Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game  (Read 56881 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2013, 11:14:33 pm »

22nd of Galena, 253: Human Trade Issues
Humans came with a large caravan today. I like humans more then elves, but still not by much. I went with Jackal to negociate prices and the like with them, only we all got into an argument. It got heated enough to the point the guards of the Caravan pulled swords on us so we wouldn't attack... BIG mistake. The Convict army arrived along with the marksdwarves and we all readied ourselves. The humans then said they will leave if we leave them unharmed, but then I went up to the caravan guard, beat him to a pulp for aggravating us, threw him in their caravans and said they must leave all their stuff behind if they wish to not return home like that or worse. The traders, really frightened by a woman dwarf such as myself, they left all their goods behind and tended to the wounded guard as they left. Bastard got what he deserved. Now Lenehan doesn't mind this, but he's been unhappy with me since the Elf robbery. He also seems to be mingling a bit with the children... That's more then terrifying.... I must talk to him before he starts getting the children to think elves are equal to dwarves...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2013, 11:37:52 pm »

From the journal of Lenehan

17th Felsite, 253

In retrospect, I should not have thought the dwarf Modi would be any less of a tyrant than Sarrak, who now burns in Hell, was. When the Elfish trade caravan arrived at our outpost today, I was eager to discuss diplomacy and trade with the group. Modi, however, seemed piqued by my friendly attitude towards them. True, I have already grown quite used to this, though Modi seemed different; it is not spite for the elves that she feels, it is pure, unmitigated hate. I tried to calm her, I tried to explain what great benefits close relationship with the elves could bring to our culture. She refused to listen, and grabbed me by the throat to the point that I could hardly breathe. When she released me, - by dropping me, with quite a force, to the ground - she ordered the elves to leave the outpost without their goods, under penalty of death. I gave her a stern look to show my complete disapproval with her doings. My glance was returned with a grin, a grin like that of a maniac; the grin reminded me of Sarrak.

On a more positive note, the children of this penal colony have proven to be quite adaptable. So eager to break from tradition, these youths are. Their progressive attitudes will aid me well.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2013, 12:13:52 am »

Sorry for hating on Lenehan, but as I said, Modi hates elves. And also shes very brute force with everything and has a short fuse.

27th of Galena, 253: Confrontation and Trolls in the Dark
A ranger was attacked by a troll today, and the army marched out to attack it. A recruit began to bash him with his crossbow before anyone else arrived, scaring the beast farther into the depths. He passed his fallen comrades corpse, and then fought harder. Then another recruit came and finished the job by twisting his newly gained longsword into the beasts skull. I may have missed out on the action, but I commend the guards for their work. I made my way back upstairs when I saw Lenehan talking to the children again. I went to confront him when I heard him speaking to them about how great elves are. I knew it! I grabbed him and pulled him aside into my new room and had a chat with him. And by chat, I mean I began to hit him with my axe handle several times before I asked him what the hell he thought he was doing. He said that not all elves were evil right away. I asked him to prove it to me. He looked up and said he cannot prove it if my mind was already made up. I kicked him in the stomach and told him I got plenty of time, and he needs to convince me to not kill the elves in the next caravan if there is one. He then began to tell his tale about his goblin raid gone wrong, and the elves took him in and healed him and whatnot. It was almost storybook, but I told him then what I trohught of them and why I thought so.

I had a squad I was really close with during the Elf-Dwarf war and the captain was a good friend of mine, perhaps like a brother, but then again, we were all brothers and sisters when the battle starts. We were assigned to go fight a small camp of them which held no more then twenty elves and their mounts. We were outnumbered, but we were the best of the best. We were armed to the teeth with steel and we attacked them. It turned out twenty elves became two hundred in the matter of minutes, for reinforcements came by at the worst time. They captured us all alive, but wounded, some mortally. They then began it by killing off the captain, my best friend, first, by lopping off his arms and then gutting him like an animal as he was still breathing. And then they... They ATE him... They did this until there was three of us left, and the hate in our hearts was too great. They lectured us on how trees were sacred and how animals are friends, not a food source. Everytime they said that, I spat on them and told them I would skin every last one of them until my captain was avenged. We were kept alive for days without food or water, and they constantly cut us with their knives of wood, and my friend who got more out of line then I got mauled by one of their war-tigers. He lived, but his face was disfigured, and his arm was gone. He died the next day. Then, luck had it that our forces came in the night and attacked the camp. I was freed and my last squadmate and I took our gear back and slaughtered our captors more then the army did themselves. He was killed later by the camp's leader who I killed myself when I split his skull.

