Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game  (Read 56923 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »

Great storytelling! It was certainly worth the slightly longer waiting time. Could you perhaps post screenshots of a few vital things, like the latest fortress map and information on notable dwarves?
That's the one thing I'm so sorry I had to drop. I had minimal time constraints with RL and other stuff. So unfortunately, I had to drop the screenshots. If I had more time, I'd gladly post a few, but not many changes were made. I mined out some hematite, added a few workshops, the tower and the roof and engraved your office and the cells.

Oh, and I now have a tomb and my own massive room now since I became captain of the guard. And I see Jackal as one of those soldiers that he may be down, but he'll get back up when the time is right. He's Warden for a reason, right?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

GatorFace

• Bay Watcher
  • A face fit for a reptile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2013, 05:30:57 pm »

I am truly amazed that Rock-Eyes hasn't been killed by wild monsters or goblin ambushes yet.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2013, 06:40:49 pm »

Crap need to make a new Dwarf. Alrigth then i'll have a look at the save and pick someone then write a backstory.

Found one:

The clerk Kadol Oddomtomus.

Requesting the Name: Shining. Profession: Novelist.

Shining was originaly arrested for writing several small novels based around some rather unsavory elements of the Kingdom's history. It was classed as agitative propaganda. After his sentencing he was reconvicted while still in prison for writing ACTUAL agitative propaganda. He eventual staged no less than 3 riots in order to try and get out of jail. Earning him the enviable chance of going to Steelhold to simply get rid of him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:59:34 pm by Shininglight »
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2013, 07:47:01 pm »

Sorry for hating on Lenehan, but as I said, Modi hates elves. And also shes very brute force with everything and has a short fuse.
No need to apologize, your posts were excellently written and I feel that your focus on the relationship between the two characters helped to provide a clean transition between our turns. I've just downloaded the save, and I'll try to get to it as soon as possible. With Lenehan in charge, there are going to be some changes in the fortress; some big changes.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2013, 08:19:50 pm »

Sorry for hating on Lenehan, but as I said, Modi hates elves. And also shes very brute force with everything and has a short fuse.
No need to apologize, your posts were excellently written and I feel that your focus on the relationship between the two characters helped to provide a clean transition between our turns. I've just downloaded the save, and I'll try to get to it as soon as possible. With Lenehan in charge, there are going to be some changes in the fortress; some big changes.

Does it involve the circus? :D
...oh...it doesn't involve the circus?

...then catsplosions? No?

Enslavement by elves? Yes? Oh, okay, that's fine then.
(but can we still go to the circus?)
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

Okay, what was I dwarfed as.  Also:

Diary of The True Prophet, Entry 2
I have arrived at the miserable fort the nonbelievers sent me to as "punishment".  What little they know.  Nobody noticed me as I entered the fort, all the better to enact my plans.  Nobody will know about me, nobody will know I am here.  That is, until the time is right.

Diary of The True Prophet, Entry 3
It is the new year.  I watched from the shadows as the "Warden" handed over leadership to the elf worshiper.  While I have no problem with elves, they are not the chosen people of the true gods.  It is us, the dwarves, who must inherit this world, over the corpses of all others.  It is as the true gods demand.

Finishing his writing, the masked dwarf laid the quill back in it's holder.  He knew what must be done.
Kneeling down, he placed both palms to the earth, feeling for the power of his gods.  It came as a rush, washing over and through him, into the fortress.  Instinctively, he knew what it meant: the gods were sending dreams to spur followers to action.  The next morning, every dwarf would wake up having had a glorious dream of all the things they had ever desired brought to fruition.  Bending the power in the way only a true worshiper could, he added these words to the end: "These things, and more, can be yours, if only you believe."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2013, 09:53:56 pm »

Okay, what was I dwarfed as.  Also:

Diary of The True Prophet, Entry 2
I have arrived at the miserable fort the nonbelievers sent me to as "punishment".  What little they know.  Nobody noticed me as I entered the fort, all the better to enact my plans.  Nobody will know about me, nobody will know I am here.  That is, until the time is right.

Diary of The True Prophet, Entry 3
It is the new year.  I watched from the shadows as the "Warden" handed over leadership to the elf worshiper.  While I have no problem with elves, they are not the chosen people of the true gods.  It is us, the dwarves, who must inherit this world, over the corpses of all others.  It is as the true gods demand.

Finishing his writing, the masked dwarf laid the quill back in it's holder.  He knew what must be done.
Kneeling down, he placed both palms to the earth, feeling for the power of his gods.  It came as a rush, washing over and through him, into the fortress.  Instinctively, he knew what it meant: the gods were sending dreams to spur followers to action.  The next morning, every dwarf would wake up having had a glorious dream of all the things they had ever desired brought to fruition.  Bending the power in the way only a true worshiper could, he added these words to the end: "These things, and more, can be yours, if only you believe."
God damnit, I knew I forgot something!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2013, 10:19:09 pm »

Request to the next overseer:  Dwarf me as one of the dwarfs who has a non-dangerous profession, then, since highmax forgot.  And Highmax, it's fine, you were rushed.  Actually, it helps, because nobody has noticed him before now.

Kazimuth

• Bay Watcher
  • [ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE]
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2013, 01:08:23 am »

This thread is awesome!
Requesting dorfing as a reader.

Dwarf:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...that came out more horrifying than I expected  ???

So, anyway, yeah, male dwarf named Bees, hopefully with beekeeping (and maybe engraving). I also might be interested in taking a turn as overseer later, although I'm not sure how I'll RP it- five pages full of the word "bees", anyone?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:15:58 am by Kazimuth »
I'm not sure this was a good idea

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2013, 02:05:12 am »

Perhaps have one of the guards watch him and record his observations as bees buzzes around the hold?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2013, 02:20:40 am »

I'll add Bees during the Summer; he'll be an excellent example to demonstrate what horrors can occur from the industrious exploitation of animals.

