Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The "intended" way to deal with vampires  (Read 11225 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: The "intended" way to deal with vampires
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:55 pm »

If you want a "burn the witch" -style execution, set up a room with five tiles, separated by a floodgate from a 1x1 (or maybe 1x2, to avoid evaporation issues) room full of magma. Then open the floodgate.

Eventually his feet should break and he'll fall into the magma...

For bonus points, make the walls of the room out of glass and put it near your dining room. Public execution, Monty Python style! Hopefully somebody nearby has a decent Comedian skill.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 11:12:40 am »

My vampires get volunteered to tap the volcano when my magma forges are ready to go online. I always make sure to have a few additional stone detailing jobs for them to do in the magma channel so they don't sprint away.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 05:12:44 pm »

I've found that if you make a squad of them and put a crèche for all your useless children nearby it solves two problems at once. Three if you're running low on food or booze.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 10:49:52 pm »

I've heard that vampires have a strange aversion to bedrooms. They can't claim one unless they're formally invited to. Cunning dwarves may find a way to manipulate this strange tic...

(just had my first vampire-in-residence in a fortress of about 100 or so. I really like this particular embark, but the vamp offends my perfectionist streak and has already committed three murders before I even set up a justice system to deal with them. Seems an exploit, but for my first time I'll take it instead of trying to read through 100 dorf dossiers)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 11:58:14 pm »

I equip my marksdwarves with silver bolts, and I have my carpenters produce giant wooden stakes that I stick in weapons traps. I have a moat of water around the fortress to create a choke point, and grow garlic in my farms, which I have my dwarves string up everywhere and wear on their persons. I give my craftsdwarfs quotas to produce cross medallions. I've had three vampire attacks so far, and no losses.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 11:14:16 am »

I've heard that vampires have a strange aversion to bedrooms. They can't claim one unless they're formally invited to. Cunning dwarves may find a way to manipulate this strange tic...

(just had my first vampire-in-residence in a fortress of about 100 or so. I really like this particular embark, but the vamp offends my perfectionist streak and has already committed three murders before I even set up a justice system to deal with them. Seems an exploit, but for my first time I'll take it instead of trying to read through 100 dorf dossiers)

Its not an exploit. They don't sleep. So, if you use block housing, first-come-first-sleep style dormitories, the vampire will just never claim a bed.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 12:13:11 pm »

It's hard to call something an exploit when you are intended to solve a problem and the game gave you no solution. Although, the "last name someone has overwrites all previous names in history" thing is annoying. But since generally a vampire can and will operate forever on his own, it's safe to say that you can do whatever you can to hunt them down and execute them. I personally would build a tall tower and drop them on the next goblin siege. No matter what happens you have fewer problems then before.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »

You could reenact scenes from portal.  However since we lack the tech to make a glados or portal guns we'll just have to improvise.  A statue of armok can stand in for glados and you can construct test chambers consisting of lots of levers and magma.  Lots of !Science! potential.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 04:13:18 pm »

Its not an exploit. They don't sleep. So, if you use block housing, first-come-first-sleep style dormitories, the vampire will just never claim a bed.
And it worked. Ironically, it was the mason who put together the coffin for his victim. Confirmed as "Dodok" is also outrageously sober in a fortress that has yet to experience a dire shortage of booze. So, there's that.

I also feel like it's less of an exploit if I can rationalize a consistent in-universe explanation for the behavior.

Meet the new manager/bookkeeper!

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 05:18:36 am »

I don't think there is any true intended way to deal very much of anything in this game.  So many different options.  I for one train my vampire into a legendary fighter and deck it out in candy.  Then I'll usually lead him to cage trap that has been webbed or make him lose his balance and get trapped.  Build a tiny structure out in the wilderness with him caged inside and a lever connecting the cage.  I like to imagine the look on the goblins faces when the bridge opens, the cage springs apart, and a demonically powerful vampire legendary warrior dwarf comes flying out and tears them apart.  The cage system is a bit over the top.  I may just end up making his station out there a tower of death.  Have levels of lower tier weapon traps heading up to the top where the vampire is a book keeper forever, but does it as an offduty soldier fully decked out in candy.  Although perhaps I should just let him have steel.  That way if he somehow falls in battle I can pull the switch the open the magma reservoir above the tower.  Can't let the goblins get their greedy hands on the piles of business ledgers and stock information that must be piled around the vampires office.

Another option I have done is seal him off in a room with all sort of different workshops.  Then pit material from above like all the stone.  Then have him endless craft things for me.  Then I have him pit all those crafts down by the trade depot.  Either that or use locked doors or bridges to partition off a stockpile that he can store thing in, then block him from it, and have the rest of my dwarf forces gather it all up.  The vampire is the perfect worker like this.  Just make sure his home is covered in high quality furniture and every inch is legendary engravings and he will be fine.  Once in a while you can feed him a dwarf that just won't stop tantruming.  Imagine that dwarfs face as he's burrowed into a room, the door locks behind him, and a bridge lowers to reveal the nightmare horror just waiting for him to fall asleep.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 08:00:46 pm »

Aaaand, it seem the new manager is painfully slow at approving things.

Now I think I'll dump rock into his lair and have him make rock things and then dump them through a "garbage" chute to the main stockpile.

And if he goes bonkers, serves him right. There's a convenient nearby volcano.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »

Identifying vampires is simple: throw anyone who is accused of any murder into a river. If they survive, they're a vamp. If they don't, they're a corpse.
Dealing with them is a bit harder. I personally like the caged super warrior idea, but you can do anything from burning them with magma or fire to feeding them cheesemakers.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 09:40:22 am »

I used to make a separate mini-fort for them with an airlock, and fed them fish cleaners and such to keep them strong while they trained in whatever their skill was.   Had a special all-vampire military squad (3).

Amandor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 09:58:39 am »

I think I may have triggered a known intended way to deal with vampires. I wire Silver Spears to levers and command the vampire to enter a 3x3 room of Silver Spears, Then i R the lever with a dwarf who have no idea of the brutality he exercises in pulling that lever repeatedly.

What I noticed was that my mayor, (I had convicted the vampire of vampirism with like 4 witnesses) that he remembered in his recent moods field the "Impalement of the vampire [Dwarfish name] in the year of [Insert year]. Anyone else got these memories from any dwarfs after offing a vamp?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:00:39 am by Amandor »

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 11:51:32 am »

I just hammered him.

My hammerer broke a few fingers.

Due to an unfortunate accident, he'll be confined to that hospital bed awaiting treatment forever...

Ahaha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH~!!!
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4