Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43563 times)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2013, 02:25:45 pm »

If anyone wants a bit of a distraction and wants to read my first chapter, I finally got around to uploading it:

Computational Demonology
Chapter 1 - The Book
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2013, 03:06:49 pm »

Got about 400 words today. Better than yesterday's nothing. Not good enough thought. Need to drag myself out of the goddamn pit. If only that was as easily done as said.

And the mate I was doing it with has finished. How the hell?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:10:40 pm by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2013, 03:27:09 pm »

Holy shit, I can't believe it.

9:30 pm. Another night where I finish right before bed. When I wake up, they will be blue again, and that widget will have a red box on it.

I have to say, though. Usually when I'm feeling the way I've been feeling lately, I'm not able to do things like this, no matter how badly I want to. Even though I'm having a hard time, I'm actually doing this. Even though I'm already starting to feel like I'm writing garbage, it's not good enough, I should be capable of better... At least I'm doing it. I can always fix it later. I'm not sure how I'm finding it in myself to do this. But I'm glad I started, that's for sure.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2013, 03:37:57 pm »

Fun Fact:
I write without putting down a single plot point.
Literally.
I can't write any story that has an 'infrastructure'. I grow bored and stop.
I create the world and the characters...and then I let them interact with one another to form stories.
At the present I'm watching my story apparently grab a sort-of utterly creepy Dracula-remake trying to get inspiration through a muse, and a Merlin-like wannabe investigator torturing a young girl for reasons so unknown I don't know them (yet) either.
But all is well.
And maybe I need a psychiatrist.
Muse, stop. Please. Stahp.

*Snippet of normal interaction between 'Basileus' (the Investigator) and 'Lyara' (The Protagonist)*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:52 pm »

Holy shit, I can't believe it.

9:30 pm. Another night where I finish right before bed. When I wake up, they will be blue again, and that widget will have a red box on it.

I have to say, though. Usually when I'm feeling the way I've been feeling lately, I'm not able to do things like this, no matter how badly I want to. Even though I'm having a hard time, I'm actually doing this. Even though I'm already starting to feel like I'm writing garbage, it's not good enough, I should be capable of better... At least I'm doing it. I can always fix it later. I'm not sure how I'm finding it in myself to do this. But I'm glad I started, that's for sure.

Internet High-Five.

That pesky internal editor is a tough nut to keep under wraps sometimes, but it's well worth it. There will be plenty of time after you've finished, sat back to relax, and then reread your work before he - or she, if your internal editor just so happens to be so - should be let out of its cage. :D

I've also noticed you're the only one of the people listed under my Writing Buddies on NaNo that have hit the 10k mark yet. You're succeeding where plenty of others, who likely don't have to deal with the same sort of problems, are failing! Seems encouraging! Encouragement in others' failure may seem vicious, but it's encouragement nonetheless. :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:08:22 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2013, 06:21:13 pm »

As the OP, I'll start posting up widgets in a spoiler in the first post if you want- just let me know via PM or whatnot, though if you could send me the image link that would be nice as well.

And now to write essays and then work on NaNo.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2013, 07:05:41 pm »

Snatched par in the 2 minutes before the 'next day' began. Word warring a friend near-constantly for an hour certainly does the trick, even if the whole 2k is some of the more puerile nonsense I've written this year.

C'est example

"Snakes erupt from her face, and black tar runs down bloodless eye-sockets. The walls come alive with chanting priests standing on a podium of dismembered hands. Alive hands, with reaching fingers. The fingernails sail off like confetti in the air, twirling in a windless room."

All of my wat.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2013, 07:15:48 pm »

FUNK YEAH 50 WORDS
I'M ON A ROLL

And now watch as I bust out 49000 words in the last 3 days.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2013, 07:34:21 pm »

Snatched par in the 2 minutes before the 'next day' began. Word warring a friend near-constantly for an hour certainly does the trick, even if the whole 2k is some of the more puerile nonsense I've written this year.

C'est example

"Snakes erupt from her face, and black tar runs down bloodless eye-sockets. The walls come alive with chanting priests standing on a podium of dismembered hands. Alive hands, with reaching fingers. The fingernails sail off like confetti in the air, twirling in a windless room."

All of my wat.

sounds like nightvale.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »

Ah, just barely pulled par tonight. RL intervened, but I still made it. Now to be happy.  :D

3869 words as of this post.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #310 on: November 07, 2013, 03:43:06 am »

Thanks for the encouragement, Inequality. This morning I woke up actually feeling quite good about the book. I spent an hour doing some research on Wikipedia, which is my only resource at the moment since my friend bailed on me, and found enough details that I'm sure I can fill in the rest. The advantage to using fairy tales and mythology is there's always a lot of ambiguity and freedom to make your own versions. Ideas for what will happen next are starting to fill my head.

Sadly, it's already 9:40 and I have to leave for work in less than an hour, and still need to get ready and pack a lunch, as well as clean out the cat box. So I only have about 20 minutes to actually write. Work is starting to seem like nothing more than a pesky interruption to my writing time. I hope my motivation will stay so high in the afternoon/evening, when I'm tired out from the first and second graders I have to teach today.

I also woke up with some ideas on how to fix the structure a bit, make it flow better. But that will require editing, so I've decided that I may only go back and change these things once I've already hit my word count for today.

Happy writing, everyone! Remember, if I can overcome sleep attacks, depression, and a full time job to hit my word count, you can do it too! Just get it done, you can get it right later! : D

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2013, 03:57:02 am »

I'm glad to hear things are going well, Sappho.

After a week of painful delays and late starts and frustrating plot setups, I just wrote my 9,731st word. I will break 10,000, finish Act 1, finish my main arc setup, and introduce a major character tomorrow. I can't wait.

Brain shutting down. Entering sleep mode.....
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07:07 am »

Almost at 1500 tonight. If I can just break 2000, then I can get back on track tomorrow, no classes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2013, 05:42:44 am »

first and second graders I have to teach today.

Wow you're a teacher? You have my greatest respect and also most sincere apology if you work in the US.

Okay. Enough procratinating. I have a physics lab and one class tomorrow. Easy.

Energy drinks and gummy snacks and pringles. Acquired.

All-night writing party commences.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #314 on: November 07, 2013, 11:09:15 am »

first and second graders I have to teach today.

Wow you're a teacher? You have my greatest respect and also most sincere apology if you work in the US.

I'm not in the US. I'm in Prague. Actually my job is pretty great, but extremely exhausting. As I feared, I am just home from work (took 30 minutes longer than usual to get home because of an accident on one of the roads by the tram line) and completely exhausted and brain fogged. The day was far more chaotic than usual due to an open house at the school (parents sticking their heads in, rooms getting swapped around, etc.) and it was just too much. Now all I want to do is go to bed, but I've barely started writing for the day.

The good news is, I found a web site where I can stream classic Czech films, ones that never got mainstream enough for me to download them otherwise. There are generally no subtitles, but since they're mostly children's films, I should manage to understand enough. There are a lot of fairy tales that I can use as research for my book. And it's always cool when you can watch a bunch of Czech films as research for a book and not feel guilty about it at all (though obviously it doesn't relieve me of my word count obligation).
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32