Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43548 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:11 pm »

I guess yellow and orange are below green and above red, though I don't know in which order.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:30 pm »

Every time I start chugging, I leave a quick note to myself to establish headcanon and jump ahead. It gets my wordcount up, but it leaves a draft studded with things like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's a couple places where I've realized the intervening bit is completely unnecessary to the story as the important takeaways can be established during the setup of the next scene, but there's still more plotholes than I would like. At least "the dead guy" has an honest to god name: the head of the main city's religion is currently named "High Priest Priestpants."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2013, 11:41:36 pm »

Word count tip: Insert the word "fucking" into every monologue (and general thoughts) slightly more than is reasonable. Insta-words!

@monk12: You're quite close to getting that top green bar!

EDIT: Almost half a percent of all my words have "fuck" in them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »

That might be what is most depressing; if I had another five hundred words in me, I'd be back on the happy side of par, but sadly it appears I do not. Tomorrow's another story, however!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2013, 12:23:17 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good news: It updates!

Bad news: Aw, now there's a red day. :(
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:29 am »

Ouch.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:20:12 pm by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2013, 03:29:47 am »

I finally finish my word count, get my two green bars, go to bed. Wake up in the morning, and the damn things are blue again! IT NEVER ENDS!

A new strategy for me: actually, it's better if what I write now is not very good. If I write carefully and set down stuff that I really like, then later, when I realize that half of it needs to be cut or rewritten entirely, I will be upset. Better to have it really rough now and then I won't feel bad about fixing it later.

I always put in too much detail for everything. I will definitely have to cut large portions of it later. Don't want it to be good stuff!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:38:27 am by Sappho »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 06, 2013, 08:22:11 am »

Ooo, widgets. Sweet.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 06, 2013, 08:27:48 am »

Ouch.

I, erm, think you misquoted me (read: forgot to get rid of the quote code). :P

I finally finish my word count, get my two green bars, go to bed. Wake up in the morning, and the damn things are blue again! IT NEVER ENDS!

A new strategy for me: actually, it's better if what I write now is not very good. If I write carefully and set down stuff that I really like, then later, when I realize that half of it needs to be cut or rewritten entirely, I will be upset. Better to have it really rough now and then I won't feel bad about fixing it later.

I always put in too much detail for everything. I will definitely have to cut large portions of it later. Don't want it to be good stuff!

Same here. It's difficult not to get an ego and feel like Robert Heinlen - notorious for being able to publish his first drafts, and often cited as an example of how not to go about the editing process - and remember that the first draft is supposed to be rather rough. I feel like I've written a few good lines and paragraphs here and there in my 10k so far, but I just know when I come back to edit this thing early next year that I'm going to have this exact facial expression when I read: ???
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 06, 2013, 11:07:36 am »

1703 words so far - I've had exciting things only to write. And once I finish this exciting section I'll have a completely different plotline, characters, etc. to open! Variety! Wonderful! Sadly, I appear to be getting sick as well. Still, NaNo, so much fun.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 06, 2013, 11:14:20 am »

Broke 1100 last night. Hope to make it to at least 3000 by today, get to 7000 tomorrow.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 06, 2013, 01:03:38 pm »

2031 words today, bringing me up to a total of 12237. I almost let myself be satisfied with just over the minimum goal, but ended up pushing myself to the 2k mark.

My plot is finally picking up steam; I think it's high time for lasers to start flying, and for things to start exploding. :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #297 on: November 06, 2013, 01:10:04 pm »

Fighting myself again today. The good news is I managed to write 779 words this morning before I went to work. The bad news is it's 7 pm, I'm just now making dinner, and I've been hit with a wave of crippling fatigue. I just barely managed to peel myself off the couch to type this.

Hopefully it'll pass. It usually does. I'll be so upset with myself if I crash and don't finish my word count...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:51 pm »

Crushing despair is putting a damper on my writing abilities today. O_o Oh well, I'm at least a day ahead, so I can afford it I guess...

Do writing. How. :(

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »

Sitting at work on my lunch break, I put together an actual outline for the story I thought up on Sunday.  It's broken into 23 distinct parts - if each part is a "chapter", then if I aim to make each chapter at least 2200 words I'll be home free.  Both of those numbers still sound intimidating, but what I've written for just the intro chapter is already a quarter of that and nowhere near complete for an introduction.

2200 word-average per chapter isn't too bad really.  Break up the work into chapters, break up the chapter into concepts, break up the concept into supporting details, bulk out the detail with lots of flavor text, and it'll be just like bullshitting term papers in school.  I used to bullshit term papers in my sleep, I could easily break 1500-2000 words in one late night, and that was with a modicum of research.  Trade the research for more writing time and the academic language for naturalistic prose, and I know exactly what I'm doing.

I just have to write twenty two more of them by the end of the month, starting tonight...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32