Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game  (Read 56920 times)

Madbomber6

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 06:33:29 pm »

I'd like to join in as a reader. For my dwarf I'd like to have a Marksdwarf named Bomber  with the Ambusher skill as well as any others in the Ranger profession.

Backstory:
Bomber is the type of guy that if bullied into it will do anyone's bidding. Of course he is more than happy to do it if he avoids others wrath and doesn't get beaten to a pulp because of it. He spends a good bit of his free time getting into situations that he would rather not be in. Yet clearly not enough getting out of said situations. For most of his life Bomber was a hunter helping provide hides for his family's leather industry. But when war with the goblins came about Bomber was found expendable enough to get drafted into a squad of Marksdwarves. Most of dimwits barely could hold a crossbow with putting a bolt in their foot, the squad leader was not much better.  So for most of the war the squad of Marksdwarves spent trying to hit a target instead of themselves. Luckily the squad leader was replaced by a dwarf that was much more competent. Yet it wasn't in time for the squad because near the end of their training the war ended. Bomber was upset by this since going into the war he was seeking glory and didn't even come close to his goal. So Bomber decided that he was going to find glory another way, by going on an adventure. After some brainstorming he decided the best way to start this adventure would be to steal a noble's purse. Bomber did do just that but not without getting a sword against his throat. Lucky for him the local guard came before the noble changed his mind about letting Bomber live. So Bomber served one year of his sentence before being sent to the penal colony that had been created.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:03 pm »

Wow, that's a strange goal for glory... But seems to be a kind of a victim... I smell bullying from Modi and Sarrak! Especially since Modi seduced the head guard 8)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 10:04:20 pm »

Request for a dorf as a reader? Name is Ensomden ( saw someone translate norse so i tried norwegian :P Ensom Torden is "lonely thunder" Ensomden is just a shortening)

Ensomden was a dwarf whose origins are as of yet unknown. In fact, he doesn't know them himself. He was found in the fields by a militiadwarf patrolling. Despite his patrol, he brought the baby along with him, and unofficially adopted him. The baby dwarf had nothing but a note with him, hastily scrawled: "Ensom Torden". And as such he was named. However, he is known as Ensomden, a shortening of his name. As the dwarf grew, he developed a cleverness, wit, and he displayed a innate skill for fighting of all kinds, particularly with the sword and hammer. However, he had little moral. If he could remotely justify his desires or ideas, he would execute them with little care for consequence or possible victim. Should his adopted father have noticed such behaviors, they could have been amended before he became worse, as he was strict and very disciplining. Ensomden's cleverness protected him, and what little moral was there vanished overtime. As he grew older still, he eventually left his place of adoption and sought to settle elsewhere. He had no supplies however, and no one to settle with. He fell in love with a dwarf named Uvash Kurson, who loved him as well. However, her parents fought against them, as they viewed him a no good dwarf to be with; and they were right. Uvash and Ensomden ran off into the wilderness together, after Ensomden stole weapons, tools, and some supplies from nearby stores. They had been gone for about a week when the village guard noticed and began searching. Eventually, after close to three weeks after their leaving the village, the guard caught them both. Uvash was sent back to live with her parents who restricted her further; Ensomden was charged with kidnapping and theft, though only the latter was accurate. However, sufficient evidence was provided for conviction, and he was sent to the jail in the capital. He was eventually sent to the penal colony to be a soldier, though his records were sent along as well... 
Few trusted him, but he worked hard to gain their trust.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:31:00 pm by Icefire2314 »
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 02:54:31 am »

Erm, please install a magma trap at my bedroom entrance. Safety reasons...
By the way, i didn't intend to be on the turn list, just a reader. Might change

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 03:14:04 am »

This is interesting setting

Id like a dwarf if possible

Name: Gob
Pref a good wrestler for a squad if the fortress ends up recruiting inmates for meatshields, otherwise he does not have any redeemable skills beside beating things with hands or club and obeying simple commands