And ever since then, I have hated elves, and the reason why I'm here? An elf came in and killed my new squadmate and my captain said let him go when he was caught. I killed my captain and the elf got away still. Lenehan stood silently until he burst out laughing when I finished. I then proceeded to kick the shit outta him, not caring if he was begging for mercy afterwards. Jackal came in and grabbed me before I could kill him, and Lenehan ran off bruised and cursing me with every inch of his soul. He may be a crossbowdwarf and a rebel, but this is MY fortress, and its MY rules, and I will NOT be mocked...

((BTW, Guess whos turn is after mine? Gnorm, I'm going to set up a little story for the transition between turns))

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2013, 12:37:10 am »

20th of Limestone, 253: Bags and More Death
Sommeth just died today. Asmoth says it was from infection. I'm just glad we got plenty of coffins and some useless holes filled up for a graveyard. Lenehan has been avoiding me and I want it kept that way. I had someone watch over him to make sure he didn't talk with the children anymore, so that way we can maintain proper order. That tower was finally finished and engraving is finally done on my room. All I need is my furniture placed and I'm all set. As for the cells, they're now being engraved as well. I constantly walk among the others now, maintaining order and justice as I deem fit, kind of like as if I'm hammerer but with an axe. I then gave Jackal the hammerer position, delivering my justice wherever I deem it. He seems to be under my arm again, so this is good. I also seem to be falling more for him, but I cannot say it properly, because marriage only makes it harder to work with him sometimes...

Our weaver made the most useless bag ever. It is literally a silk bag with BASALT coating it. Why would you make a bag out of that!? I had Jackal give him a good thrashing for being useless. The sod is still alive since Jackal used his fists, but he's lucky. Recuits are now learning how to hold their weapons steady, now becoming swordsdwarves and the like. WE may have a fighting force yet!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2013, 12:54:46 am »

Asmoth's Log, Galena 253:

Patient 1

Patient name: Irrelevant, subject is unlikely to be of use to Steelhold ever again.

Injuries: Serious motor nerve damage, several broken bones, lost one limb (arm), severe psychological damage. Some cuts were acquired during treatment when he attempted to steal my medallion, though of course, this did not affect my treatment of him. Much.

Notes: I'm glad of the opportunity to be able to study the prowess of one of the legendary megabeasts first hand. Of course, it would have been ideal for the militia to capture the beast so I could study a live specimen, but the corpse is a fascinating subject by itself. Oh, and I suppose it would have been nice if Subject had escaped uninjured.

Additional notes: I've attempted to convince Modi to lay a few cage traps around Steelhold's wilderness so that we can obtain some live test subjects, preferably of intelligent species. Related: I also mentioned to Modi that it may be a poor idea to antagonise both races willing to trade with us, though I didn't press the issue. Our leader clearly either has some deep psychological trauma or is a kleptomaniac sadist.

Patient 2

Patient name: Lenehan

Injuries: Blunt force trauma over most of his body, minor axe wounds, bruising on the throat several days old (prior confrontation?), deep seated belief that elves are not bastards.

Notes: Lenehan was brought to me by Jackal, one of our fortress guards, after a confrontation with Modi. He seems almost suicidally determined to convince her that elves have some merit as a species. As I have been unable to obtain a live test subject to experiment on (and the elves were always inexplicably unwilling to provide one- during the wars, elven prisoners had an unfortunately high death rate, perhaps in revenge, perhaps simply a contrary effort to prevent me testing them). In any case, I recommended that he not raise the subject again with Modi in charge, though I have a feeling that he'll be one of my beds again soon enough.

