Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Build-a-City Game 2 what kind of area should start at?(we don't have a gm)  (Read 3624 times)

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile

the first one
The last game was unfortunately abandoned so I decided to make a new one.
I am an awful writer so the game won't start until I get a better one. Just tell me if you want to be the writer or gm
I will be making changes as we go so if something feels overpowered or underpowered I will consider changing it.
Spoiler: character creation (click to show/hide)

This is a game about...village building. Yeah, let's go with that. It's about village building by you guys who invariably travel through time. Or something.

Basic Rules

A year is 4 seasons, each season is two parts (Early Spring, Late Spring)

Depending on situation turns take on smaller units of time.
Battles resolve instantly but usually "happen" in about a week, marching time notwithstanding.

Each player essentially runs a "guild". Party, guild, posse, skill, however you call it.
  Each guild has a "Major" specialization. This is what your guild is known BEST for (and get the biggest check bonus for). Having superbly high skill in Spears, for example, would cause the enemy on the battlefield to run in terror when your spearmen arrive on the field.
  Each guild has up to 4 "Minor" specializations. These increase slower but are kinda "we're branching out" type things. Not as well known but respectable enough.
  Minor specializations can be added or modified at any time, up to 4 total though. Caveat: Doing so loses all skill and influence the specialization has. There's some spillover from other specializations ("They're doing Spears now and since they do Axes so well they should do Spears just fine" type of mentality)
  All players can conduction actions outside their specialization (much like one of your guys goes out and gets some builders to make something: your guild has no builder preference but other people can get the job done).
  Actions outside the specialization receive no roll bonus.

The Skills are (and these are added as players come up with new ones, such as Combat Jet Flying if someone invents an F-16 or something)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Metagaming
This is honestly what I want to see happen.
    This game's purpose is to run on technology as suggested by players.
    By default everything the game's civilization is supposed to have "exist". Thus anything a player suggests is implied to be "better" than the original, if only by a little.
    New technology must be explained in a way that makes sense: ("A sword that has a chainsaw blade powered by a jewel of Thunder Spell" is only acceptable if "Chainsaw blade" and "Jeweled Magic" both exist for the city")
    In a nutshell: make smaller pieces so the larger pieces won't have to be a long winded explanation.

Aiight.
The first 3 posts are reserved because
Post 1: Rule changes, updates, what have you.
Post 2: State of the Village, techs available, etc.
Post 3: Players and their unit compositions.

Add-ons because people are smarts.
1. This game obeys kinda real life logic, so certain Dwarf Fortress things would cause...issues. Not that it can't happen, just gonna need a little more care into it.
2. The NPCs in this game are stupid for the sake of letting players instead of me run the show.
3. The NPCs are stupid but not Sims-stuck-on-staircase stupid. They will carry out functions necessary to run the city but not to improve it.

The player name should be something that would make sense being shouted aloud as a part of "all hail -X!"
Player Name:
Race:
Major Spec:
Minor Specs:
Orders for this turn: (something like "Fishermen Fish" is unnecessary. "Fishermen go make fishing boats" is necessary, since it is a nonstandard move)
Current State of the Village
Maps
  General Area
  Local Area

Technology
Really bad (not necessarily a reflection of intellect)

Organization
What's that?

Note that these two following sections simply detail the use of the animal and its name if necessary, as opposed to the usual DF level of detail.
Local Flora
?
Local Fauna
Other
?

Neighbors

Demographic
   Race: Population (estimate to 50)
   Elves: 0
   Nekos: 0
   Humans: 0
   Avian: 0
   Half-Elf:0
   Goblin:0
   Total:0.

So what are you guys?
Spoiler: team layout (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:10:06 pm by ICBM pilot »
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Player Name: Raalup Geekbeard
Race: Dwarves!
Major Specialization: Building(this includes carpentry related to building, right?)
Minor Specializations:
Smithing
Digging/Mining
Brewing
Axing
Orders for first turn: Axes go chop trees down and split the logs into usable sizes. Brewers and smiths, go sift through rocks and shit in the river and elsewhere to find good ones to make tools with, and ones with metal in them. Builders and Diggers begin work on a warehouse with the tools you can get. A food warehouse, by the way; it needs to be safe from pests, temperature changes, and be cool/cold. Part of it in ground, probably.

Edit: Oh yes, and fifty of us, please.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I'd volunteer, but I'm to busy with my other game. So sorry, not me.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile

We don't have any axes or food.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not yet. And if we don't even have stone axes, what do we have? Did we bring anything with us?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I didn't really follow the first, but I've been thinking of trying to GM a city-building game for a while, so if someone could give me a run-down on what would be required I'd volunteer.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

I would be for an oasis in a desert, maybe a nile delta szenario

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Greg the champion of Blag
Size: 20 humans and 30 goblin thralls
Skill:(in decreasing order of significance) Humans: Spears, Preaching, Fishing Goblins: Weaving, Fishing, Construction (Boat Building), Construction (Mud/Mud Bricks see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattle_and_daub )
Memoirs of Greg the champion of Blag

Orders

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also I could be a writer but I am often really busy so updates would at Best be every other day I also would need someone to handle the actual GMing bit.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile

Not yet. And if we don't even have stone axes, what do we have? Did we bring anything with us?
no
I didn't really follow the first, but I've been thinking of trying to GM a city-building game for a while, so if someone could give me a run-down on what would be required I'd volunteer.
Large amounts of guessing and maybe reading the first one.
[/quote]
Name: Greg the champion of Blag
Size: 20 humans and 30 goblin thralls
Skill:(in decreasing order of significance) Humans: Spears, Preaching, Fishing Goblins: Weaving, Fishing, Construction (Boat Building), Construction (Mud/Mud Bricks see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattle_and_daub )
Memoirs of Greg the champion of Blag

Orders
only one race please

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I could GM for a bit if you ask me, but just stop me from developing mechanics.

I feel like that we can we are king (tm) it.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
Re: The Build-a-City Game 2 what kind of area should start at?(we got a gm)
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »

I could GM for a bit if you ask me, but just stop me from developing mechanics.

I feel like that we can we are king (tm) it.
I'm fine with you developing mechanics for it as long as it is close to the original, just pm if you aren't sure. Post a turn once you figure out the mechanics.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: The Build-a-City Game 2 what kind of area should start at?(we have a gm)
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »

Name: Estaban Black/ Also commonly known as "El Capo"

Main profesion: Manager/organizers
Race: Humans
Minor: Charisma
Minor: Brewing
Minor: Gathering seeds
Minor: farming sugar
Minor: Hand to Hand fighters {When they hold practice sessions it'll be like MGS CQC/ MMA syled fighting. In a full blown out war handcuffs and claws are rumored to be used for maxium killing intent.}

Bio/backstory: In the island Mesma lived the small human village of Hava. The people generally always had enough to eat and loved for great hospitality. Even foreign diplomats and leaders came to visit the village. However a cultist faction that practices cannabalism swept like plague and threated them, so they took the first boat and crash landed here. They took what supplies they could {mostly empty barrels and sugar cane to grow later} and headed into the wilds only to find this new settlement. The leader or "El capo" as they call him is practically begging to join to start a new life.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 06:16:13 pm »

Oh come on we would have to address the issue of slavery at one point or another why not start with it and if you need me Ill write if some one else wants to GM and I could help ICBM since I intently followed a book and it has now spawned an short story Im writing.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 08:25:44 pm »

I think the point is you get one race, the advantages and disadvantages of that race. You don't get to pick and choose so you get advantages from everyone.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3