Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not the bees!  (Read 755 times)

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not the bees!
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:44 am »

Sorry for the reference.

I have made several bee boxes and my beekeeper has happily filled them with colonies. I have set some of the colonies to be harvested and the rest to not be harvested in order to have a replenishing source of colonies, but even thou all my hives are ready to be harvested, nothing is being done.

I have only one dwarf with beekeeper labour enabled (I read that having more can cause problems) and that dwarf has long periods of no job, but he is not harvesting the hives.

I have made also several green glass jugs for the task, slogging thru all the job cancellation messages because there was no sand. What is up with those by the way? Why does the game not get that the sand is being harvested and will be there in a minute?

Am I overlooknig something?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Not the bees!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:33:10 am »

rock jugs would have been fine, but glass has more style

check if the beekeeper is bugged out somewhere, it happens even with one beekeeper. Otherwise I don't know, he may be busy somewhere else

And currently dorfs don't see anything that is 'on the way', just accept it as how it is
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:42:21 am »

Thanks for the answer.

If he is bugged out, what do I do?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:47:50 am »

iirc, disabling his beekeeping labor should get him moving for work again (if he is stuck somewhere), afterwards you can turn it on again
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:58:55 am »

A bugged beekeeper stands around somewhere with the job "install colony in hive"; i.e. _stands_, doing absolutely nothing while displaying an active job. In that case, you have to find the empty hive that issued the installation job and toggle its install option off and on. Finding the building can be done by consulting the "j"obs list, zooming to the "b"uilding, or by looking at i"t"ems in buildings, singling out hives which contain no bees.

Are you sure the hives in question are actually ready for harvesting? The indicator in the building dialogue says "ready to split", which is a different thing - a new colony can be split off and placed in an empty hive. This happens quite a while before harvesting becomes possible. A hive is ready to harvest when there are a "royal jelly" and a "honeycomb" item inside the building. To see those, you have to check the i"t"ems contained in the hives. Once hives are ready to harvest and at least one unoccupied dwarf with beekeeping enabled is available, "collect hive products" should show up soon enough.

@^Disabling beekeeping or otherwise yanking the beekeeper around will not fix the stuckness bug. The faulty job comes from the hive, and the hive alone. As long as you don't fix the building, the job will not clear up and will keep stranding beekeepers.

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 06:05:12 am »

it does say ready to split, I guess I have to wait longer then. Thanks for clearing this up :)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:00:51 am »

~ The faulty job comes from the hive, and the hive alone. As long as you don't fix the building, the job will not clear up and will keep stranding beekeepers.

is the fault with the hive or it just originates there?  Meaning: is there any profit in deconstructing it and placing a new one?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 11:05:09 am »

I think the bug causes two hives to send two beekeepers to the same natural occuring hive, (I remember now). Putting the faulty hive as not accepting a new colony clears it up.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 11:39:04 am »

I simply use my indoor burrow alert to put sense back into the beekeeper. This interupt other outdoor jobs too.