Additional note: After Modi's actions towards the traders this year, we may be on the brink of elven invasion. If this is the case, Lenehan may prove a dangerous subversive, likely to attempt to force us to surrender to them. If not, then he may suffer psychological damage from battling a race he admires so. The only action available to me at the moment is to hope that the elves are more patient than they typically are.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2013, 01:07:31 am »

You forgot the patient who had every bone in his body broken in your list, but the one without an arm was pretty funny

23rd of Sandstone, 253: Asmoth and Migrants
Asmoth and I had a small meeting in which he told me to have some cage traps set up. No problem I told him. He also cautioned me to not provoke the Humans and Elves. I told him the Humans acted uncivilized and the Elves are not any better at their best. He just shook his head and reminded me of the cage traps for testing.

Regardless, more migrants arrived today, bringing our total number of dwarves to 156, which is a very, very large number indeed. Lenehan seems to be talking with other dwarves, but not about elves... This is VERY strange indeed... What could he be talking about?

EDIT:
Later:
Our miner just gave birth to triplets... oooooh boy...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:09:50 am by highmax28 »

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2013, 01:12:08 am »

that crazynes with the minotaur and goblins was pretty sweet, if i stop being lazy soon ill try and do a drawing of that somehow

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2013, 01:25:05 am »

8th of Timber, 253: Justice
Today I began my life as the new Captain of the Guard. I started by fixing the mandate order that was ignored by the spinner... He revcieved a beating within inches of his life. It felt so good when I heard his bones crack against my fists... Especially when I cracked his skull. He won't be breaking any more laws... Or doing very much else now. Jackal thinks I went a little bit too extreme, but I deemed it necessary. I then went to Gob and then gave him a thrashing for another violation of a production order. He was enraged for sure due to this, but it felt wonderful... They cannot do anything to me at all since I rule now. Asmoth went and patched up his busted nose and his cut open hand. That'll teach him... Everyone is starting to get back in line. I pass by Lenehan every now and then just to make sure he isn't violating the new "No Elf Lovers" law I added. That will make sure he doesn't try anything funny with the children again

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2013, 01:51:31 am »

22nd of Timber, 253: Dwarven Merchants and Rumors
I just got word that the caravans from the mountainhomes have arrived. I let Jackal do all the talking but I stood by, after all, the mountainhomes knew we were lovers, so its fine. We traded some food and bolts, and some wood, but not much else. We offered them some stuff as well, and Jackal then went and met with the Liason. Hopefully some good will happen in the next year's caravan.

We also have a murder that occoured, but I am the only one who knew who did it... Why? Because I am the law, and I was the one who apparently did so. But justice is justice, no matter what the consequences are!

LATER:
An ambush, right in front of the merchants! This is bad... To arms! Before we arrive, the caravan guards grab their gear and hold the line. One is wounded but not killed. HE tangles with the goblin, strangling it and bashing its skull in. Then our team of crossbowdwarves arrive and unleash a barrage of bolts into the squad of goblins. They retreat but not without some casualties. Some snatchers trying to take it as an opportunity to strike flee as the guards catch them and kill them quickly. The barrage of bolts continues, but the goblins are too far now. We were lucky but the swordsman who was hurt isn't doing so well... Her leg is broken and cut open. I fear she may die before she returns home...