No one really knew where he came from or who he was, he was strong and big for a dwarf but all agreed he was an idiot. He spent his days entertaining his fellow dwarfs at his expense until one of the many pranks played on him went too far. Confused and cornered Gob lashed out using his retard strength he strangled a dwarf who was too zealous with the "gob beating stick". Deemed an unworthy offering to Armok he was sent off to a crazy project called Steelhold, a penal colony.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 07:05:23 am »

This is interesting setting

Id like a dwarf if possible

Name: Gob
Pref a good wrestler for a squad if the fortress ends up recruiting inmates for meatshields, otherwise he does not have any redeemable skills beside beating things with hands or club and obeying simple commands

No one really knew where he came from or who he was, he was strong and big for a dwarf but all agreed he was an idiot. He spent his days entertaining his fellow dwarfs at his expense until one of the many pranks played on him went too far. Confused and cornered Gob lashed out using his retard strength he strangled a dwarf who was too zealous with the "gob beating stick". Deemed an unworthy offering to Armok he was sent off to a crazy project called Steelhold, a penal colony.

Lenny? Is that you? :P

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »

My turn is now fully described! Brewster has one more day to respond and indicate that he's started working on the fort.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 03:14:30 pm »

Name: Urist McDead
Backstory: Ursit was a fisherdwarf drafted into the millitary. He joined and nearly died several times. After the last time, he decided to become a cheesemaker and then a potashmaker, but was jailed after his service record was reviewed and it was realized he deserted his unit
Skill: X in useless skill, X in non-defensive millitary skill.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 05:10:17 pm »

posted my backstory
"zzz"

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 05:39:17 pm »

posted my backstory
So a betrayed warrior? Sounds interesting... I smell an epic bond amongst the warrior-types, in my opinion.

By the way, does anyone here have trhe thoughts of actually changing their ways? Like being a "good" dwarf? Honestly, Modi isn't truly thinking about that at this time, but she (so weird...) might change her ways, but she'll always be a berserk soldier at heart

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »

If you wanna develop your character, feel free to write a journal entry or two. It'll really add to the story and get more people interested.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 05:50:06 pm »

If you wanna develop your character, feel free to write a journal entry or two. It'll really add to the story and get more people interested.
Yay! I think the guard and Modi will get along just fine... *steals the keys to the weapons room* ;)

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 06:31:35 pm »

Maybe not very practical but it would be cool if the whole place was full of levers, like the huge prison bars that automatically open and close passages in prisons.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 06:37:24 pm »

Maybe not very practical but it would be cool if the whole place was full of levers, like the huge prison bars that automatically open and close passages in prisons.
And to individual cells in case they get rowdy or break the laws!

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »

