Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relocating for a job.  (Read 769 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Relocating for a job.
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:50:11 pm »

So, my current job (in the Seattle area) is ending today.

However, the HR person told me they need someone to work in California for 6 months, starting in november; with the same pay rate + relocation expenses

I've never really considered moving for a job, and I'm living in the house I grew up in (my parents moved to a condo) what are the factors I need to consider?

I do have annoyingly frequent medical problems (still recovering from a 3rd try at root canaling one tooth + antibiotic reaction...) and I'm anxious about being away from my regular doctors.

I don't have a sig. other/spouse/kids, but I do have friends who depend on me for things.

It would be nice to be somewhere warmer for the winter.

Maybe it'll be an exciting adventure... or maybe I'll just be a migrant cheesemaker.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relocating for a job.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:35:24 pm »

Moving is great and getting the opportunity for a low commitment for just 6 months, paid, is outright amazing. Snap that shit up.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:06:46 pm »

relocation expenses

I'm living in the house I grew up in (my parents moved to a condo)

what are the factors I need to consider?

"Relocation expenses" probably doesn't mean "we'll pay rent for six months." If you're presently living in a house rent free / that is owned free and clear, etc. it's possible that going from that to renting/buying a place in california might present a significant expense that you might not presently have.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »

Yeah, money is bound to be tighter, but then again if you don't go you get no money at all until you find the next job. And California sounds fun, I'd go for sake of adventure if nothing else.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:50:24 pm »

Where in California? Some parts are much better than others. And some are also cold and wet in the winter (especially the SF bay area, although that'd probably be worth it for the adventure aspects.)

Note that California is generally a very expensive place to get housing in, so how worth it this might be from an economic perspective is going to depend a good bit on where you're going to be and what kind of housing you decide to get.

In general, I'd recommend doing some research first on the area that you'll be moving to. Make sure you like the idea of being there and the things you can do.

That said, you're probably better off doing it. 6 months is long enough to experience a lot of neat stuff and short enough not to have a giant impact on your life, given your current situation.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:33 am »

+1 to most of the stuff in this thread.

If you need opinion on California, let me know. Lived here all my life, and have covered 95% of the state at one point, either traveling for work, family, or living there. Ican give you a good belt of advice if you want.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:33:15 pm »

Do it and have an adventure.

Of course, keep the option to move back home always available, just in case. Never know what will happen.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.