((If you don't mind, I'm going to wrap it up in the morning (about 6 hours from now). Its 2am here and I have a great idea to end my turn to hut it off to Gnorm. Do I have your permission and the others permissions ass well to take a few more hours?))
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:04:17 am by highmax28 »

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2013, 05:06:06 am »

You've done a lot of work on the update already, so I'd be a bit of a dick if I were to say 'no' and discard it all. Go ahead and take the time you need.
Also, Shininglight, you'll need a new dorf if you'd like to commence your turn after Gnorm's.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2013, 05:26:29 am »

Heh... It was great finale for my dwarf. Althogh it seems that I forgot to unforbid supplies... Or else I won't die so quickly. Well, doesn't matter. I will look after your butchers from Eternal Halls. And if they won't succeed in killing fluffy poor defenseless animals... He-he-he...  ;D
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2013, 12:44:41 pm »

4th of Opal, 253: Traps and Problems
I was informed another snatcher was found. Good news is, we caught him in our traps that Asmoth wanted built. Bad news is we need more traps now. I also saw a ranger kick off the craftsdwarf off his workshop. He wants crap for some reason. LEts give him his stuff and let him leave; we need bone bolts!

As for that incident with the murder, Jackal claims he's going to find them and toss them into the cages he just put up. I may be captain of the guard, be he's still technically warden. Maybe that's why I fell for him? Regardless, I may have to pin this murder on someone... Perhaps that Elf Lover...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2013, 01:29:00 pm »

17th of Obsidian, 253: Justice?
I'm writing in haste, and I'll tell you why.

I was writing up the report for framing Lenehan when the guards, Jackal excluded, showed up backing up Lenehan. His bruises healed, but he looked rougher then before. He grinned maliciously. I grabbed my axe and demanded what the menaing of this was. Lenehan smiled wider and said I am charged with the murder of the spinner, as the Bowyer was the one who witness the whole thing but was too scared to say anything. The guards then came and grabbed me. Just then we all felt a horrible feeling come over us. Lenehan dropped his crossbow and we all ran upstairs, as did the convict army as we passed by them. We looked outside the gate and saw the forces of the goblins marching on Steelhold.

I rallied the forces after I backhanded Lenehan for trying to do what he did. I told Jackal to lead us to battle, and we rallied our forces outside the gates. We will fight the enemy off or die trying!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2013, 02:16:09 pm »

23rd of Obsidian, 253: The War Ends
I can only recall what I saw, which wasn't much. Jackal was there at all fronts ,so most will be said from what he saw. A lone axedwarf ran out, barely a novice and was killed after killing a goblin. He was a guard. Marksdwarves came and unleashed hell on them, killing many of the forward attackers. Then their archers returned fire, killing three of our archers. We captured several of them and some hamster men for Asmoth. I realized that we lost some good men, but we defeated them at last. It was then Lenehan and the Archers all aimed their crossbows at me. And the guards surrounded me. I readied my axe and Lenehan held his hand up. "I want him alive, enough blood was shed today. Modi, by the order of Steelhold, you are convicted for the murder of the Spinner and abusing power like a tyrant. You beat people constantly and you broke the wills of several here. You did a bad thing by beating up Gob, that spinner, and myself. Now the entire Hold wants you out of power." I looked at Jackal who was off to the side, not part of the group but not doing anything. Could I blame him?

"What do you want to do then, elf pig?" I spat on Lenehan and he proceeded to beat me with the crossbow. I then fought back and we exchanged blows, but he pinned me down. The other guards then put me in chains and walked me down to the jail hall.

28th of Obsidian, 253: Parole and new Order
Jackal then came forth and then spoke up. He said as Warden, let me go, but he will keep an eye on me, like parole, but worse. He then said as punishment, Lenehan should take over. Everyone was surprised, a guard letting an ELF LOVER take over the fort? As Jackal took me out of the cage he then proceeded to smack me with his mace a couple times. He then said it was to make it appear that I was beaten for justice. He then whispered as we walked off that even tohugh Lenehan takes over now, he has plans to eventually bring power back to the guards. And to do it, he needs my cooperation and the cooperation of others. He agrees that an elf lover can't take us over, but he'll let it go for a year at the latest and let power jump to another convict until he regains power and military might. I nodded; because anything was better then being led by your enemy...

((There we go, now heres the save:))

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »

Great storytelling! It was certainly worth the slightly longer waiting time. Could you perhaps post screenshots of a few vital things, like the latest fortress map and information on notable dwarves?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22