Ensomden's Journal

Day 1

I don't remember much, to be frank. I do remember waking with a cool breeze blowing. It was gentle, but the bump in the road we hit after that wasn't. I banged my head pretty hard, and that may have contributed to my lack of immediate memory. What else?... Oh, right. Should you be reading this, it's quite possible I've died in battle(courageously, I may add), or you are snooping in my room. Should the latter be true, be assured I WILL find you. I was convicted. What of, you may ask inquisitively. Injustice is the keyword associated with my conviction. I did commit theft, that is true, but is hardly a terrible crime; surely a fine is ample reparations? No. I was also convicted of kidnapping. They wronged me. She wanted to be with me. We were going to live together in the wilderness, make a home together, and love each other until literally death do us part. Were ever there a pair closer than we? Hardly imaginable. But that is the past. You see, her snobbish parents refused to allow us to be together. When we ran off, her parents sent the guard after us. We hid for some time, but they found us eventually. Such was inevitable. I'd only hoped for more time together...
When the guard found us, they immediately chained me and then treated her like a babe rescued from the goblin's dark clutches. They tortured me, disbelief in their eyes that the son of a renowned militia commander could commit such a felony. They were wrong. Did she even explain, she who I had loved so, and she me, whose name I do not even recall for the pain of betrayal is so overwhelming I fear myself entering a fit of rage? Yes, betrayal. She realized rather quickly she'd have to go back to those narcissistic parents of hers, and in a moment of self-preservation, abandoned me and sobbed to them, rather than face the punishment her parents could possibly think for her. She made me out to be a criminal. Do I truly blame her? I feared her parents before I had even known her. They were monsters and put my father to shame as far as discipline goes. Honestly, I feared for her. But did that mean I condoned her betrayal? Certainly not. That which could have been my salvation turned out to be my damnation. We were brought back after the soldiers had their fill of torture. My adopted father abandoned me, for a crime so great shamed our family, and he disassociated with me under the pretense that I was never truly his son. My betrayer whose name I have never since spoke- nay, even thought, was more than happy to deliver me into the hands of the justices, who sentenced me with hardly a second thought. My sentence was horrific, (at the time, since I hardly feel fear anymore, to be specific anything anymore) I was to be put in the caverns alone, with no armor, weapons, even my clothes were stripped. No food, no water. They sealed it after me, and utter darkness ensued.
At first I panicked. Certainly I would die! What with no means of ensuring my survival, my death would be arduously slow, and to say nothing of the pain. However, I remind you I was raised by a military man. What was panic turned into determination, I liken to tinder being set ablaze. I raced around, collecting some simple plants I managed to identify as edible. I could hear, though not see, the underground river, and I had two necessities filled. I had began to think of a way to create some temporary light using the towercaps underground when I heard a terrifying noise. One dwarfs hear and flee from, even those who had willingly fought the Forgotten Beasts, the Titans, Dragons even, whose fire could melt a mountain. I heard the hiss and the whistle of air as the webs flew, and I instinctively rolled behind the aforementioned towercap, which shuddered as the weight of the webs hit it. I felt the panic begin again, but this time I immediately worked through it. The giant cave spiders were something of myth to dwarves who'd never seen them; something they'd never want to see. I reached up and grabbed a sturdy branch while I felt the spider crawl slowly towards me, the ground tremoring in fear. I heaved and the branch snapped, perfectly how I wanted it to. A very jagged end, perfect for spearing with. I crawled up into the tree, careful to avoid the webs and making as little sound as possible. As the spider suddenly lunged forward around the tree to catch me, I jumped down right as he passed me, and landed square on his back. It realized I was in a position of advantage, and began writhing to get me free. Certainly it's undulations would have launched me in any direction which would've ended me, if not for the branch which served it's purpose. Ramming the branch into the back of the spider, it gave me a handhold to keep on the monster, and his writhing only opened the wound further. Despite the injury's small size in comparation to his size, it grew larger and he decided I wasn't worth the effort. With a great final heave, he threw me and the branch away(despite causing further injury to himself) and then crawled off. I was in disbelief that I had lived, and had suddenly decided a being of great power was watching over me. I was unsure why as of this time, however. As I went back to beginning to think of a way to create light, after I had calmed down that I was alive, I realized light was appearing, unrelated to my idea or efforts. They were breaking back down the wall, and a small squad came in, equipped with crossbows, and one with a sword. He immediately reshackled me without a word and dragged me back outside.
I was thrown before the queen in a jumbled, nude heap. I'd never felt so shamed in my life. The queen seemed to have no pity however, as she told me that I was not suitable to just be fed to spiders. A new penal colony was being established, called Steelhold, and I was to be a part of it as far as a guard went. While they missed my narrow escape with the spider, they saw his ichor on the end of the stick and assumed what I did. She also shared I was originally to be hauler, as punishment for my alleged deed, but as I'd proven myself more useful, that my... talents, as she put it, would be used to benefit the colony.
I have respect for the queen, though I was slightly outraged at this, that I was nearly killed, just to be told that I would be more useful in a different position of danger, this time working for them. However, this was a new lease on life. And we left to the colony the following day by wagon, in the stores were a weapon or two and no armor that I knew of. And so I came to be a part of Steelhold.
I'd never been a particularly virtuous character. My moral compass has always been pointing somewhere southwest. I feel greed, anger, and many other negative emotions. But yet, I do have some good things about me. I am humble, and I am diligent, and obedient. Further, I am loyal to those who hold my best interests.  I did not think the queen planned me any harm when she sent me here, rather that I would be useful in furthering the dwarven society. I only hope I can succeed. I only hope I can clean the slate, and in time bring honor back to my name, and to my family, that my father might forgive me. And that she may regret her decision.
"zzz"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22