherished story ideas to NaNo, but rather take my time for higher quality (and probably never get it done). I'm doing NaNo for its own sake, so I can stand on 50k words and say 'I did this, bitches!'.

I've been kept away from writing today. Hoping to get a good late-night spurt going when I get home. Some people on my buddy list are getting past me in wordcount and that's just unacceptable.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2013, 01:57:23 pm »

A lot of writers achieve quality through editing.  The idea is to write a shitty first draft and then clean that up.  So in theory, Nanowrimo is a good tool with which to do that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 10, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »

Welp, I can't do this any more. november has decided to absorb all my spare time and make me feel like shit simultaneously, and even when I do get a chance to write I end up just staring at the screen because I've been over the plot in my head and there's nothing interesting about it left to me, so I just can't write.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32