Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Galactic Civilizations III - Released  (Read 14256 times)

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Civilizations III
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 04:20:55 pm »

I haven't because it's $100 frickin dollars, but I've seen it available... down by the bay *cough*.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 07:04:28 pm »

I'm tentatively interested. GalCiv II had some fantastic ideas, but for some reason failed to capture my long term attention.

After Elemental they'd probably have to pay me to get me too excited. Especially after how Wardell acted after.

This is actually why it has my attention. Fallen Enchantress, and its post-release content, has been REALLY good. I love that game, and I'm impressed with what Stardock were able to do with it. I hope they put their newfound skills (and staff?) towards GalCiv III.
They promised Master of Magic with multiplayer. Where's my Master of Magic with multiplayer? Stuck in producer's limbo?
._.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 09:10:41 am »

So, GC III. has been released. I am waiting for reviews, but on Steam: User reviews: Very Positive (762 reviews) ..this looks decent so far. I might buy the game if the "big" reviews will find it good.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 11:05:26 am »

So psyched to try the campaign. The intro trailer is amazing.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Civilizations III - Released
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »

I'm disapointed with the ship design thing . . . I wanted to be more like distant worlds.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 01:32:34 pm »

I played about 8 hours or so. It's pretty good. It's basically Galciv 2 but better. That's how I'd describe it.

I don't really have any problems with it that I wouldn't have had with Galciv 2. It's honestly the same game, just better. I like that.

I did have a memory leak issue after a few hours but that was solved by restarting the game.

Edit: So to elaborate:

1. The diplomacy is great as expected. AI works very well in that regard. Haven't had any complaints and they operate rationally.
2. Combat is nonexistent as expected. Basically just watching your ship models float around. Same as it used to be.
3. Ship building is fun but can get annoyingly complex. Same as the previous, just with more tweaking available.
4. Maps are huge.
5. They streamlined a lot of the UI things so things can get done faster now. For example, ordering constructor ships can be done via the space station itself so you don't have to do it manually.
6. The tech tree is vast and fun. It combines some elements where you can't have every single tech in the game without trading for it. There's also another new tree called ideologies which is nice too.
7. There's so many events. SO MANY.
8. The games has a really good "galactic empire" feel to it. Just like the previous one.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 01:35:58 pm »

I played about 8 hours or so. It's pretty good. It's basically Galciv 2 but better. That's how I'd describe it.

I don't really have any problems with it that I wouldn't have had with Galciv 2. It's honestly the same game, just better. I like that.

I did have a memory leak issue after a few hours but that was solved by restarting the game.

Can you say exactly what is better?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 01:40:21 pm »

Can you say exactly what is better?
Yeah, I edited the post with more info.

Honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of things to say about it because it really is just Galciv 2: The Better Version.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 01:57:19 pm »

regured buying this.
the ai is incredible weak. though it can expand quite well on hardes settings, its realy passive and never puts up a real fight. also, i dont mind if an ai gets some advantages to competete with a human player, but i hate if an ai doesnt have to obay the core game mecanics, witch is the case in this game (like, the ai doenst have to explore)

combat is a joke. the two options are quick resolve, and watching a slightly slower resolve, witch is painfull to watch and doesnt offer anything to influence the fight at all.

the ship designer theoretically allows to design new hull shapes (witch are purely cosmetical). alas, it so cumbersome to use that it takes forever just to add modules to the few default shapes. its realy unfun to use and a feature that hurts gameflow a lot and doesnt offer any real gameplay.

meh, could kick myself. the game was rather pricy, and the previous gc had completely retarded ai too, with made them borring to play. i should have known better.

compared to gc2, gc3 it will run on modern os while gc2 has the more interesting ship design options. for me, both games are ultimately unfun to play though.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 02:02:35 pm »

regured buying this.
the ai is incredible weak. though it can expand quite well on hardes settings, its realy passive and never puts up a real fight. also, i dont mind if an ai gets some advantages to competete with a human player, but i hate if an ai doesnt have to obay the core game mecanics, witch is the case in this game (like, the ai doenst have to explore)

combat is a joke. the two options are quick resolve, and watching a slightly slower resolve, witch is painfull to watch and doesnt offer anything to influence the fight at all.

the ship designer theoretically allows to design new hull shapes (witch are purely cosmetical). alas, it so cumbersome to use that it takes forever just to add modules to the few default shapes. its realy unfun to use and a feature that hurts gameflow a lot and doesnt offer any real gameplay.

meh, could kick myself. the game was rather pricy, and the previous gc had completely retarded ai too, with made them borring to play. i should have known better.

compared to gc2, gc3 it will run on modern os while gc2 has the more interesting ship design options. for me, both games are ultimately unfun to play though.
Did you turn on CPU intensive algorithms in GC2?
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2015, 02:07:59 pm »

I just really wish they had done more with combat. That was what I hated about GalCiv2 combat. It was 100% rock-paper-scissors with no control other than who can make the most ships. They had a chance to change both those aspects in #3, but they decided not to.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »

I'm disapointed with the ship design thing . . . I wanted to be more like distant worlds.

Agreed.

I just want Space Empires 6. Space Empires 5 was unbalanced, poorly optimized, and only a fraction of its potential.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 05:32:32 pm »

Oh, I should mention there's one change I really love. You can't build ships directly from planets any more. Instead, you have to construct shipyards in space itself. Shipyards on their own also can't do anything, they need to be sponsored by up to 5 planets. What this basically means is that ships and logistics play a huge part now as it's not so easy to spam ships everywhere to respond to threats. The shipyards themselves are major strategic locations and where you build them makes a huge difference. Also, the further the shipyard is from the planet that is sponsoring it, the slower it gets at producing.

It's a great system and I really love it. For example, I have 45 planets in my current game but only have 7 shipyards.

Also, here are some random screenshots for you guys. Warning, huge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 05:40:15 pm »

That tech advisor, does he still comment on everything thing via sometimes-terrible sometimes-funny jokes?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 05:57:08 pm »

Ya. Also it's different depending on your race.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9