Part I: Spring

From the journal of Lenehan:

1st Granite, 254

The plan worked better than I myself could have ever imagined. Modi has been deposed, beaten, and made a tyrant in the public's eye. The good warden was eager to reward me for my services to the colony, and provided for me a seat of leadership in the fortress. This is exactly what I have been needing for so long; the Elf Party finally has dominance. My plans have been piling up within my quarters, and now the time has come to execute them. My first order of business was to officially repeal the "No Elf Lovers Act" set in place by Modi, who has been officially discharged from the police force, and replaced by an approved member of society.

I have begun to take steps to improve the way of life within these halls. My goal is not to completely desstroy Dwarven culture, but rather to improve upon it; to use Elfish culture as a base for our empire. Only through a strong relationship with our Elfish friends can this civilization last one-thousand years. I must gradually phase out the old ways, for if I simply ban everything the citizens shall revolt. Various reforms shall be put in place whilst I work on my ultimate project.

I have left the military for now, in order to focus on my political goals. In addition, I have appointed myself to the position of official manager of the fortress, as there was no one in that position heretofore. Look upon your new leader Steelhold, for he has come to immortalize your people.

6th Granite, 254

There was a rather unfortunate occurance today, for the foolish miners who were tasked with digging out a section for my study dug into a damp section and the proposed site is now flooded with ocean water. A minor setback, but I'll manage to find a new site.

Meanwhile, a damned goblin made of with one of our children. We'll need to increase our security in order to repel those retched creatures.

17th Granite, 254

Today I cancelled Modi's ridiculous and continuous order for bone bolts in favor of a more useful item: rock pots. There is enough rock in this fort that we can make so many of them and they have the benefit of being able to hold the liquor that our race relies so heavily on.

20th Granite, 254

A kobold thief was spotted within our fortress today. No one managed to kill it, though it did not manage to escape with any of our goods. More security is definitely necessary.

25th Granite, 254

That the other overseers of this penal colony have had the tendency to lost their position in humilitaing or life-threatening ways has prompted me to commision immediate construction of a personal mausoleum by the shore. It shall be made entirely out of wood, and shall include caskets for my wife and me. My poor wife, imprisoned with me along with our son for the mere "crime" of relationship with an "elf-lover."

15th Slate, 254

I found many of the denizens of the fort lazing about in the dining hall, and ordered them to get to work on my tomb, despite them having no experience in carpentry or architecture. These lazy dwarves merely sap the resources of the colony and do not contribute anything to its leaders.

23rd Slate, 254

Construction on my tomb has caused our supply of wood to run low. As soon as the Elfish caravan returns, we'll be able to obtain some humanely-harvested logs for us to make use of. Hopefully, that Modi didn't cause them to declare war on this outpost. Speaking of her, I have not seen her lately; no doubt she is plotting my downfall.

28th Slate, 254

Troglodytes have been spotted ascending the stairwell deep within the cavern. I've sent the military to take care of this issue, for I have no doubt in its militaristic ability. I have also decided to finish Modi's guard tower, just as a way to improve the asthetic architectural design of this prison.

12th Felsite, 254

Today the elves arrived at our outpost with their trade caravans. I eagerly rushed outside to greet them and welcome them to the fortress. I apologized for the brash treatment of their kind last year, and I promised that we would make up for that behavior with goods of the highest quality. To ensure that their stay is successful, I have had my child followers lock Modi in her chamber for now.

16th Felsite, 254

As is to be expected from such a violent race, the goblins have come to attack this colony once again. I personally have time to deal with such matters, and have simply mobilized the army to deal with it while I approve my production orders.

17th Felsite, 254

The battle is already over, for our marksdwarves successfully crippled the invasion to allow for our melee squads to finish off the group. I have begun to miss my military service; I think I will appoint myself captain of my own squad sometime soon.

19th Felsite, 254

Another ambush was spotted today, and I've given the same orders. Hopefully this shall end just as well as it did last time.

21st Felsite, 254

The invaders were fought off, but at a price. We've lost several dwarves to the group and, most importantly, all but one of the Elven merchants were killed! This injured soul will report to his forest retreat and tell his queen about the horrors of this outpost! We'll need to repair the damages done quickly and effectively, or we may be in for serious trouble.

24th Felsite, 254

The ventalation shafts connecting from my laboratory have begun their construction today. Soon, my ultimate project will be realized, and Elven culture shall combine with Dwarven! My research in between production approvals has allowed me to plan the composition of my formulae, but I'll need the help of Dr. Asmoth in order to realize my goal. Perhaps, if I hold a meeting with her...

There was no manager in the fortress. I cannot be the only one who uses the job screen, can I?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2013, 02:21:05 am »

Reserved for Summertime; I don't know how the silly thing got double-posted.
Never mind.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:22:58 pm by Gnorm »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2013, 12:25:34 pm »

Don't forget about me like I forgot about Sarrak. And check the justice screen; did I get jailed at all?

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

Dude, Lenehan's not just a totalitarian elf-lover, he's self-important as all hell. Building a mausoleum for your family out of wood is going a bit too far, mate.

Why don't you just build it out of soap? OwO
(Subtle reference to my dwarf's backstory)
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2013, 06:06:42 pm »

Don't forget about me like I forgot about Sarrak. And check the justice screen; did I get jailed at all?
I checked the screen, and Modi does still seem to be alive, and has no current sentence pending.

Dude, Lenehan's not just a totalitarian elf-lover, he's self-important as all hell. Building a mausoleum for your family out of wood is going a bit too far, mate.
Well, he's not exactly intended on being the most likable character who ever lived.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22