Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The "intended" way to deal with vampires  (Read 11231 times)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "intended" way to deal with vampires
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »

If you want, you could mod in a new executioner position that uses something more deadly than a hammer, such as axes. Vampires might deal with bruises well, but hacking off their limbs should work fine.

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:43 pm »

As I imagine it, the dwarves might start to notice this one guy seems to know to much, talk about historical events like he was there, etc, and they get suspicious.

I have a coworker like that, but I think he's just a compulsive liar.

It has come to our attention that the body of Drazinononda has been found behind his place of work, drained of blood. If anyone has information relating to his death, we ask that you contact your local Sheriff immediately.

- Dwarf Fortress P.D.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:45 pm »

If modding isn't your thing, using a trained soldier as your hammerer would improve the odds of killing the vampire significantly.

As I imagine it, the dwarves might start to notice this one guy seems to know to much, talk about historical events like he was there, etc, and they get suspicious.

I have a coworker like that, but I think he's just a compulsive liar.

It has come to our attention that the body of Drazinononda has been found behind his place of work, drained of blood. If anyone has information relating to his death, we ask that you contact your local Sheriff immediately.

- Dwarf Fortress P.D.

Nah, it's cool, I'm pretty sure I saw a polar bear do it, and he's been dead for like two months, so, you know, case closed. In other, unrelated news, Drazinonda's coworker will be heading up the accounting department, effective immediately.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 05:59:11 pm »

If modding isn't your thing, using a trained soldier as your hammerer would improve the odds of killing the vampire significantly.
I think the problem is that vampires are more resiliant than dwarves, and that hammerings are decidedly less lethal when it doesn't damage the brain, or puncture a major organ with fractured bones. So even a skilled hammerer might have a hard time killing a vampire, but would be more successful.

Or we could danger-room the hammerer. Surely that would help even the odds.
But I still recommend modding the hammerer position. It shouldn't be too difficult, open the entities file, look for hammerer, change the name and weapon used.

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 08:22:38 pm »

I like the dip in magma thing

It's like old England - If they float, they're a vampire! If they drown (in this case, get incinerated) then... Oops
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:42:45 pm »

Death.  By exile.

Lock them out of your fort on the edges of your map (as many vamps as you may find), either chained up or behind glass walls or something similar.  Or give them a crossbow and 500 bolts and encase them in fortifications, instant vampire pillbox.  Eventually, if the fort lasts long enough, some gobbie or knife ear will put an arrow through his brain but by then he will have served his purpose.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »

Hammering can still kill vampires. In one fort I had, the vampire was hammered, sentenced to 743 days in chains for murder, and while chained died of infected wounds caused by hammering.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 04:40:14 am »

I though exploiting weird bugs and slightly unbalanced-features was how dwarf fortress was intended to be played.

*is interrupted by the screams and mechanical mincing sounds coming from his heavily weapon-trapped entrance*

Ah, looks like a siege has arrived..    8)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 11:32:19 am »

The proper way is to write up how your dwarves take care of this situation. My fort's sheriff still believe that vampires are under his care, but they are better off locked away after their first murder.

I have a king vampire who happily ruled through a fortification for years.

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:45 pm »

Great lever operators too.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 04:59:50 pm »

I've got an idea about making good use of a vampire.

Keep him safe for a while. Wait until a werewolf come, have a dwarf bitten.

Now you have a vampire and a werewolf. Make them both fall in love with the same girl. Make the girl marry the vampire. Modify the game so they could have a baby. Turn her into a vampire right after she gave a birth.

Register on this forum as Stephenie and post a detailed story about their relations.
. . .
Profit!
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 05:09:22 pm »

I usually just make cells for them to be locked in forever. Sometimes I'll make an airlock set up and put them all in a room together. From time to time I might dump a Kobold or Goblin in for entertainment.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 05:40:53 pm »

I love vampire bookkeepers/managers. Lock that door and they never need leave their stone throne.

But my new plan is to collect them. Once I get half a dozen and they're good and hungry, release them into the fortress as the only dwarves I care about. Everyone else becomes either food or a potential vampire.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 08:11:07 pm »

I usually stick them in the well on a spike trap.

Oh wait is this thread about dealing with vampires or dealing with them by just making it so that there are no more dwarfs?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 11:29:20 pm »

I personally have a thing for Amontillado cells.

Vampires wasting away for all eternity in a room they can't escape, doomed to live out in solitude until the great god Armok reforges the world upon his mighty anvil...

Even better if you can catch a werewolf.  After a few months of being naked and suffering from starvation and thirst, they go insane, yet are unable to die...They spend countless years, tortured by their curse, thirst, hunger, and their own absent sanity.

It's great, really.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4